Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School Rules (Specifically Those Unique To Your School)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Rules (Specifically Those Unique To Your School)

We didn't have a book of rules as such, but the bureaucrats (teachers to you) let us know about these rules as we went along.

I bet that the so-called rule book would have a lot more pages than 20 or 30 years ago, and I assume that a lot of it would be about Health and Safety and Political Correctness as well.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I don't think we had rules that were unique to our school but we did have rules that were unique to certain teachers. One of our teachers hated the word Excellent and if you used the word during her class you could easily be sent to an hours detention for it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        We didn't have a book of rules as such, but the bureaucrats (teachers to you) let us know about these rules as we went along.

I bet that the so-called rule book would have a lot more pages than 20 or 30 years ago, and I assume that a lot of it would be about Health and Safety and Political Correctness as well.
        Agreed George - they made them up as they went a-long - it was like I was saying to a friend the other day about our Ties - I loosened mine and this Teacher was so "Mr Keating" about it and went at me "boy do you know how to wear a Tie/tie one" (which was in First Year/Year 7) and he acted like I was wearing a Cravet or something or a Bow-Tie he was so old School - like that scene in Only Fools and Horses that Rodney is trying to drive away from those heavies and causes the Cop Car to crash/get a dint in it and the Cop goes something like it was only Monday and he starts off really heaavy handed .... then refrains his Temper to "don't do that again" in a much more mellow manner.

My first Secondary School was full of those types ofTeacher - more so when issuing Detentions (to favourites or/and merit slips) but yeah I must admitt as have said before - from my old Geography Teacher - who was a sort of Family Friend - I obtained tons of them - that I still cherish to this day that i aquired under-hand by means of "come on sir/mr at least I tried - am I not worthy of a Merit Certiificate and his answer/actions would be to co-hoaxe me to finish the last part of the Project off - like the "Horse Trick with a Carrott as it is lead to Water" .... but I was quite good at Geography anyway and in a way I am sure he saw me as a "try-er" and sure put me on the right road to loving it as I do now - as well as I am sure he said to other Teachers "this kid excels in my lessons best" so it'd not be under-hand on part/s in many a way (if any I guess)

Back to Detentions though - Freddie, Roland and Julie sure had a point in Grange Hill in Series 10 (87) in the midst of Radio Grange Hill (era 1) and Freddie useing his "illegal" interpretations of the School Handbook as his mouth-piece for the Radio Station in questioning the logistics/severity of the need to issue a plain 10 minute Detention or a next day (which then became the norm in general for most Schools, be it 10 mins, half an hour a hour)

that sure was an accurate discription from memory of 80s/90s School-ing from my memory and thankfuly though I disagree 1000% with a full on Class Detention or keeping behind of a Class cos of 1individual - I think the that lines are less zaggerd now these days from what I hear - which is how it should be that 1 kid gets repercussions Detention-wise for his 1 action or 3 in a group recieve the same treatment each 3 times - if all was conducted by them equaly to earn a Detention etc etc

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
          It was so your tie looked like a thin tie. If you had the fat part showing behind it you'd not get the same effect.
          We had "fake thin" too Mullentino -0 though this was only reserved as a rule for First Years and early 2nd Years - where you had the Tie so long normaly on the proper side that you could make it thin by tucking in the proper bit if needed to have stand alone thin - but the more amazing fact was we was ""clocked/busted" that many times on suspecion of having it real thin as at the point that the narrow part of the tie merges deeper and deeper into the proper part it was narrower on that part - which really fooled many a Teacher until they asked to see it full length in all it's glory (as as like I said in my other post) they hated admitting we was right and they was'nt but phew did that happen .... and not just on this matter neither too!

80sChav

Comment

What too about Showers after PE - at my first Secondary , this only applied for the first and 2nd years but in other instances at other schools it was 9 i heard back in the day -for every year)

It makes more sense to me that a 15 year old would be worried about his Hygene more than an 11 year old/12 year old - but even though we just did a amazingly quick merry dance through them - I can not fault the Laundry Service that existed at my first Secondary for beautifuly warm Greeen Towels always provided!

