Scary fire adverts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary fire adverts!

Anyone remember these? There would be a spooky deep male voice saying "Fire kills. Think about it". I'm sure there was one with a caveman and cavewoman? And one brought out around Christmas that showed a tree/presents burning - scared me witless when I was little!!

Re: Scary fire adverts!

They're the kinda of adverts/things that can scare you erm witless as a kid, like the water advert.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-WERCiOQo
      Dont think you can get scarier than this, believed to be from 1981, however, it does get the message over to stop children playing with matches.

Comment

aaaaaaaaargh I've found it - people not born in Scotland may not have seen it *shudder*, that scream at the end....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIw_wmlK91M

Comment

The logo that went with the slogan 'fire kills, think about it' was scary enough. It was a person with their head on fire!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

The logo that went with the slogan "fire kills, think about it" was scary enough. It was a screaming person with their head on fire!
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I think we've mentioned fire PIFs elsewhere.

I remember one about playing matches where a boy manages to lock himself in a shed full of imflammable substances to mess about with matches, & when things started to catch light he couldn't get out.

The same one featured a girl doing a similar thing, & there was a slo-mo shot of a doll's face melting after a match was dropped on it.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was one where a guy was dashing around his house trying to stop fire risks, haunted by the most demonically spooky female voice gleefully encouraging dangerous situations to get out of control and consume the home in flames. I think the voice was meant to be of fire itself, but it sounded horribly evil, like something out of 'Dr.Who'. In the end, the guy wakes up in a cold sweat- it's all been a dream. He makes to light a cigarette to calm his nerves, but just before he strikes a match you here that voice again- "naughty nauuughtyyy!" it giggles. Whichever actress did that voiceover was brilliant at being sinister.

Fire can't be condemned as inherently evil, mind you- if it didn't exist none of us would be here, there'd be no Sun, for one thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  The logo that went with the slogan 'fire kills, think about it' was scary enough. It was a person with their head on fire!
                  Just bumping this because I've been looking for this 'flaming head' logo and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Can anybody else remember it? Would be great if somebody could dig it up. It definitely went with the "Fire kills, think about it" slogan as I remember seeing a poster with both on.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

This is the PIF that scared the **** outa me as a youngster:

Comment

I finally found the logo!

Attached Files
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

There was a 1986 Anglia TV ad break on YT that has that British Gas "Brian, I can smell gas" one - cue woman about to switch the light on, and Brian shouting "NO!" A mention of a British Gas advert appearing in national newspapers, giving us advice on how to prevent a gas leak and telling us to cut the advertisement out of the newspaper and keep it somewhere safe because it could save out lives.

In that same ad break, there was that "get out, get the fire brigade out, and stay out" one, which shows a man trying to put a fire started in an armchair in record time with a bucket of water from the kitchen. Scared me as well because it was just after the Rovers Return fire was seen on Coronation Street. Pure torture.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember the Christmas tree one. Used to scare me ****less!

Comment

Originally posted by iantjambo View Post
                            I remember the Christmas tree one. Used to scare me ****less!
                            How crazy is it that people used to have lighted candles in their Christmas trees to make them look joyous and festive !

Health and safety nightmare !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Before fairly lights came along people actually used to fit candles to their trees, my old girlfriend's Mum had some of the clip still, which were probably inherited from an older relative from Germany.

I remember Greater Manchester Fire Brigade had a mascot called Welephant (a red elephant in a fireman's uniform) who used to appear in some information films, normally shown around bonfire night at school, as well as on TV.

The slogan "Matches matches never touch, they can hurt you very much" was used on one of them.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X