Prefects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefects

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Did your school have "Prefects"? And were you one?

My school had Prefects - all fifth year (Year 11) pupils, with the exception of those who had an appalling disciplinary record from previous years were recruited to be Prefects at my school. (A comprehensive in York). This was approximately 250 Prefects, at a guess.

Typically, Prefects had one "duty" each week, on a rota basis. My role was distributing internal/external staff mail (basically taking it from reception and filing it in the appropriate "Pigeon Hole" at the staff room). Those of us chosen for this role were supposed to see this as some kind of privilege, as it was considered the most responsible job to be undertaken by pupils; I found it all very tedious, and while I suppose there was a big element of trust, those of us doing this were really just unpaid admin staff!

Other prefects were given roles guarding the access doors to the school buildings at breaks/lunchtimes (basically, being power-hungry "bouncers" and stopping Year 7 and 8 kids going to the toilet etc ) or distributing and collecting attendance registers from forms. We were also expected to set an example to "Lower School" pupils, which extended to giving them a good "telling-off" for swearing, running in the corridors etc. Although we rarely did!

We received a small metal badge which all Prefects were supposed to wear every day on their school tie, not just when "on duty". Anyone who misbehaved would be stripped of their badge and duties, and this would be recorded on their school record, and presumably would put them out of favour when it came to having written references at the end of the School Year. The other perk we got for doing the menial roles the paid school staff didn't want to do (!) was that we were allowed use of the "Youth Centre" which was adjacent to the school each lunchtime, meaning we weren't stuck out in the school playground, and could play pool, buy sweets and listen to horrendous mid-90's dance (we're talking 1995/96 here).
    Last edited by Big Tim; 06-02-2016, 16:51.

Re: Prefects

I had a chance to be a prefect at our Comprehensive (I think there were about 12 in total) but, knowing how impossible it would be to tell the oiks to Just stop that!, I declined...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

My secondary school had prefects and to be fair they where very good prefects.

I never had the chance to be one.
      Id have been to quiet and shy to be one.
      Id have thought it to be quite a tough role.

In a way they do certain roles teachers do.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The prefects in my old school, were all sixth formers. In fact, they were doing their second year in the sixth form. Most were ok. In fact, there was one or two we used to wind up. There was one girl prefect who was very pretty. Many of us boys had a crush on her. I had a bit of an advantage, I used to deliver a Sunday paper to her home. Sad part now, I can't even remember her name.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Same for me Marc at my School - all the prefects was in the 6th Form. I recall having a bit of a crush on a 6th Form Prefect Girl in 1991 (in Year 9) and always admiring her permed Blonde Hair of the time. Thankfully though at my 2nd Secondary School we all got treat as equal's and I don't recall Prefects reigning that long (which is a mega surprise) given how much of a controlling guy the Head was - unless I am critically mis-remembering all the time there through a life of Roses!!

80sChav

Comment

The prefects weren't popular at my school, to say the least. They thought they had more 'clout' than the teachers and used to terrify and sometimes bully the first year 11 year olds, but when the teachers were hanging around they behaved like little Angels.

Comment

In my secondary school the prefects where dead on.
              Can only remember prefects as lads tho no girls.

I always thought to be a prefect you had to go thru some sort of test as its not just anyone who can be one.
              Like perhaps the teachers voted on who became one.

It seems from other replies prefects where not that nice.

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
              the prefects weren't popular at my school, to say the least. They thought they had more 'clout' than the teachers and used to terrify and sometimes bully the first year 11 year olds, but when the teachers were hanging around they behaved like little angels.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

some sort of test

Probably naked with birch twigs...
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The simple description of a Prefect (an I'm sure Teachers would confess too, if they got the chance) as was an Auntie of mine was a Teacher "back in the day" is that Prefects think they are perfect and Teachers choose them totally on this basis alone too!

80sChav

Comment

My secondary school didn't have prefects, I think they had been done away with a few years earlier.

I did hear a more recent head wanted to bring them back, but I don't know if they actually did.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzy View Post
                      The prefects weren't popular at my school, to say the least. They thought they had more 'clout' than the teachers and used to terrify and sometimes bully the first year 11 year olds, but when the teachers were hanging around they behaved like little Angels.
                      You've hit the nail "omn the Herad" here fuzzy - this was the same as at my school

In 6th Form (of course) there was loads of Prefects and for the short time I was in 6th Form, I knew a few was going for the job (and one a sort of so called mate at times, who was a bit Sally Webster esquire) was going for the job (and I was wearing Trainers that day and (in the most sarcastic low pitched voice - he complemented me on how nice they looked) but extremely quickly changed his way of talking to say "but I think you'll get done/told off for them" ... and if he'd became a Prefect he'd have been on people's cases like a Referee with a Whistle, but he also had his own mates (close 1s) who sure didn't abide by "School Law's" and easily fancied themselves and it'd be inevitable he'd look out for them first as would/does every Prefect I've met (or rather call them their true name "Teachers Pet")!!!

80sChav

Comment

I reckon most prefects went on to be traffic wardens lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I was a Prefect for 1 whole week, that was year 3? I think I was 8 years old, main duty was to close the door once everyone was in, but I do remember telling a boy to stop bullying
                          a younger boy, he asked me "why? an what was I going to do about it?" I told him I was a prefect and I would report him to the headmistress! He didn't believe I was a prefect
                          so I flashed my badge.... he started to cry LOL

Maybe Twocky is onto something tho, I did like the Power LOL
                          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I wasn't a prefect but I was a librarian. It was us kids who booked out books for fellow pupils & booked them back in
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                              I was a Prefect for 1 whole week, that was year 3? I think I was 8 years old, main duty was to close the door once everyone was in, but I do remember telling a boy to stop bullying
                              a younger boy, he asked me "why? an what was I going to do about it?" I told him I was a prefect and I would report him to the headmistress! He didn't believe I was a prefect
                              so I flashed my badge.... he started to cry LOL

Maybe Twocky is onto something tho, I did like the Power LOL
                              Class Twocky.......

At my Primary they'd never have dreamed of having them, but at my 1st Secondary if that'd happened that you describe at Primary it'd of been an even worse respond from the Prefects!!, nutmegging their Tie badly (or worse) lol

Comment

Working...
                              X