Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comics

Following on from my other post I was thinking of how I got into comics. I started with the usual Beano Topper Dandy etc before venturing into "older" comics such as the Victor, Hotspur et all.( and ok used to nick my sisters Bunty & Judy) However my greatest influence was my next door neighbour. He was disabled and spent most of his time reading. I used to collect each week a bag of books and comics from his mom( who seemed about 80 to a 10 year old!) As well as the usual pulp cowboy and space books she always had all the lastest DC and Marvel comics of the day, which in the 60's was a rarity. I often wonder how much these comics would fetch now if I had the foresight to keep them and not trade them for other comics and stuff?
    The eyes have it!
    sigpic

Re: Comics

Well we all think like that don't we, I've started collecting some of the old annuals off E-Bay, I have loads anyhow, they're kool to re-read nowadays too.

Comment

Yep some cracking stories if a little non-pc these days (Krauts and Nips!!) and the obligatory cut away drawing of a spitfire, battle ship etc
      The eyes have it!
      sigpic

Comment

Yep, those were the days of Warlord, Battle and the Victor, chocks way chaps.....

Comment

When my parents would go to town they'd bring me the Dandy or Beano. Cousins of ours arrived during the summer, Bank Hols, etc. with a shedload of Whizzer&Chips's Busters etc. Never having been a war fan, I didn't get into the Hotspur, Victor, etc. but loved Roy of the Rovers. Joined Fireball's fan club in Bullet purely for the wallet and pendant that I thought would impress the girls.
          Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Did it impress the girls then? I used to like the summer specials too.

Comment

There was always glorious sunshine and every beach was a dog-muck-, used-condom-free, lively resort in the summer specials. The reality was a bit different.
              Re your question, Og : course not.

Comment

Well you gotta try anything, I always found chatting up the girlies hard, and difficult work ...... another thread maybe 'Chat up lines' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
                  Well you gotta try anything, I always found chatting up the girlies hard, and difficult work ...... another thread maybe 'Chat up lines' ?
                  Can do, Og ! Lads, did any of ye ever read your sister's Jackie/Photo-Love to see how the fairer sex saw things ?

Comment

Yes maybe, erm sneaked a peek when she out..........though we had the relaunched Eagle with foto stories, some cop story and Doomlord.

PS the chatup thread may not be good idea thouh, if we reveal our secrets........

Comment

My favourites were Whizzer and Chips and Funny Monthly

Comment

Funny monthly, was that compilation comic?

Comment

I think it used to be called Funny Fortnightly, and was very similar to Whizzer and Chips.

Comment

Ok, sounds like a compilation to me, best bits of other comics such as Whizzer and Chips, Cor and the like.

Comment

Yeah, it could have been - great fun! I feel like having a search on eBay for one now LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X