Wylex and Dorman Smith mains plugs and sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wylex and Dorman Smith mains plugs and sockets

In the late 1940s when ring mains became the new standard for wiring domestic and commercial building there were three competing plug and socket systems.

1. The rectangular pin system by MK that became the standard used today.

2. The Wylex system which consisted of a round earth pin in the centre then two flat pins to its right and left for live and neutral. The flat pins were slightly offset to prevent a plug from being inserted upsidedown. Wylex plugs are circular in shape.

3. The Dorman Smith system which consisted of a plug with three round pins. The earth pin was at the top and the live and neutral pins were at the bottom to the right and the left. The live pin was a fuse which screwed into the plug body. Dorman Smith plugs are roughly triangular in shape.

Did anybody have Wylex or Dorman Smith sockets at home or in buildings that they used?

Re: Wylex and Dorman Smith mains plugs and sockets

My Dad remembers one of my Aunts having some non-standard sockets in her house, which she eventually had replaced because it was hard to get plugs for them.

This was one reason electrical items didn't come with a plug, & shops would have a supply, though my Dad used to take them off old items & recycle them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The Dorman Smith sockets were once very common in council housing. It was allegedly the result of a cunning marketing strategy where the sockets were sold for pennies to councils but the plugs were sold to the public at more than twice the price of rectangular pin plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        The Dorman Smith sockets were once very common in council housing. It was allegedly the result of a cunning marketing strategy where the sockets were sold for pennies to councils but the plugs were sold to the public at more than twice the price of rectangular pin plugs.
        I'd heard that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

1. The rectangular pin system by MK that became the standard used today.
          Never heard of Wylex but I did my apprenticeship at MK.

Comment

This page has some good information on electrical plugs:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/AC_power_..._related_types

Comment

Working...
            X