Football Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Magazines

Who else can recall 90 Minutes, Shoot and Match and them being an extremely good magazine!?

In the 1980s, 1990s all these 3 was so good I got all 3 though my 'pocket money" only extended to 2 after other things - I always got my Mum to buy me a 3rd one! What about other members - can you recall such magazines being the 'height of popularity"?

80sChav

Re: Football Magazines

FIRST ONES I THOUGHT OF WHERE SHOOT AND MATCH.

THINK THEY WHERE ALL HARDBACK. WELL SHOOT WAS.

WONDERFUL ALL 3 WHERE.

CANT REMEMBER WHERE ALL 3 MONTHLY OR PERHAPS ONE OF THEM WAS WEEKLY.

BUT I SURE CAN REMEMBER THEM NO PROBLEM.

IM SURE MY OLDER BROTHER GOT THEM BACK IN THE EIGHTIES.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Who else can recall 90 Minutes, Shoot and Match and them being an extremely good magazine!?

In the 1980s, 1990s all these 3 was so good I got all 3 though my 'pocket money" only extended to 2 after other things - I always got my Mum to buy me a 3rd one! What about other members - can you recall such magazines being the 'height of popularity"?

80sChav
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

shoot was glossy but before that was GOAL magazine in proper newspaper type paper - great pics of football players in plain kits and brylcreem. It later became part of shoot. And was there a little booklet type mag. league review?

Comment

Another footie magazine i remember was charles buchan's football monthly. He was a footballer who became a football journalist and also a BBC commentator.

In 1947, he co-founded the Football Writers' Association, and from September 1951 until his death in 1960, he edited his own football magazine, Charles Buchan's Football Monthly which was published until 1974,.Copies of the magazine can be purchased on Ebay.

Regards

Gam

Comment

Originally posted by gamerouche View Post
          Another footie magazine i remember was charles buchan's football monthly. He was a footballer who became a football journalist and also a BBC commentator.

In 1947, he co-founded the Football Writers' Association, and from September 1951 until his death in 1960, he edited his own football magazine, Charles Buchan's Football Monthly which was published until 1974,.Copies of the magazine can be purchased on Ebay.

Regards

Gam
          Indeed Gam - Charlie Buchan was a legend in the Sports Writing Field without question. Charlie sure was a Pioneer I think in being one of the first ex-pros to try his hand at writing - which was of course virtually un-known/un-heard of in the 1950s to 1960s as magazines and books still had not become that popular then.

80sChav

Comment

HERES ONE FROM 1965 OF CHARLIE BUCHAN'S MONTHLY.

I MUST SAY ID NOT HEARD OF HIM OR OF THIS MAGAZINE UNTIL I READ ABOUT HIM.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              HERES ONE FROM 1965 OF CHARLIE BUCHAN'S MONTHLY.

I MUST SAY ID NOT HEARD OF HIM OR OF THIS MAGAZINE UNTIL I READ ABOUT HIM.
              Same here I hadn't heard of hem either, but it's something very interesting to know.

I remember Fantasy Football League occasionally mentioned players writing autobiographies in the 1970s with some interesting results.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

WORLD SOCCER 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  WORLD SOCCER 1988.

This is awesome Darren as is the Charlie Buchan one you posted above. Ones like the World soccer would be sold like Goldust - especially in a Shop I know in Manchester City Centre (which is an Aladin's Cave of forty and Music and other cultural memorabilia) If I had a Million Pounds I could buy every Footy Mag going in their and not be happy!

Talking of other Footy Magazines - though I am not a Man U fan (in the late 90s I collected loads and loads - nearly every edition of Glory, Glory Man Utd) like an un-official Magazine. I chucked every single one par 2 away and have never ever seen any anywhere since (which is a massive, massive regret on my part) ... more so as at the time at 2 pounds it made them so cheap to buy from near-o any Corner Shop un-like WH Smiths/John Menzies! Gutted isn't the word here for me - more so too as I've never noted them on Ebay etc neither!

80sChav

Comment

I remember the now gone Sports Pages in At Anne's Square in Manchester used to stock fanzines, such as Brighton & Hove Albion's "And Smith Must Score...."
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Apparently this world soccer one is actually the very first issue well it said it was where i got the link from.

IM FINDING MORE AND MORE NEW FOOTIE MAGS SUCH AS THAT CHARLIE BUCHAN ONE.

MUST BE MORE THAN I THINK.

GLAD U LIKE EM.

Originally posted by 80schav View Post
                      this is awesome darren as is the charlie buchan one you posted above. Ones like the world soccer would be sold like goldust - especially in a shop i know in manchester city centre (which is an aladin's cave of forty and music and other cultural memorabilia) if i had a million pounds i could buy every footy mag going in their and not be happy!

Talking of other footy magazines - though i am not a man u fan (in the late 90s i collected loads and loads - nearly every edition of glory, glory man utd) like an un-official magazine. I chucked every single one par 2 away and have never ever seen any anywhere since (which is a massive, massive regret on my part) ... More so as at the time at 2 pounds it made them so cheap to buy from near-o any corner shop un-like wh smiths/john menzies! Gutted isn't the word here for me - more so too as i've never noted them on ebay etc neither!

80schav
                      Last edited by darren; 16-01-2016, 22:49.

Comment

ANOTHER MAG ID NOT KNOWN OF.

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

can't beat GOAL.(real newspaper type paper)...unless it was 'Football Review' ??? small like a prog. with team squads in it.....?

Comment

I wonder how much costs the magazine like this

Comment

Working...
                              X