Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Someone may have mentioned this before, but no Disney Time anymore. It was a staple of Bank Holidays. I guess availability of Disney films on video rendered it irrelevant.

Agree on Robinson Crusoe. What a great series and the music was wonderfully haunting. Always seemed to be on in various school holidays.

Comment

Watching the F.A. Cup final on BBC1 and hoping it wouldn't go into extra time, because if it did Dr Who might be postponed.

Comment

Enjoyed a cartoon when they had time to fill for whatever reason,even the caption "sorry for the breakdown, normal service will be etc" has sunk into nostalgia,and the continuity announcer saying goodnight and dont forget to switch off your set and unplug it before you go to bed following the national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

Colour Production - still being used on new programmes in the mid 1980s.
          It was something that seemed more than obvious to the average viewer, unless they still were using monochrome TV sets of course. I know that the BBC stopped using BBC COLOUR around the end of 1977 - the first four or five episodes of the first series of Grange Hill had COLOUR on them but they must have stopped using it from the start of 1978. (I always think of "Sound Recordist GRAHAM BEDWELL" when I think of early GH series credits...)

Looking at ITV companies, Thames was the last one to stop using COLOUR PRODUCTION in 1989 mostly because they had been still using the same ident since colour TV started in London, more or less. On the other hand, there was an HTV (West) network programme from as early as 1977 on YT which didn't use the word "colour" on - either they stopped using the word earlier than anyone else or they never used it in the first place. Ironic considering the fact that they were not in the first phase of colour transmissions when they were introduced. ATV, Southern and Westward ceased doing that when they ceased broadcasting at the end of 1981.

Interesting with regards to the word "PRODUCTION" on ITV idents - Tyne Tees never used the word on their idents until the 1989 generic ITV era, and Granada stopped using the word at the same time as they stopped using the word "COLOUR", probably because their ident wouldn't have looked right with one word at the bottom.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The first series of Blake's 7 has Colour at the end of the credits, these were shown in early 1978, so the change happened soon afterwards.

The BBC had removed Colour from their logos when they were updated in late 1974.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

“That was a public information film”

Comment

Local continuity announcers reading out birthdays and holding up cards and sometimes during technical difficulties
                a faceless announcer saying “ we apologise for the loss of programme, in the meantime, here is some music”

Comment

U dont see smoking ads.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I was surprised that adverts for cigars & loose tobacco were on TV until the early 1990s. Cigarette ones ended in the mid 1960s.

Comment

• Re: Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Didnt realise ciGGie ads that early.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                      i was surprised that adverts for cig
                      Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                      ars & loose tobacco were on tv until the early 1990s. Cigarette ones ended in the mid 1960s.
                      Last edited by darren; 29-07-2020, 21:29.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        U dont see smoking ads.
                        The adverts don't smoke, and they don't advertise tobacco anymore either.

Of course, cigars and pipe tobacco was advertised well into the mid 1990s. Used to love that Des O'Connor / Russ Abbot series of Castella cigar adverts, especially the fisherman one. They are on YT.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Cigarette adverts might have run a bit longer at the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            Cigarette adverts might have run a bit longer at the cinema.
                            They also had that white strapline seen at the bottom of newspaper and magazine advertisements:

Low to Middle Tar
                            SMOKING DAMAGES YOUR HEALTH
                            Chief Medical Officers, etc

Of course, that strapline didn't exist prior to when cigarettes were advertised on TV in the early to mid 1960s. By the early 1970s, newspapers and magazines used the "EVERY PACKET CARRIES A GIOOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING" message.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X