80sChav

Comment

As for school rules we didn't have any as such; lest a rule book.

I think it was generally up to us to know what is right & what is wrong
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                We had to wear aprons in metal/woodwork so the tie in the machinery wasn't so much of an issue. I seem to remember the workshops also being cold all the time so jumpers were also a necessity and helped with the tie control situation, although my Pierre Cardin cardigan wasn't much cop at holding the tie in as the neck line was quite low.
                That is a good one too Mullentino now upon reading your reply here and thinking back

At my First secondary we never had Aprons for Art but did for H.E (Cookery) and Metalwork/CDT but at my 2nd School - I think it was an Apron for all 3 (or if not it was opposite of my first School)

Additionaly you could not use one for all 3 lessons and you was even more stumped if you was the un-fortunate guy to have 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 3 of these lessons all in one day - but even though for preparing Food you have to be cautious with other stains - I am still talking of the days when Stain Devil was known (which I'm sure Parents etc would of appreciated buying over 3 seperate aprons)!

80sChav

Comment

In high school chewing tobacco became very popular, particularly among the athletes because school rules only prohibited smoking specifically. Later the student handbook was amended to any tobacco.

Comment

We used to go in the woods, on the perimeter of the school playing field, to smoke amongst other things lol
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                      In high school chewing tobacco became very popular, particularly among the athletes because school rules only prohibited smoking specifically. Later the student handbook was amended to any tobacco.
                      You are lucky there Victor - in England we'd never get to see the Handbook lol

Another was for us - we had a drinbs machine - ajacent to the CDT Block that gave outa whole cariety of Drinks - including off-hand, Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocalte, Bovril (if you was luck) and Sqaush consisting of Lime and Orange - though iam sure this never was 2allowed" to be open of an Afternoon Break - thouigh I dunno why this was though to be honest one bit as at that school - the Afternoons was as chilly as the Morninbgs - if a edesired Hot Drink (was the "flavour of the day/hour" .... if you'll pardon the pun/play on words here)!

80sChav

Comment

Another we had was we had White T-Shirts for PE and any with the most tiny logo on they made us wear them inside-out!!
                        Last edited by 80sChav; 29-06-2018, 00:18.

Comment

Some more had had - was you could not just show the Knot of your school tie tucked in the shirt in formal lessons, but they expected it as so for like CDT and Science - though this was understandable as an Health and safety Hazzrd/Risk ..... even in those days, but for Art it was'nt expected - so it was ok to get paint etc on your Tie then

Another take took on ths was the "Snooker Cue Effect", so we did'nt tuck it in as high as the top Button (or lower), so that was that and they "axxepted" that as a Health and Safety minamulisation risk, but woe-betide if you had CDT- English/Maths etc in a row of leesons as the Tie had to be dune immaculate then!

80sChav

Comment

Thou shalt not set fire to your mates tie with the bunsen burner
                            Thou shalt not stick juicy fruit under the desk
                            Thou shalt not draw a huge willy on the blackboard
                            Thou shalt not drag on a players number 10 behind the bike shed
                            Thou shalt not spend all your dinner money on cola cubes and dessert japs
                            Thou shalt not use your school books to make paper planes with
                            Thou shalt not spend the lesson trying to see up miss carpenters skirt
                            Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Thou shalt not draw a huge willy on the blackboard
                              Sex Education lessons excepted of course.

Originally posted by tex View Post
                              Thou shalt not spend the lesson trying to see up miss carpenters skirt
                              I was about to do a joke about carpenters and banging when I read that, but it might get taken the wrong way...
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                                What too about Showers after PE - at my first Secondary , this only applied for the first and 2nd years but in other instances at other schools it was 9 i heard back in the day -for every year)
                                We had cross country running in one PE lesson (I wished I could cross the country to get away from it), and of course the teacher told us for hygienic reasons to have a (freezing cold) shower at the end. Some moron had pinched my towel, and as I didn't want to get my clothes wet, there were some comments made about, shall we say, something I had when I was younger, because of the fact that I had to shower. It wasn't too bad when it came to swimming but with PE it was pure torture.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X