No announcement yet.

Best Computer Game Of All Time And Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Computer Game Of All Time And Why?

C'mon then people what is your favourite classic of all time and for what reason??

Re: Best Computer Game Of All Time And Why?

even though i'm not that good at it, it's space invaders. the reason for that is because it reminds me of my childhood and how good things were back then.

Comment

From the classic era, it's probably Elite (Spectrum 128k and then PC version). Lost more days to that then any other game.
      In recent years, it has to be Microsoft Flight Simulator (FSX). I'm currently doing the Around The World in 80 Flights challenge - just left Gibraltar.

Comment

Link to the past for the snes as well as the amazing super metroid.

Oothers are dk64 for the n64 and ocarina of time.

The soundtracks for these games are just fantasatic as well as the story of the games.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Mario 3. There's just something magical about the game. (The SNES version lacks the charm of the original). The depth of the game is fantastic and no other Mario game can match it for sheer variety of power ups and suits. Mario World might look nicer but it was much emptier and boring than Mario 3.

Comment

Yep ...Space Invaders......was such a classic

Comment

I cant really choose one its far too tough to choose one game.

But most of them come from the snes.

Mario 3 had slight differences when it came out on the snes compared to how it looked on the nes.

Two others i just love are mario world and yoshi's island u could change into different things like a helicopter etc.

Mario world was amazing secret exits ghost houses cool music unusual pwer ups like the cape.
              Just a very unusual mario game.

But for me my top 2 probably are super metroid and zelda link to the past.

Just playing them gets me all goosebumpy.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Was Driller the world's first proper 3D game?

It was produced by Incentive, a small British company from Aldermaston in Berkshire, during 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                  Was Driller the world's first proper 3D game?

It was produced by Incentive, a small British company from Aldermaston in Berkshire, during 1987.
                  I recall a Spectrum game from before that which came with 2 pairs of those red/green 3D specs. It was a 3D vector graphics game bit like a poor version of Elite. The 3D worked quite well - if you were seated very close to the screen in a darkened room, but it ran very slowly and, after the initial wow factor of seeing a genuine 3D image, the game was virtually unplayable.

Comment

I can vaguely recall a game like this but it wasn't a proper 3D game you can walk around in.

What I have noticed is that anything written about computer games by Americans completely ignores Driller and its sequels Dark Side, Total Eclipse, and Castle Master that use the Freescape game engine. It's not clear from stuff written by Americans what the first proper 3D game is but it certainly wasn't Wolfenstein because you can't look up or down like with the Freescape games.

Comment

Paradroid on C64.

Although the Amiga version Paradroid90 was also awesome.

Comment

pssst on speccy just loved this game
                        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

lets not forget BoulderDash

Comment

Dungeon Master on the PC/Amiga. Not usually my genre (more into sports or racing sims), but back in the early 1990's it seemed like a massive game, very atmospheric and challenging; even though I never completed it. I lost many an afternoon/evening, when I was supposed to be doing homework, battling blue trolls, screamers and other creatures of that ilk, only to die from lack of water or falling into a pit in a darkened room!

Comment

Easy .... Jet Set Willy....... rubbish graphics, terrible glitches, the most annoying music in a game ever (except maybe Tetris) but completely and utterly addictive and brilliant
                              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Working...
                              X