Old sweet shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old sweet shops

Memories of glass jars with red lids of all different sweets on the shelves and in shop windows.

Everton Mints
    Mint Humbugs
    Coconut Mushrooms
    Lemon Sherbert
    Bomboms
    White CHocolate Buttons with 100s of those sugargy bits
    Pontefract Cakes
    Rhubarb Custards
    Pineapple Chunks

Those weighing scales they used and the sweets would go into a white paper bag,if the shop didnt have a chunky till,the money would go in the draw behind the counter

Re: Old sweet shops

Thing is we have a shop in my town called mackles been there since before i was born and nothing has changed the same old weighing scales.

The white paper bag, the old clear screw top boxes up high on the shelves.

Still has them sweets you mention amethyst.
    Only thing thats changed is the people who work there.

It also sells ice cream.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Oh wow darren its good to hear these places still survive

Comment

we had 5 or six of them but its the only one thats survived still does a roaring trade as well.

ITS KINDA LIK WALKING INTO A DIFFERENT WORLD.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        Oh wow darren its good to hear these places still survive

Comment

Decisions Decisions what do I choose so much choice

Comment

There is a small old fashioned sweet shop just off Parkway in Sheffield (at least it was there 4-5 years ago last time I was in there), has all those old fashioned jars of sweets all over the place.

Comment

I also remember the ice-cream freezer in our local sweet shop, it was a huge beige thing with two lids on the top (you couldn't see into it until you opened the lid)

It kinda reminded me of a 1950's american car in it's design, the thing was huge!

Comment

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
                There is a small old fashioned sweet shop just off Parkway in Sheffield (at least it was there 4-5 years ago last time I was in there), has all those old fashioned jars of sweets all over the place.
                So tempting from the window that you just cannot resist

Comment

Have you any pics of it mate ur local sweet shop u could maybe find it online.

What was the shop called can you remember.

Originally posted by jedi knight View Post
                  i also remember the ice-cream freezer in our local sweet shop, it was a huge beige thing with two lids on the top (you couldn't see into it until you opened the lid)

it kinda reminded me of a 1950's american car in it's design, the thing was huge!

Comment

was in the North East recently in a lovely town called Yarm and went in to a replica olde sweetie shoppe and got chatting with the lady who ran the place, and business wasn't so great so got guilted into buying a 1/4 of shrebert lemons and Kola Kubes. all the jars, all the sweets, all present and correct. lovely.
                    Hangin' Around

Comment

My old sweet shop still does a roaring trade we had five or six old seet shops in my town but its the only one to have survived from when i was nipper until now.

SOMETIMES ITS THE PART OF THE TOWN THAT COULD BE THE REASON THAT SHOP ISNT DOING WELL.

Originally posted by malatesta View Post
                      was in the north east recently in a lovely town called yarm and went in to a replica olde sweetie shoppe and got chatting with the lady who ran the place, and business wasn't so great so got guilted into buying a 1/4 of shrebert lemons and kola kubes. All the jars, all the sweets, all present and correct. Lovely.

Comment

I remember one sweet shop with affection, Abbott's, Trealaw. Always a good selection of chocolate, boiled sweets etc. There was also a wonderful selection of ice cream. Cola bottles, Blackjacks, Cola cubes......2016, thinking about this, it's 1976.
                        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I used to love my local sweet shop! The man who ran it was so friendly and cheerful. I remember he always used to whistle tunes really well and I was always amazed at how well someone could whistle!

It's a shame most old sweet shops are online now. I have tried buying online before and their old fashioned sweets are nice and exactly how I remember them. But it's not quite the same as when I was a kid and could wonder down to the local shop with 20p and come back with a bag full of goodies!

Ahhh the memories
                          Last edited by Heather74; 12-04-2016, 14:44. Reason: removing sales link

Comment

Working...
                          X