Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Morning Worship

Default Re: Morning Worship

I am also in favour of church services on TV at Christmas and Easter, however I almost feel that the days of these could almost be numbered sadly because of the changes in TV scheduling. One thing to look at is the Bank Holiday schedules over the past five years or so for example - on Bank Holiday Mondays there used to be end-of-the-pier type specials, and the odd Superman and James Bond on, now it's business as usual especially on ITV, albeit with a shortened news bulletin. My point is that if such normal scheduling can replace films on a Bank Holiday, then it seems that the same effect could eventually extend to Christmas and Easter, and that could even mean church services being cut back and even axed. I wouldn't be surprised that by the early 2020s BBC 1 would be showing Homes Under the Hammer at 10.00 am on Christmas morning rather than the traditional church service.

Come January 1993, Highway was "demoted" to 2.00 pm on Sunday afternoon, and ITV had shown Hollywood movies from 6.30 pm until 8.30 pm when something like You've Been Framed came on. OK, people don't go to the cinema to see a church service or go church to see a film in a mainstream sense, but I believe that George Carey would have been against the move understandably.

I have never lived in London myself not even back in the 1980s, but I think that from YouTube clips that I have seen, LWT did do quite a few regional programmes which reflected the diverse population of London more than Thames did - they had the LMU (written in the same way as the LWT stripes were) - the London Minority Unit. The London companies did have power to dominate the network which is what they did - Oxford Street based retailers and all that provided a lucrative source of advertising for the London region especially in the weeks running up to Christmas each year.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

I think there is some truth to what you say about LWT producing more local programmes than Thames did to reflect the cultural and religious interests of the region. One such programme was Credo.

Highway was moved to 2PM because the Sunday evening God slot had been legally abolished on 1st January 1993. ITV companies had been lobbying for the God slot to be abolished for years.

There used to be a body called the Central Religious Advisory Committee (CRAC) which advised on religious matters to both the BBC and ITV companies. It was comprised of representative figures of the main Christian denominations but it did not have any representatives from non-Christian religions. As its name suggests, it only operated in an advisory capacity and it had no real power and authority to dictate matters when it came to programme production.

The IBA also had its own committee comprised of representatives from the established churches of England, Wales, and Scotland, along with the Roman Catholic and the Free Church, but again, no representatives of non-Christian religions. I believe that this committee held more authority over ITV companies and their programmes than CRAC did.

I am too young to remember Credo (I assume that the programme name rhymed with "Play Doh"), although I have seen it mentioned in TV listings from around 1978 - I always assumed that it was a predecessor to Highway. Funnily enough, in an episode of In Bed With Medinner, in the part of the programme where he plays clips of old programmes on his industrial video machine, Bob Mills plays the Credo theme tune after pausing and rewinding it, commenting that it gave him happy memories hearing the theme tune again. Credo was made by LWT (I think), and I suppose as a weekend company, they were a lot more responsible for religion than Thames was.

Songs of Praise seems to be hanging on a thread these days - it always seemed to be on at around 6.45 pm, and now it could be on at any time on a Sunday afternoon.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).