No announcement yet.

Best Computer Game Of All Time And Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Computer Game Of All Time And Why?

No probs mate.

i do remember there was a cheat or code you could enter on the white screen when you started loading it it was for infinite lives thing is if you get caught in a corner you keep dying.

But you dont die but you cant escape so you just have to start the game over.

Remember my bro actually doing it.

Originally posted by big kid View Post
    thanks for sharing darren. Great memories. Can't believe its been about thirty three years since it was released.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I honestly believe that Tetris is the greatest game ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
        From the classic era, it's probably Elite (Spectrum 128k and then PC version). Lost more days to that then any other game.
        In recent years, it has to be Microsoft Flight Simulator (FSX). I'm currently doing the Around The World in 80 Flights challenge - just left Gibraltar.
        If you're an Elite fan and have an Android device, check out 'Alite'
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.games.alite
        It's an Android port of the Amiga version written as a labour of love by a mate of mine taking nearly 3yrs of his spare time, and shared for free.

My own favourite games from the past...
        I loved 'Scramble' and 'Super Cobra' from the 80s arcades era.

From the spectrum era - 3d stock car championship. This had incredible physics and feel for a 48k game.

I loved 'Super Mario World' on the SNES, and quite a few other titles on there like, StarFox, Flashback 2, Axelay...

There was an earlier 3d solid filled 3d scenery spectrum game, earlier than Driller and Castle Master. Anyone remember 'the Sentinel'? Came out in 86.

I still play a lot of old systems and many old games through Emulators on Android devices.

I'm also a flight sim fan too but being on a budget due to family, now use mobile devices. My favourite mobile sim is Aerofly FS2 which is awesome in it's detail and physics. PC quality on the move.
        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erofly2android

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Barbour View Post
          I
          There was an earlier 3d solid filled 3d scenery spectrum game, earlier than Driller and Castle Master. Anyone remember 'the Sentinel'? Came out in 86.

One of my favourite games, well the C64 version anyway.

I still have the 1998 PlayStation version called "Sentinel Returns", awesome game. I believe it also came out on PC and was basically the same game with updated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
            One of my favourite games, well the C64 version anyway.

I still have the 1998 PlayStation version called "Sentinel Returns", awesome game. I believe it also came out on PC and was basically the same game with updated graphics.
            Was that the first shaded 3d graphics game with full look around, or were there earlier ones?

Comment

Its so simple that anyone can play it which makes it pretty awesome.

Originally posted by demoneyex View Post
              i honestly believe that tetris is the greatest game ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Cant say ive ever heard of it myself.

What type of game is it.
                It was made by Odin Computer Graphics Ltd and at the time was likened to Underwurlde by Ultimate, while there are some similarities for me Nodes is a far more polished and entertaining product, and I still haven't completed it even after 31 years.

Comment

AH YES ULTIMATE THEY DID A LOT OF VERY GOOD GAMES.
                  SHOWS HOW TOUGH IT IS IF YOU STILL HAVE NOT WON IT.

ANOTHER GREAT GAME IS THIS ONE DK64.

SO MUCH TO DO IN IT.
                  https://youtu.be/npuuTBlEb1U

Originally posted by spuggybridge View Post
                  It was made by Odin Computer Graphics Ltd and at the time was likened to Underwurlde by Ultimate, while there are some similarities for me Nodes is a far more polished and entertaining product, and I still haven't completed it even after 31 years.

Comment

I do have DK64 but I always preferred Banjo Kazooie not much to pick between them though.

Comment

i've played so many games over the years, impossible to pick 1 fave, so here's my top 5 retro games (all from the Megadrive).

Shining Force 2 - awesome strategy RPG with interesting characters

Rings of Power - great RPG from Naughty Dog, the makers of Uncharted, seriously underappreciated cos people think it's clunky and too hard and won't give it the time of day, but they're missing out on a true gem.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
                      - great RPG with a sci-fi twist, instead of swords and axes etc you have laser guns and the like, also includes some space battles and exploration later on in the game.

Kid Chameleon
                      - still my fave platform game of all time, even more so than the awesome Super Mario World.

Streets of Rage 2
                      - sunk so many hours into this classic, improves upon the first game in every way and is still even better than Streets of Rage 3, probably because the levels are better and the sound effects are way better, especially the ever so satisfying *crack* when you hit an enemy. i'm a bonafide master at the game and have even finished it on hardest without losing a single life, albeit using savestates but that still takes some skill.

Comment

Never played any of them.
                        Only heard of streets of rage 2.

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                        i've played so many games over the years, impossible to pick 1 fave, so here's my top 5 retro games (all from the megadrive).

shining force 2 - awesome strategy rpg with interesting characters

rings of power - great rpg from naughty dog, the makers of uncharted, seriously underappreciated cos people think it's clunky and too hard and won't give it the time of day, but they're missing out on a true gem.

buck rogers: Countdown to doomsday
                        - great rpg with a sci-fi twist, instead of swords and axes etc you have laser guns and the like, also includes some space battles and exploration later on in the game.

kid chameleon
                        - still my fave platform game of all time, even more so than the awesome super mario world.

streets of rage 2
                        - sunk so many hours into this classic, improves upon the first game in every way and is still even better than streets of rage 3, probably because the levels are better and the sound effects are way better, especially the ever so satisfying *crack* when you hit an enemy. I'm a bonafide master at the game and have even finished it on hardest without losing a single life, albeit using savestates but that still takes some skill.

Comment

Ive been playing zelda over last few days links awakening carnt beat the retro games played this so many times and still got stuck to what to do
                          THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Is it good.
                            Ive never played it ive only played the ones for the consoles not played any of the ones on handheldgames machines.

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                            ive been playing zelda over last few days links awakening carnt beat the retro games played this so many times and still got stuck to what to do

Comment

U must get it I play it on my phone play store has all the emulators its worth a go daz as ur a retro gamer u love it
                              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Early years- Pac Man probably, it was more addictive and tense than the other classics for me

Early 80s. Jet Pac for the Spectrum. I grew up in the UK so I don't know if this game is known outside the UK. The company that made it made so many great games, but this was probably the best. The ZX spectrum was a part of most schoolboys growing up in the early 80s. Of course I said I wanted to get it for homework.

Mid- late 80s.The Atari ST and Amiga ruled. Dungeon Master. Bard's Tale. Elite. Elite was good for the time but had some serious imbalances. Getting military lasers made combat boring as you just ran away and hot enemies with your rear gun. And asteroid mining was tedious work for a very meagre return.

Early 90s Midwinter. An obscure(ish) classic! A hybrid first person/ strategy game where you're on a snowy island and have to destroy the headquarters on an invading force located in the south. ou can ski, take snow vehicles, cable cars and hangliders to get from place to place. You can recruit others too. I found this fascinating t the time, I'm not sure if it would cut it today. Carrier Command. I understand that Ultima Underworld, Doom, Quake and System Shock were innovative back them, but I've never played them. Yet.

Mid to late 90s. Ahhh, the golden age of videogaming surely? It seemed every month brought new and innovative games to the market (amongs all the usual dross of course!) Half Life, System Shock 2, Rainbow Six, Quake 2, Tomb Raider series (as well as some Tomb Raidery games like Drakan). SIm City 3000, Caesar 2 and it's succesors. And simulations were starting to get realistic physics adn great graphics. But my personal all time favorite game Thief:The dark Project. I preferred this to the sequel Thief 2. It's just a fascinating world to immerse yourself in. I've been a fan for 16 years now.

I stopped playing video games almost entirely after 2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X