• Show
Clear All

Re: Blakes 7 from start to finish

Here's Mine
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
      I watched it all in January this year. The first two seasons are some of the greatest television ever. The third season had quite a lot of good, but wasn't up to the same standard. The final season was mostly bad.

The special effects were mostly good, except for the flying through space effect which was awful.

The Liberator is the second greatest spaceship ever, only narrowly behind the original Enterprise.
      Whilst I did like The Liberator, if we're talking about a fictional spaceship I'd like to travel on, then I'd probably plump for The Enterprise D from TNG. The social club area of 10 Forward and, of course, the holodeck had enormous appeal. Also remember with fondness the Valley Forge from Silent Running and even the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space had a certain twee 1960's Americal cosiness to it. Think I'd skip the Nodtromo though - too much strobe lighting, dangling chains, dripping water and unwelcome guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
        "Paul Darrow reckons they've already done a remake in the film/series Firefly"

And he's absolutely right. Firefly also featured 7 renegade characters on the losing side in a war, some of the plots were almost identical and several snippets of dialogue were lifted directly from Blakes 7. Shame that Joss Whedon didn't have the integrity to acknowledge the very heavy influence B7 was on Firefly.
        I guess it's not for me to argue with Paul Darrow, but I have watched Firefly now. It appears it was just cut off mid-run (episode 11?) even though it was relatively popular.

I haven't come across too many similarities with the old B7 series. B7 was always (IMHO) more than a collection of misfits aboard a vessel. Indeed two of the characters were actually AI's. The background to the series was clearer as well. I had to go into Wikipedia to really understand it. I also didn't realise this series was done 13 years ago.

I'm going to elaborate slightly on my comments regarding a remake. Certainly the original series should stand as a classic in Beeb ScFi, alongside Dr Who and Timeslip but any remake should pick up AFTER the end. Maybe years later, as so many fan fictions have done. I think there is a story there. Shame Terry Nation isn't still around to write/produce it.

Comment

What's happened to the [Edit post] option? Wanted to correct the typos in my last post but the edit function seems to have gone AWOL.

Comment

Yes it would seem so. The site seems to keep chucking me out as well. Must have been something I said.

Comment

Has anybody listened to the Big Finish CD's of Blake's 7 (not the Liberator Chronicles but the Classic Audio Adventures)? The first season (of which there are 6 stories) continues right after the cliffhanger of Star One. The scripts are just as good as the episodes for Season 2 that were seen on TV and it was nice to have the old gang back together again. I'm sure there would have been more adventures featuring Gareth Thomas as Blake but he unfortunately passed away last year. It wasn't the end of Blake's 7 though as they've simply moved on to create new adventures set during Season 3. Stephen Pacey joined the cast once more but Josette Simon declined to return as Dayna and her role has now been recast by Yasmin Bannerman. It's well worth giving these audio adventures a go. I've been well impressed with them so far.

Comment

Yes there are quite few plays/CDs/books out there - see Amazon. They have a HUGE selection, including those awful ones with new people playing the old characters. Those Liberator Chronicles are excellent.

Avoid the appaling 'Sevenfold Crown CD from 1998 it was written by someone with no knowledge of the characters/story.

Just to be a pompous ****, the previous thread that says Vila got the girl in the end on the episode City at the Edge of the World is only partially right. He actually left the girl (played by the actress from Please Sir ?) in the end and went off with the B7 crew. After he made the decision he declared that he'd made a HUGE mistake, and so it was to prove in the end.

Comment

Great series that had me enthralled as a kid. Very similar production values to Dr Who. at the time. Much more grown up in themes and tone than Dr. Who. though. Saw some of it on YouTube a couple of years ago and although entertaining it suffers from lots of plot padding and running down corridors in power stations. Still better than most modern sci-fi series which have sophisticated visuals but childish plots. (...waits for torrent of abuse...)

Comment

A series i didnt know of until a few yrs ago.
                    Ive never saw any of it.

I see terry nation created it.

Originally posted by sg gibson View Post
                    great series that had me enthralled as a kid. Very similar production values to dr who. At the time. Much more grown up in themes and tone than dr. Who. Though. Saw some of it on youtube a couple of years ago and although entertaining it suffers from lots of plot padding and running down corridors in power stations. Still better than most modern sci-fi series which have sophisticated visuals but childish plots. (...waits for torrent of abuse...)
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                    X