Who made the best music videos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who made the best music videos?

I don't have that much of a memory for so many vid's from these era's....you'll have to remind me!

Let's see what we can come up with!

I remember Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

I also remember the classic 'November Rain' by Guns n Roses.

I know it's not 'old' by any means, but I do like the new Aerosmith video, (Fly Away From Here).

Comment

I've always liked video's by Queen, like A Kind Of Magic, Bohemian Rahpsody....
      Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

I agree Queen videos, my fave being I want to break free
        No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

Best Video Got To Be Duran Duran
          Wild Boys
          Girls On Film ( The Uncut Version )
          THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by dondons69
            I agree Queen videos, my fave being I want to break free
            lol yeah, a true classic.
            Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

A Ha's Take On Me was pretty groundbreaking

or as Dondons89 says I Want To Break Free was so good. Gotta love Roger Taylor for having the bottle for that one

Comment

hey its dondons69 lol!!!
                No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

Duran Duran did make some pretty good videos in those days. As well as "Wild Boys", "The Reflex" and "Rio" stand out too.
                  A-Ha, Soft Cell, Frankie, The Police, Culture Club etc all made good videos.
                  Some were even better then the songs!
                  Old enough to know better...

Comment

I don't know if this was my fav, but since I was and still am a video junkie; I remember Level 42 "Something About you" video. One of the guys was dressed up as this really creepy clown...use to scare the bejeebers out of me every time I saw it.
                    I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

Here my favorites

The obvious choice for best video is Michael Jackson’s Thriller. It’s like a mini horror movie.

Here is a list of some others that I remember. I have a couple thousand hard rock videos recorded and in a database if you are wondering how I was able to “remember” so many.

Aerosmith - Walk This Way (with Run DMC)
                      Aerosmith - Rag Doll
                      Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady
                      Aerosmith - Angel
                      Aerosmith - Love In an Elevator
                      Aerosmith - Janie’s Got A Gun
                      Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
                      Aerosmith - Livin’ on the Edge
                      Aerosmith - Eat the Rich
                      Aerosmith - Crazy
                      Aerosmith - Cryin’
                      Cinderella - Nobody’s Fool
                      David Lee Roth - California Girls
                      David Lee Roth - Yankee Rose
                      David Lee Roth - Just a Gigolo
                      David Lee Roth - Just Like Paradise
                      George Harrison - When We Were Fab
                      Guns N’ Roses - Don’t Cry
                      Guns N’ Roses - November Rain
                      Guns N’ Roses – Estranged
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years
                      John Fogerty - The Old Man Down the Road. (For some reason I loved following that guitar cord forever)
                      Metallica - Enter Sandman (this one was kinda spooky)
                      Motley Cure - Girls, Girls, Girls
                      Motley Cure - Home Sweet Home
                      Motley Cure - Dr. Feelgood
                      Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
                      Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
                      Steve Vai - For the Love of God (this one was breath-taking)
                      The Cars - You Might Think
                      Tom Petty’s - Don’t Come Around Here No More (I loved the Alice In Wonderland theme)
                      Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
                      Twisted Sister - We’re Not Gonna Take It
                      Warrant - Cherry Pie (I loved the solid white background effect, not to mention the girl)
                      ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin’
                      ZZ Top – Legs
                      ZZ Top - Rough Boy
                      ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
                      ZZ Top - Sleeping Bay
                      ZZ Top – Stages
                      ZZ Top - TV Dinners
                      ZZ Top - Velcro Fly

As you can see from my selections above, I am biased to hard rock and I have to admit that I have not watched much MTV in the past 10 years or so. This is mainly because I am a huge fan of classic hard rock, like KISS, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Tesla, Cinderella, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motley Cure, Ratt, Dokken, Dio, Guns N’ Roses, Queen, Iced Earth, ect. But, unfortunately, grunge rock killed classic hard rock in the US when Nirvana made it big and grunge rock took over. Now that grunge rock is pretty much dead, the classic bands are starting to come back a little. In the mean time, I started getting into progressive rock like Dream Theater, Queensryche, Symphony X and Fates Warning. I don’t know what it’s like in the UK, but in the US, all MTV seems to show is pop and rap. That is, if you are lucky enough to actually see MTV play a video in between all the crud they air.

If your interest in music sounds similar to mine, check out this link to the best radio station in Dallas: http://www.933thebone.com/ You are supposed to be able to listen online, but I have never tried since I get the station perfect on the radio. On the left side of their home page, there are links to some lists like "Working man 300" and "The Bonehead 500". Check them out; they may bring back some memories.

PS: Even though I don’t care too much for rap or pop, I did enjoy DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince in “Parents Just Don’t Understand” and The Bangles “Walk Like an Egyptian”.

Comment

Alex Derakoff, director of the "Sympathy for the Devil" remix, discusses the theme of the video:

"I drew inspiration for the "Sympathy for the Devil" video from the lyrics, which portray a Devil who disguises himself in many different forms, and covertly wreaks havoc on the very fabric of humanity. We decided to follow these themes and felt the best way to do that would be to shoot a narrative piece. As a director, you don't often get the chance to shoot a purely narrative video without performance, so it was a very exciting process for everybody involved. Our story follows a young Devil who appears out of the desert and comes to town for the day to wreak havoc. He knows our weaknesses and plays us like fools. The physical world is his playground and we all pay the price..."

cool like that one dude...
                        BRIAN JONES - this brilliant multi-talented musician who attempted, albeit unsuccessfully, to juggle drug use with his musical output, died under questionable circumstances on the...

Comment

always liked the beastie boys - sabbotage

Comment

i like George Harrison's 'got my mind set on you' vid. It was kinda like the Maynards fruit gum ad - talking moose head, etc.

Walk of life was a good 'un.

Comment

Weird Al
                              You Rep Me....I'll Rep You, Deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X