PPx batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPx batteries

PP3 batteries are ubiquitous and PP9 batteries are still available if you know where to look but does anybody remember the other batteries in the PPx family including the PP1, PP6, and PP7? They were available in the 1990s from Maplin and good electrical product shops although they were rarely sold in 'ordinary' shops alongside the PP3 but they are now very hard to find.

Re: PPx batteries

I only remember the PP3 and PP9 batteries. Any idea what the other ones were used in?

Comment

PP SERIES OF BATTERIES.

JUST FOUND THIS PIC.

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE.

SOME OF THEM MIGHT HAVE BEEN USED FOR CARS.

Last edited by darren; 15-07-2016, 14:45.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Larger batteries were in radios & bike lights.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wow, Yes I remember some of these were used in bike lights .....could hurt your foot if it fell out....and used to power Scalextric race game

Comment

Some high power lantern type torches also used them.

Comment

Wunt put yer tongue across the contacts of the big ones....lol

Comment

PP8 was used for electric fences

PP10 had two pin connectors instead of the usual PP snap terminals

PP11 had a four pin plug connector. It was actually two 4.5V batteries in one case. Used for some early transistor radios with a push-pull class B power amplifier which required a +4.5V and -4.5V supply.

Attached Files

Comment

PP3 & PP9 I've only heard of; unaware of the others
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Whatever happened to Ever Ready batteries? They were the official alternative to Duracell. Did they become Energizer or something?

I know that they were still had a high profile when they had those "Ever Eddy" adverts circa 1991-1992.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I read that Every Ready ended up being bought by Energizer after bring passed around by a few other companies.

Comment

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND OUT.

Prior to March 1, 1980, the company's
                        alkaline battery had been called the Eveready Alkaline Battery (1959–1968),Eveready Alkaline Energizer (196
                        8–1974) and Eveready Alkaline Power Cell (1974–February 29, 1980). On March 1, 1980, it was rebadged under its current name, Energizer.

PP STOOD FOR POWER PACK NEVER KNEW THAT TILL NOW.

Last edited by darren; 02-11-2017, 15:43.

Comment

A side by side comparison of a PP9 battery and the more common PP3 type battery. This battery type was 9 volts and had 2 snap connectors. They were spaced 35.0 mm apart. It is a GP version and as such is slightly smaller then a "standardised" PP9.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I read that Every Ready ended up being bought by Energizer after bring passed around by a few other companies.
                            I thought so. I always thought that they replaced Ever Ready. (I notice that you put "Every" - I nearly did that myself prior to posting earlier).

My father had some of those Murphy rechargeable batteries, along with the charger where plugged it in and put the batteries in there overnight. I always thought that rechargeable batteries were so weak in comparison compared to long-life ones, even if they had been recharged to the maximum capacity. Put them in a radio and go on a daytrip with them and they wouldn't last the entire day. Supermarket own-name ones are weak as well.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

PPx batteries were originally designed for transistorised equipment in the 1950s. They were a higher voltage than most existing batteries at a low current. Different sizes were made with varying maximum currents and energy capacity. Higher capacity PP3 batteries have replaced PP6 and PP7.

I have never seen PP4, PP10, or PP11 batteries in real life.

Comment

Working...
                              X