Prefects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prefects

Our prefects used to give us lines at break times if we were naughty. We would have to sit in the prefects lounge with them to write them. I was naughty on purpose just to get the lines so I could sit in their lounge writing them listening to their music until they realised what I was doing lol
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

One school I was in used to have prefects until they transferred to high school. They kept an eye on us in the playground as well as the staff, so they didn't play chase or football like the others.

Comment

Im not shocked you did that at all.

surprised they had the authority to give out lines.

Originally posted by twocky61 View Post
        our prefects used to give us lines at break times if we were naughty. We would have to sit in the prefects lounge with them to write them. I was naughty on purpose just to get the lines so i could sit in their lounge writing them listening to their music until they realised what i was doing lol
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Near enough all Year 11's (final year pupils) were prefects at our school - I don't think there was any way of opting out. Only those with an appalling disciplinary record did not become a prefect.

I think, given there must have been between 225 and 250 of us, and we only had one "duty" a week (mine being picking up a bundle of internal mail for teachers and putting it into pigeon holes beside the staff room), that the school / staff / governors must have thought it would look "impressive" on a C.V. and / or UCAS form to put on that a pupil had been a "prefect", and thus reflect well - our school was heavily motivated by league tables and results. Every year, there would be a big page in the local paper reporting exam results, usually accompanied by pictures from my school with pupils who were destined for "Oxbridge", with senior staff simpering in the background.

I remember when being in "lower school", some of the prefects were absolute morons - those of the lowest intelligence were put on the doors of each "wing" of the school to empty the building before break or lunch, and then prevent entry until the bell rang for the next period - they took great pleasure in denying younger pupils access to the toilets etc. with monotonous regularity.
          Last edited by Big Tim; 05-01-2017, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
            Near enough all Year 11's (final year pupils) were prefects at our school - I don't think there was any way of opting out. Only those with an appalling disciplinary record did not become a prefect.

I think, given there must have been between 225 and 250 of us, and we only had one "duty" a week (mine being picking up a bundle of internal mail for teachers and putting it into pigeon holes beside the staff room), that the school / staff / governors must have thought it would look "impressive" on a C.V. and / or UCAS form to put on that a pupil had been a "prefect", and thus reflect well - our school was heavily motivated by league tables and results. Every year, there would be a big page in the local paper reporting exam results, usually accompanied by pictures from my school with pupils who were destined for "Oxbridge", with senior staff simpering in the background.

I remember when being in "lower school", some of the prefects were absolute morons - those of the lowest intelligence were put on the doors of each "wing" of the school to empty the building before break or lunch, and then prevent entry until the bell rang for the next period - they took great pleasure in denying younger pupils access to the toilets etc. with monotonous regularity.
            This sounds very very similar to my School on reflection Big Tim - as I guess it would re; at a lot of people's Schools.

Did you get my last PM btw?! I hope your in a position to reply to it!?

80sChav

Comment

At my secondary school, a "bog standard" comprehensive, anyone staying on in the 6th form automatically became a prefect. The blazer colour at the school was black and prefects were visually distinguished by having gold piping sown around the edge, and I think they also wore a lapel badge, again gold if memory serves. I really didn't want to be a prefect and it was a major influence on my decision to leave at 16 and enter the world of work/day-release college, rather than the 6th form. My abiding memory of prefects at my school is them preventing pupils from entering the school buildings during break times.

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                I was a Prefect for 1 whole week, that was year 3? I think I was 8 years old, main duty was to close the door once everyone was in, but I do remember telling a boy to stop bullying
                a younger boy, he asked me "why? an what was I going to do about it?" I told him I was a prefect and I would report him to the headmistress! He didn't believe I was a prefect
                so I flashed my badge.... he started to cry LOL

Maybe Twocky is onto something tho, I did like the Power LOL
                This seemns highly true here, Culnara

I bet most went onto work in Courts or Security Gaurds in Shops and Courts

Though i never really got the chance 9or to be a Milk Monitor neither) i am glad thaty I was'nt selected, but hmm a lot isabout Power I think and "being like a Cop, that'd do someone for being 1cm over a double yellow"!!

Comment

There was the head girl Karen

I'll leave the rest to your imagination lol
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I have to confess I rather enjoyed being a prefect, but this was because it was a strict all-boys private school and there were no serious discipline problems. Quite a lot of it was theatre: I developed a booming voice to induce obedience. There was despite the strictness an element of tongue-in-cheek and even fun.

We had House Prefects dream from lower and upper sixth and School Prefects (upper sixth only). For my sins I was both. Because we were boarders, being a House prefect meant being in charge of a corridor, where younger boys either shared rooms (aged 13-15) or had single rooms from O Level year onwards. This involved making sure they put their lights out at the right time (which varied according to age), didn’t skive games or other afternoon activities, etc. I also had to go round checking them during prep - that they were in their rooms at their desks working.

I’m afraid I used my farts as a weapon against these unfortunate boys. I made a point of eating green vegetables and baked beans at supper (options readily available at boarding school) and release the associated sounds and smells when carrying out the prep check!

There was a Common Room in the House for Prefects where we could read newspapers, drink coffee or cocoa, listen to the radio or watch television.

Comment

I meant of course 'House Prefects drawn [not 'dream'] from lower and upper Sixth.

Comment

In the Prefects’ Common Room I also remember eating Pot Noodles: my favourite was Spicy Curry.

Comment

A few more thoughts about being a Prefect in charge of a corridor at boarding school. First there was the discipline side: making sure that the boys did their work and sport, went to bed on time and generally kept out of scrapes. Then there was the fun side: stinking up their rooms with my farts! Third there was a more important and serious side. I learned to be a ‘shoulder to cry on’ for boys whose parents were getting divorced (for instance) or were homesick or struggling to make friends. Being able to help them was a deeply rewarding and valuable part of being a Prefect.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
                            I have to confess I rather enjoyed being a prefect, but this was because it was a strict all-boys private school and there were no serious discipline problems. Quite a lot of it was theatre: I developed a booming voice to induce obedience. There was despite the strictness an element of tongue-in-cheek and even fun.

We had House Prefects dream from lower and upper sixth and School Prefects (upper sixth only). For my sins I was both. Because we were boarders, being a House prefect meant being in charge of a corridor, where younger boys either shared rooms (aged 13-15) or had single rooms from O Level year onwards. This involved making sure they put their lights out at the right time (which varied according to age), didn’t skive games or other afternoon activities, etc. I also had to go round checking them during prep - that they were in their rooms at their desks working.

I’m afraid I used my farts as a weapon against these unfortunate boys. I made a point of eating green vegetables and baked beans at supper (options readily available at boarding school) and release the associated sounds and smells when carrying out the prep check!

There was a Common Room in the House for Prefects where we could read newspapers, drink coffee or cocoa, listen to the radio or watch television.
                            It sounds cool Silver - though i was never a Boarder ... regardless iot sounds cool

I considered applying/putting in to be one or may-be did but to no avail though

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                              It sounds cool Silver - though i was never a Boarder ... regardless iot sounds cool

I considered applying/putting in to be one or may-be did but to no avail though

80sChav
                              That’s a shame as I’m sure you’d have liked it.

Comment

Another important task of being in charge of a corridor was making sure the chaps were awake first thing in the morning and that they’d washed, brushed their teeth and dressed in time for the House roll call before breakfast. I’ve never been an early morning person but I had to get up, washed and dressed earlier than all of them, smile and crack jokes, etc. and generally look as if I was enjoying myself!

Comment

Working...
                                X