Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One thing I dont miss

Having to order a new cheque-book
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Vosene! It really burned if you got it in your eyes!
      Also, bath nights during the winter.
      And that feeling you get on a sunday evening on the last day of the school holidays.

And yes, i know its 3 things lol

Comment

Heavy snowfalls

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Heavy snowfalls
          Yes, they seemed to be more regular!

Comment

Originally posted by jimexe View Post
            Vosene! It really burned if you got it in your eyes!
            Also, bath nights during the winter.
            And that feeling you get on a sunday evening on the last day of the school holidays.

And yes, i know its 3 things lol

I don't remember if we used Vosene, but I do remember bath nights in winter. Bathroom cold before you got into the bath, several degrees below absolute freezing when you got out of the bath.

The Sunday evening on the last day of the school holidays felt like the end of the world. Although it was nothing compared to being called by my mother on the Monday morning, more like Monday moaning.

That first day at comprehensive school. Brand new uniform, including shoes. Trousers irritated like mad. Shirt seemed to cling to me. Grey pullover was uncomfortable. Shoes all stiff. Choker, sorry tie, served no purpose other than to get on your nerves. Glad I will never have to live that day again.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

fog/smog in the mornings from coal fires...and the occasional chimney fire

Comment

Hand-me-down clothes. Being the youngest, most of the clothes I had previously belonged to either my sister, brother or cousins. The most embarassing hand-me-downs would probably have to be my brother's school blazers; I was the only girl with "fart flaps"!

Comment

I used to get a lot of my Brother's clothes, but my sister didn't get much from me.

Once she tried a school shirt but didn't like the fact that the buttons were the wrong way round!
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

[QUOTE=Richard1978;213222]I used to get a lot of my Brother's clothes...QUOTE]

My brother had a new pair of shoes, was playing in the school playground and fell over as the new shoes didn't have any grip.

He gave them to me...

Comment

Local shops that would work bank/office hours. They would rarely work more than 9 to 5. If you wanted a paper and a bar of chocolate for the trip to work you weren't getting them if you started work before 9am. My local newsagent even closed for 90 minutes between 1 and half 2 for lunch.

It took people from Asia to come here and show us how a shop should be run. When I entered the workforce in 1995 I could get my paper and Dairy Milk at 7am.

Comment

Half-day closing! Why! :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          Half-day closing! Why! :cry:
                          I think it was to allow shops to open on Saturday mornings & still pay staff the equivalent of 5 days wages.

Also it allowed them to shop in a neighbouring town on their afternoon off.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                            X