Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad executive cars of the past

Default Re: Bad executive cars of the past

The Hyundai Sonata from the 1990s. Take a lacklustre family saloon, expand the bodyshell, fill it with every electrical toy, then advertise it as being an executive car. Except that it's not up to the refinement and standard that one would expect from an executive car even by the standards of the 1990s.

Austin Princess. My dad had one 2nd hand. Often maligned but my dad thought it was the bees knees. One of my first cars was a Talbot Solara. Not quite executive but it did have electric windows. Was forever having to fix them .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Vauxhall Viceroy

Wasn't the Vauxhall Royale also meant as a luxury car, similar to the Viceroy?

The Vauxhall Royale was the same car as the Opel Senator and the Vauxhall Royale Coupe was the same car as the Opel Monza. They were magnificent German Autobahnstormers in their day.

The Chrysler 180 was quite a handsome car but never had the kudos to be a sales success. It was designed by Rootes (you can tell from the design that it is basically an upscaled Avenger) but built in Spain, where it was a popular car. Far better looking than the disastrous Tagora which was only sold for about two years before being pulled from the market. Described in the motoring press at the time as 'Everything a big car should not be - apart from big possibly'. Having said that, it was developed on a shoestring budget and had to make use of the existing PSA parts bin. I seem to remember that the huge gaps in the rear wheel arches resulted from having to use an existing Peugeot axle that was too narrow for the car! The Fiat Argenta was another lemon. In reality it was of course just a penny-pinching update of the old (but again more attractive) 132, which had been on sale for a decade and was well past its sell by date. And 1982 was not a good time to be launching a car called the Argenta in Britain! Why not go to town and call it the Malvinas?

Some of the earlier big Japanese cars didn't sell well in the UK, probably better suited to the American 2nd car market.

Examples:

Datsun Cedric

Toyota Crown

Colt (Mitsubishi) Sigma (Also imported as the Australian built Lonsdale)

Mazda 929
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Some of the earlier big Japanese cars didn't sell well in the UK, probably better suited to the American 2nd car market.

Examples:

Datsun Cedric

Toyota Crown

Colt (Mitsubishi) Sigma (Also imported as the Australian built Lonsdale)

Mazda 929
    My cousin had a stunning Totota Supra 3litre back in the day ..

It was the ex company car of one of the Toyoto executives and had every conceivable extra fitted .. I just loved the flick up / down headlights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember reading that in the 1990s the Toyota Camry was a good car to own, but a bit too big to be a family car, & not the right image for an executive model.
    The Trickster On The Roof

The Japanese were best at small cars in the early years, e.g. Datsun Cherry, Toyota Starlet, Honda Civic, Mazda 323 etc. They made an impact in this sector and then turned their attention to larger, more expensive cars. Hard to imagine now, but Japanese cars were often regarded with suspicion/contempt until the early 1980s. Remember the phrase 'Jap c**p'? It is also worth noting that German luxury cars were much less evident up until about 1980. An executive car meant a big Ford, Vauxhall or BL model to most people, with owning what is perceived as a premium brand being far less important. Would a modern equivalent of the Ford Granada/Scorpio find a ready market today? I doubt it.