Cockles and Laverbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cockles and Laverbread

Anyone have tried or liked cockles and laverbread?

As a kid my mum would buy cockles still in their shell and she would put them in a saucepan when the water would boil,the cockles would start to open.I liked them as for laverbread I did not like it ,looked horrible slimey dark green colour and garnished with flour.

Well a couple of weeks ago in a pub we went to for a meal cockles and laverbread was on the menu as a starter,and I fancied some to try and I thoroughly enjoyed it

Re: Cockles and Laverbread

Tried Cockles when I was younger. When I went on holiday to my Aunties we used to go out on the mudflats to collect them. Hard work digging for them. We used to collect buckets of them. I certainly remember my Auntie popping them in the hot water to cook them. Never really liked the taste of sea food and Cockles make me heave. The last time we went collecting them they were all bad. Some disease or pollution got to them and it made my Auntie bad for a long time afterwards. There was even a warning over the local news not to eat the cockles and muscles in the area. It would of been sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's.
    I have seen laver bread on TV and it does not appeal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
      Tried Cockles when I was younger. When I went on holiday to my Aunties we used to go out on the mudflats to collect them. Hard work digging for them. We used to collect buckets of them. I certainly remember my Auntie popping them in the hot water to cook them. Never really liked the taste of sea food and Cockles make me heave. The last time we went collecting them they were all bad. Some disease or pollution got to them and it made my Auntie bad for a long time afterwards. There was even a warning over the local news not to eat the cockles and muscles in the area. It would of been sometime in the late 70's or very early 80's.
      I have seen laver bread on TV and it does not appeal to me.
      Thats why I stopped eating them from late 70s because of pollution coming from the sea

Comment

Was v sick on cockles once - maybe it was the beer beforehand...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          Was v sick on cockles once - maybe it was the beer beforehand...
          A few pints to many

Comment

One or two...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
            X