Paraffin Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paraffin Heaters

I have just acquired a Parafire paraffin heater but cant find out anything about it and was wondering if anyone can help me with particularly how to light the thing. I am familiar with conventional paraffin fires but this is nothing like a conventional domestic parafin heater although I feel sure it is for domestic use as it is a good looking rather art deco style thing with all the usual guards that domestic types would have.
    Hope someone can help.
    Regards

Re: Paraffin Heaters

Sorry Robert can't help with that.But do remember the adverts "dum dum dum dum, esso Blue"
    sung by Joe the esso dealer - advert still up on youtube

Comment

I remember there were paraffin vending machines where you took an empty container for around a few shillings IIRC
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s before my parents got central heating, they had a big paraffin heater to warm our back room on winter mornings. It used to get so hot that we toasted bread on it via a toasting fork. My dad had a small, flat paraffin heater that he would put under the car in the winter to keep the engine a bit warm.

Comment

I recall the esso blue ad. Also we had paraffin delivered to our house.

I would be careful of using older appliances as there may be risks of carbon monoxide. You must get the heater checked prior to using.

Comment

Sensible advice, Moonraker. My mom's uncle and aunt were rather Scrooge-like and on cold days they would sit in their kitchen huddled over one of those tall paraffin heaters from the 70s, with hardly any flame and the smell was quite strong. Years later, my uncle suffered very badly with his lungs and my dad always blamed it on him being hunched over that heater when it was almost going out.

Comment

We used to have a paraffin heater for when it snowed and our central heating wasn't up to it
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
              X