Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning Worship

Default Re: Morning Worship

Yes more or less,and there was a requirement for a certain number of hours allocated to religious broadcasts, as well as limitations to broadcasting hours in general,plus a limit on the quantity of U.S. shows etc, of course everything now is deregulated.
    Don't know if ITV were tasked with airing M W perhaps it was their idea to do it anyway, sandwiched between adult education progs on a Sunday morning, what else could they put out? its obviously low budget to record anyway,and bearing in mind the audience available at that time of day on a Sunday back then, it seems a good money saving option.
    Back in the '60s early '70s daytime tv was very much a wasteland, people watched tv at night not in the day, radio was the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by angliaknight View Post
    Yes more or less,and there was a requirement for a certain number of hours allocated to religious broadcasts, as well as limitations to broadcasting hours in general,plus a limit on the quantity of U.S. shows etc, of course everything now is deregulated.
    Don't know if ITV were tasked with airing M W perhaps it was their idea to do it anyway, sandwiched between adult education progs on a Sunday morning, what else could they put out? its obviously low budget to record anyway,and bearing in mind the audience available at that time of day on a Sunday back then, it seems a good money saving option.
    Back in the '60s early '70s daytime tv was very much a wasteland, people watched tv at night not in the day, radio was the choice.
    It was mostly schools & "household hints" programmes in the mornings, & with only a couple of pre-school childrens shows around lunchtime, with a soap or 2.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Morning Worship was first broadcast in 1958 and it could originate from the religious morality at the time.

The Sunday evening God slot was created as a consequence of the social practice in the early to mid 20th century of attending Sunday evening church services. In the 1950s the Post Office regulated all forms of communications (even holding power and authority over the BBC) issued an instruction that television channels must close down for about an hour on Sunday evenings because otherwise it could result in a sharp fall in church attendance. After a lot of arm wrenching by ABC (which held the weekend franchise in the Midlands, North West, and Yorkshire) a compromise was reached where ITV could broadcast during this time providing that it showed religious programmes - and so the God slot was born.

There was also legislation where no television programmes for children, or those that would appeal to large numbers of children, could be broadcast on a Sunday afternoon because they were supposed to be at Sunday school.

When the limit to broadcasting hours was relaxed,early '70s iirc, "Rainbow" "first report" news,Emmerdale farm, crown court, magazine shows for women Houseparty, afternoon plus, but the shows i liked the best were "Junkin" "Looks familiar" and "the amazing world of Kreskin", even the wrestling got a midweek lunchtime look in.

ITV companies rarely archived Morning Worship because they had no plans on repeating an episode. It was broadcast live and recorded onto reel to reel video tape. The only reason for recording it was in case they had to resolve complaints from viewers. About two weeks later the tape was recorded over. One ITV company had every episode they produced in their archive on VHS video tape recorded at home by one of the cameramen.

It was quite common for ITV companies not to archive minor programmes but unlike the BBC they have saved most of the popular networked programmes.

I forgot to add that STV and Grampian ITV regions didn't usually show Morning Worship but instead had their own programme called Sunday Service from a (Presbyterian?) church in Scotland. The only times they showed Morning Worship was a few rare occasions when the programme originated from a church in Scotland.

It's quite sad that ITV think that their audience is Atheist or even have no religion at all - saying that, on Sunday mornings, my late father used to switch the TV off and have the radio on. BBC 1 only has Sunday services at Easter, Pentecost (although not every year) and obviously when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday. Since the late 1990s, religion to an ITV scheduler is an about overpaid actor sipping the holy wine in the Rovers Return, and having two characters getting married.

Scottish and Grampian probably used to have Sesame Street or some DIY programme while the other regions had the church service, unless it came from Scotland of course. It was mostly middle-ranking companies such as Anglia that used to have their church featured on a Sunday morning. And as soon as you given at least an hour to get over the excitement of someone winning a speedboat on Bullseye, along comes Highway which used to literally be Songs of Praise a la ITV with Sir Harry Secombe in the Grampian region or somewhere as exotic.

I know that the Church of England and other denominations of the Christian faith have criticised broadcasters and even Ofcom for not having church services on Sunday morning anymore. I know as a traditionalist that I prefer to watch the Midnight Mass in the comfort of my own home rather than roam the local streets at midnight on Christmas Eve. On the other hand, as Great Britain has followers of many religions, it could be one way of being impartial and treating everyone equally.

