The Making of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Making of...

Years ago, ITV would show the making of a film usually during Christmas, school and Bank Holidays. These shows got me interested in visual FX, especially the first doc I recall seeing as a child which was The Making of Star Wars (of course). Its really sad that they dont do this very often now. I keep an eye on the schedules, and very rarely do they transmit such documentaries anymore. But when I had Sky Movies, they would often show a behind the scenes programme to promote the latest blockbuster which was out on release. But I noticed that these were pretty superficial efforts which did not give due respect to the stunt and FX people like the old shows did, and were usually vainglorious with actors saying how brilliant their co-stars and director are. MTV's making of shows were much better, but they stopped showing them and even music and decided to go down the "reality" programming road - Like most channels looking to get more viewers the easy way. Which is one reason why I no longer have Sky.

In any case, does anyone remember seeing the Electric Theatre Show (circa 1982) edition on Who Dares Wins, which was repeated a few times? Or even the Making of Raiders also repeated? The Making of Empire Strikes Back. Superman 2. Etc., etc? I seem to recall a Disney special on BBC about the making of Tron, which had the most CGI of any movie at that time.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5yc_Ykf6s
    Last edited by agfagaevart; 29-03-2016, 16:39.

Re: The Making of...

I remember TMO Superman III seemed to be shown as much as the film on bank holidays.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes i remember that mate that they did that.

But ive not seen them do this with a film in at least 20 yrs.

A lot of these making of are now on youtube.

Perhaps itv thought it a waste of time.
      Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
      years ago, itv would show the making of a film usually during christmas, school and bank holidays. These shows got me interested in visual fx, especially the first doc i recall seeing as a child which was the making of star wars (of course). Its really sad that they dont do this very often now. I keep an eye on the schedules, and very rarely do they transmit such documentaries anymore. But when i had sky movies, they would often show a behind the scenes programme to promote the latest blockbuster which was out on release. But i noticed that these were pretty superficial efforts which did not give due respect to the stunt and fx people like the old shows did, and were usually vainglorious with actors saying how brilliant their co-stars and director are. Mtv's making of shows were much better, but they stopped showing them and even music And decided to go down the "reality" programming road - like most channels looking to get more viewers the easy way. Which is one reason why i no longer have sky.

In any case, does anyone remember seeing the electric theatre show (circa 1982) edition on who dares wins, which was repeated a few times? Or even the making of raiders also repeated? the making of empire strikes back. superman 2. Etc., etc? I seem to recall a disney special on bbc about the making of tron, which had the most cgi of any movie at that time.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp5yc_ykf6s
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Maybe the advent of DVD and then Blu-Ray curtailed the showing of such programs, as most releases have an 'extras' section. Sky did show some very in depth 'making of' documentaries when they do their special events, they definitely did some for Star Wars and Harry Potter series.

Comment

Working...
        X