Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning Worship

Default Morning Worship

Every Sunday morning ITV used to broadcast a televised Anglican church service. A total of 52 episodes a year with a different church every time.

Morning Worship was less of a television programme and more of a national institution. Everybody knew it existed but who exactly watched it?

I was once talking to an ITV cameraman who used to video Morning Worship. He was part of the same team who videoed football matches on Saturdays then stayed in a hotel overnight. Therefore churches in close proximity to football grounds were more likely to be selected for Morning Worship than those far away.

Morning Worship 'died' because it was unprofitable for ITV. It was shown without any commercial breaks, then ITV was left with a video recording that had little commercial value.

Default Re: Morning Worship

I think also the same team that filmed the wrestling for Saturday afternoons shot the church service as well, remember we also had the Epilogue last thing at night before closedown and the "god slot" on Sunday evenings which at the time was compulsory.The last god slot ratings winner was STARS ON SUNDAY.

I've heard the outside broadcasts on Multi Coloured Swap Shop were made by the same camera crews who would be covering football games for Match Of The Day the same day.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Highway filled the Sunday evening God slot but it was a bit before my time.

Religious programmes on ITV is a concept fraught with controversy.

God slot was dreary, poetry readings on "Rain on the leaves", Jean morton with "Tingha and tucker" and a long forgotten very strange series called "Pilgrims progress" which is best described as sureal abstract drama.look thru old 1960s tv times to get a feel of tv between 6.00pm and 7.25pm.

I remember telling my Dad that there was a war film on he was missing when I saw it in the TV Times - I thought it was Morning Warship.

Nobody has answered my question about who exactly watched Morning Worship?

From today's perspective Morning Worship was undeniably an oddball programme. Did any other countries ever televise church services on a weekly basis then show them on a main channel?

I never did i was never up early enough.

Id imagine other countries did or do still do it.
    Actually i think the republic of ireland have such a programme.

A programme like this should not be about making profit.

Quote Originally Posted by arran View Post
    nobody has answered my question about who exactly watched morning worship?

From today's perspective morning worship was undeniably an oddball programme. Did any other countries ever televise church services on a weekly basis then show them on a main channel?
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

The people who watched this would be i guess more elderly folk who enjoyed the service on a Sunday morning without going out to church, "Songs of praise" is still running.
    As a commercial venture if you channel surf thru your sky dish you'll find loads of religious stations catering for this need, Benny Hinn is the most outrageous character with his healing campaigns attracting thousands of followers and even more "donations" worldwide.Some interesting info' can be found on this guy by googling him.
    Morning worship will appear normal compared to Benny Hinn's "this is your day".

It superficially seems strange why ITV was tasked with broadcasting Morning Worship rather than the BBC as part of its public service obligation. Could it have had something to do with the way that ITV was regional which made it much easier to televise church services throughout the whole of Britain if the task was shared between every ITV company? For example, Border Television could easily televise a church service in a quaint Cumberland village that the BBC doesn't even know exists, or if they did, sending a cameraman to it would be like sending a cameraman to Mars!

I had a deep think about who would have watched Morning Worship which ended in the following conclusions:

1. A small handful of armchair types who enjoy looking at different churches and their Sunday services but they would never regularly attend church themselves.

2. People who regularly attend church services but are unable to do so that day because of illness or their transport is not available. I can visualise them in their living rooms standing up and singing hymns at hymn time then sipping wine at communion time.

Am I more or less correct?