Butcher shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Butcher shops

Refreshingly here in Bournemouth we have a butcher, fishmonger & bakery next to each other.

Even a little New Forest village Milford on Sea has a butcher
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Something I recall from the butcher's shops of old - they always decorated their meat displays with sprigs of parsley.

Yet I don't ever remember meat being cooked or garnished with parsley. Sage, mint, thyme, rosemary - yep! But parsley - well, it just wasn't a thing unless fish was on the menu (and curiously, I don't recall any fishmongers utilising parsley in their shop-window displays)

So I do have to wonder why parsley was the butchers' herb of choice...

Comment

One thing butchers sell now is packs of bacon offcuts for 99p
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Our local butchers sells fabulous hot sausage muffins made as you wait ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Much better than those bland ones Maccy Doo's sell
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              I remember butcher shops where you always glanced in the window at the meats they had,before buying.Sausages were hung on metal hooks,Lamb pork beef joints.They had those white cards and the prices were always in red marker pens and the metal thing were stuck into the meats.There was always a queue.The men wore white aprons a straw hat.Behind the counter you could see those butchers wooden blocks were they would chop up the meat with the cleavers.You could get home made faggots.My mum and Aunt would always buy from the same butchers once a week on a saturday morning.
              Now it is too easy to buy from the supermarket.Cant remember when I last bought from an independent shop,30 odd years ago probably
              Blimey you were lucky, when I was a kid if they had a couple of rabbits in the window, there would be a queue a mile ling and a riot, back then meat was on ration, until 1954, all one saw in the Butchers' shops were plaster pigs and sheep, with sausage made of sawdust, in the better shops before it had been on the floor!!.
              Those were the days "Can I have a sheep's head and mama says leave the eyes in so that it will see us through the week", ah yes all the cheap cuts, because the ration was price based, not weigh, so that the cheaper the cut the more one got for one's ration, stuffed hearts braised kidneys, tripe and onions, when I remember tripe and onions, my stomach still heaves
              I talk to myself much more these days I've found,
              half way up the stairs I stop and frown,
              what was I going to get? and have I got it yet?
              and what's more, was I going up, or coming down?

Comment

I don't whether it was the salmonella or E-Coli outbreaks of the 1990s, or supermarkets expanding that have caused butchers to cease trading in the past 20 years. I think that it is the supermarkets most likely.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The collapse of Fairpack Christmas Hampers caused some problems for butchers, one near me was an agent for Fairpack & closed not long after they went bust.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    The collapse of Fairpack Christmas Hampers caused some problems for butchers, one near me was an agent for Fairpack & closed not long after they went bust.
                    Farepak as they were spelt, although the campaign group when they closed down was called Unfairpak.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I can never understand how this xmas hamper firms get away with it, they have been doing it for decades, "Give us £X a week and come xmas we will send you a voucher to spend at our chosen shops" what they don't say is, "In the mean time we will get the interest on your money, the shops that we own are NOT the cheapest and should anything go wrong you will never see your money again, good 'ere init".
                      They prey on the poor who don't have bank accounts in which to save and can not really afford to lose that money, "Part works" are much the same, the first week/month is half price so that it seems a good deal, what many don't think is, this will cost twice that for each part and there are 100+ parts, running in to hundreds of pounds, about 40 years ago I once lived with a girl who had been collecting these, they had already cost her nearly £100 and she was only about half way through, often when the number of subscribers drop off they stop printing as to give printing for only a few people would cost them more than they would receive and YES I am angry about this, she was a single mum who found it hard to feed her kids and yet she had been suckered in to what was in my opinion a fraudulent deal

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        Farepak as they were spelt, although the campaign group when they closed down was called Unfairpak.
                        Right, I wasn't sure of the name.

Comment

I would never buy a hamper - it would take all the fun of doing food shopping at my local Morrisons, Asda, etc, or my Tesco online shop that I do around December 21st or 22nd. I believe that I have a lot more control in what I want for Christmas, be it a loaf of bread, a box of biscuits for cheese, or a bottle of sherry.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

personally I do all my xmas shopping in the January sales, saves a fortune

Comment

I remember a few companies used to do hampers, but often they had no perishable foods in.

One year we had someone bring the Webb Ivory catalogue which had a page or 2 of different ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Istvan View Post
                                personally I do all my xmas shopping in the January sales, saves a fortune
                                I was referring to food shopping - I doubt that a lot of what I buy would last 11 months.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X