Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Butcher shops

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I was referring to food shopping - I doubt that a lot of what I buy would last 11 months.
    then why not do what I do, have xmas in January,
    I talk to myself much more these days I've found,
    half way up the stairs I stop and frown,
    what was I going to get? and have I got it yet?
    and what's more, was I going up, or coming down?

Comment

Originally posted by Istvan View Post
      then why not do what I do, have xmas in January,
      I know that the Eastern Orthodox church celebrate Christmas in early January, but it would mean having the decorations up a lot longer, and that would be bad luck.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

well given that original the date for xmas in the summer, but the early church changed it to "Take over" the Mithraic Myth, Mithras, born of a virgin, on 25th December, plus many other "Co-incidents"

Comment

well given that original the date for xmas in the summer, but the early church changed it to "Take over" the Mithraic Myth, Mithras, born of a virgin, on 25th December, plus many other "Co-incidents"
          My birthday is in August, so I might celebrate it then.

Back on topic: Remember when butchers used to wear those silly hats with ribbons around the rim? Do they still wear them?
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

in the 1940/50's thw straw boater an Blue and White striped apron was the "Uniform" of a butcher and also the fishmonger

Comment

I don't understand the "naffness" of fancy dress just to sell meat.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

it wasn't "Fancy dress" it was a uniform, much like an undertaker wore and still wear Black frock coats and striped trousers.
                But the was a reason for the uniform, the apron was to protect his and back then butchers were male, clothing from the blood, remember they were real butchers back then, the actually cut the meat, in fact the often did the killing, the straw was, as the while hat in "Butcher" department of supermarkets is today, for hygiene, to stop hairs getting on the food.
                I once lived in a village where the butcher, who had a shop on the T junction in the middle of the village, bought at the local cattle market, drove the animals on foot to the field opposite his shop, killed the animals around behind his shop, butcher the carcasses and sold the joints and sausages, the baker whose shop was just across the T form the butcher, bought the meat that he needed to make his pies and baked them for the village.
                The baker also would fire up oven on a Sunday to roast the villages' Sunday joint, few villagers in small country villages had oven in their homes and if they had remember coal was on ration during and just after the War, the period about which I speak.
                The Grand-father of an ex-girlfriend having been kicked out by his step-father at the age of 10 years, this was about the turn of the century, no compulsory staying at school until even 14, let alone today lolling around until nearly 20 years, many kids especially in the country left at 10-12 bring a wage to the family, this boy got a "Living in" job in the local baker's, it was his job on a Sunday to deal with the Sunday joins, he got himself a very thin very sharp knife, with this he would cut a couple of thin slices of each joint, before it was cooked, if he had cut it after it would have shown, with this he had his meat for the week.
                Anyway back then most job had their "Uniform" each with good reason, Butcher and Fishmonger striped apron and straw boat; grocer and hardware shop, Brown warehouse coat or waist apron to protect the clothing, think Arkwright and Granville or the "4 candles" sketch; the Chefs' tall hat and whites for hygiene, BTW which Chef wears the biggest hat, answer, the one with the biggest head, sorry couldn't resist.
                The farm laborer, ratters etc. wore a string around the calf to stop rats and insects running up their legs, only the farmer or farm manger wore polished leather gaiters; office workers wore black jackets, waistcoats and striped trousers, it being too expensive to buy a three piece suit with several pairs of trousers and the trouser needed changing often due to the smoke from the steam trains, they also wore shirts with detachable collars so that they would have a clean collar each day, similarly they wore celluloid cuffs at work.
                Back then one knew a persons status, my second wife's grand-father owned a diving suit manufactury in Bermondsey, she had a book of photos from it from the early 20th cent., where one could see the owner, her grand-father wore a cut away piece suit, striped trousers, wing collar big tie the size of a cravat with a stick-pin and a Homburg hat, the factory manager a simple three piece suit, "Modern collar" and what looked as if it might have been an officer's regimental tie and a trilby hat, the works foreman a jacket and trousers piece suit, with plain waist coat, "Modern collar and tie" and bowler hat, the "Workers, a mixture of jackets and trousers, neck clothes and flat caps, and woe betide anyone who wore a "Uniform" above his status.

Right then that's the bell for lunch, this afternoon we have Geography, so remember to bring your school Atlas with you

Comment

BTW did you know, (Slipping in to Michael Caine mode) Fancy Dress didn't mean dressing up in fancy clothes, it meant dressing up as a character that one fancied being, not a lot of people know that.
                  Form Webster's dictionary "Definition of fancy dress; a costume (as for a masquerade) chosen to suit the wearer's fancy

:

Comment

BTW did you know, (Slipping in to Michael Caine mode) Fancy Dress didn't mean dressing up in fancy clothes, it meant dressing up as a character that one fancied being, not a lot of people know that.
                    Form Webster's dictionary "Definition of fancy dress; a costume (as for a masquerade) chosen to suit the wearer's fancy
                    Yes, I think that I do know what the definition of fancy dress is.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

surprising how many don't, given that they dress up as blocks of cheese, xmas trees, toadstools etc.

BTW did you hear about the hare who sneaked up on a fairy sitting on a toadstool and kissed her, right on the toadstool, just then the fairy queen popped up and said "Just for that I am going to turn you into a goon" so hence the saying "Hare today, goon tomorrow"

Comment

surprising how many don't, given that they dress up as blocks of cheese, xmas trees, toadstools etc.

BTW did you hear about the hare who sneaked up on a fairy sitting on a toadstool and kissed her, right on the toadstool, just then the fairy queen popped up and said "Just for that I am going to turn you into a goon" so hence the saying "Hare today, goon tomorrow"
                        Yes I did because you have just told me.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                        X