In around 1988 there was something in a TV Times article about Morning Worship doing a service from a mosque although as Friday is the Islamic sabbath, one would not get the same perspective as a Christian service would be on a Sunday. I went to school with lots of kids who were Muslims - I am certain that it would help educate viewers about the different religions that people follow.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Religious programmes have often been amongst the least popular with the public and a high proportion of them have left much to be desired. Another criticism is the heavy bias of religious programmes towards (mostly Anglican) Christianity. The smaller ITV companies (like Tyne Tees, Westward / TSW, or Border) were tasked with producing a high proportion of religious programmes for ITV as a result of the big ITV companies (like Thames, Central, or Granada) preferring to avoid producing unprofitable minor programmes whenever they could. This was a questionable practice because of the very small number of people who follow non-Christian religions and few non-Christian places of worship within the regions of the smaller ITV companies. However, (almost entirely Christian focused) religious programmes provided a rare chance for smaller ITV companies to produce a networked programme.

It could be argued that the only realistic way to increase the variety of religious programmes and the diversity of religions represented in them would be for ITV companies to outsource production to independent producers rather than trying to produce religious programmes themselves.

The 1990 Broadcasting Act required ITV companies to source a minimum of 25% of programmes from independent producers after 1st January 1993. One would have expected at the time that the production of religious programmes would be amongst the first to be outsourced to independents – by the big ITV companies at least – as a means of improving the quality and diversity of the programmes as well as relieving ITV companies from having to produce them in house.

By a strange twist of irony, the 1990 Broadcasting Act also signalled the beginning of the end of religious programming remits for ITV after 1st January 1993.

I assume that because of the senior roles of the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, Anglicanism will always seem as the default denomination of Christianity, and will be for at least a few more decades, rather than the Methodist, Baptist, or even Catholic churches - the Archbishop if Canterbury will always be seen as being more senior than the Archbishop of Westminster.

I am someone who describes themselves as Christian - full stop. In other words, I am impartial from a religious perspective - I would go to a Methodist church, or a Baptist church or even a Mormon church. One Christmas morning circa 2007 I went to a Catholic service that started at 8.00 am, and then an hour and a half later I walked down the road and joined the congregation at the Anglican church in the same area - I always think that church is a church no matter what their angle or religion happens to be - if they celebrate Christmas then that's fine by me. In 2011 I treated myself to a visit to Southwell Minster to see the then Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham, later Bishop of Durham, Dr Paul Butler and join the service there, meaning that I was late back home for Christmas dinner.

I would say that I was more religious than my late parents were, but that was mostly because I like to uphold traditions, and I like to make sure that Christmas is all about Christianity rather than the DFS sale starting on Boxing Day, or buying presents from Argos. My parents only attended churches for weddings, funerals and when my nephew was blessed at a Baptist church - it was a way of being introduced to that church and I went there for several weeks afterwards.

But let's look at Easter - Catholicism gets more prominence due to the Pope's blessing as BBC 1 shows Urbi Et Orbi, although I believe that the Christmas and New Year blessings are also seen on TV in more Catholic countries such as the Irish Republic, France and Italy. Is Easter more of a Catholic thing while Christmas is focuses on more by Anglicans? It seems like that to me.

As for the "dumbing down" of religious broadcasts on ITV, it just shows how far we have been - back on Christmas Day in 1980, Thames had the Christmas morning service where viewers were treated to Dr Robert Runcie himself at Canterbury Cathedral.I cannot imagine Justin Welby popping up at 10.00 am on Christmas Day ITV in the 2010s apart from appearing in the early evening news bulletins along with the Queen and the Pope.
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

I'm strongly in favour of televising major events like Christmas, Easter, Remembrance Sunday services etc. but I struggle to understand what the rationale and logic was for producing 52 episodes of Morning Worship every year other than enabling small ITV companies to produce something for the network.

The 25% of programmes from independent producers policy enacted after 1st January 1993 could have ushered in a new era for religious programmes on ITV. More interesting, more relevant to viewers, more diverse in terms of the religions represented, even more respected.

There is a theory that Thames lost to Carlton because it failed to offer sufficient local programmes for the diverse population of the region it served, as it centred its interests on the production of mass popular entertainment for the network at prime time. Given the diversity of London then programmes to reflect and cater for local cultural and religious interests could only have come from independent producers rather than a huge monolithic programme factory like Thames, and Carlton was a publisher broadcaster outsourcing most of its production to independents. With hindsight it never worked out, probably because of the end of religious programming remits for ITV after 1st January 1993, and how Carlton preferred to procure mass popular entertainment from Thames living on as an independent producer rather than local interest programmes from local independent producers.