The Invaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invaders

I've been enjoying the re-runs of The Invaders on the Horror chanel lately and thought I would see if there were any other fans on the board?

Each episode had determined architect David Vincent tracking down the invaders around the US, often in quiet little towns, and trying to expose their presence - usually foiling their schemes temporarily but ending up with no-one believing him.

Special effects were limited with one exception, which fortunately was a real corker. The aliens could only survive on Earth for limited periods without regenerating. If they left it too long or were killed, they burned up in a red glow.

Unfortunately for Vincent, this meant no evidence to support his cause!

The rest of the tension was cause by meaningful looks and suspicious behaviour from the cast, so it often became a case of trying to guess who was an alien and who was just an insular middle-American - and the show was all the better for it.

After a few episodes with the powerful theme music and dramatic voiceovers, you'll never be able to trust sweet old ladies ever again.

Re: The Invaders

Yes, I am a fan of The Invaders and have the series on DVD. I think the first time I saw the series was in the early 70s, when it was shown on Sunday afternoons in the ATV region. I also remember it being shown once a week on BBC2 in the 6pm slot in the 80s and again in the 90s. Nice to see it being repeated on the Horror Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      Yes, I am a fan of The Invaders and have the series on DVD. I think the first time I saw the series was in the early 70s, when it was shown on Sunday afternoons in the ATV region. I also remember it being shown once a week on BBC2 in the 6pm slot in the 80s and again in the 90s. Nice to see it being repeated on the Horror Channel.
      I think it must have been the BBC2 6:00 slot I first saw the show. I believe it started in 1967, so believe it or not we are coming up fast on the 50th anniversary!

Comment

I might have seen the odd episode during the BBC2 1980s repeats.

It was unlucky to end without a proper final episode.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Strange the invaders is now on the horror channel a very good show indeed.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I watched it the last time round (a coupla years ago?) and liked it a lot.
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

i remeber the series from the Beeb runs in the '90s.

Watched one on HC t'other night...

Comment

There were 2 seasons of The Invaders. I don't know if a 3rd season was planned but ratings didn't justify it. Similar series like Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants also had no resolution at the end of their final seasons, ratings being at least part of the reason, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  There were 2 seasons of The Invaders. I don't know if a 3rd season was planned but ratings didn't justify it. Similar series like Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants also had no resolution at the end of their final seasons, ratings being at least part of the reason, I believe.
                  The 2nd series saw Vincent having accumulated a small group of believers, so it would have been interesting to see how things developed. I suppose one possible ending would have seen Vincent getting the military on-side and a big shoot-out - but that would have gone against the spirit of the show.

In some ways it may be a good thing there was no conclusion.

How would YOU have liked to have seen it end?

Comment

At least The Fugitive made around the same time had a decent ending, & was one of the most watched shows in the USA for a few years.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

There was a TV movie in 1995...

Attached Files

Comment

In some ways, The Invaders reminded me of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers; in both, aliens were disguising themselves as humans and a small group were trying to alert the authorities of what was going on. In Bodysnatchers a semi-happy ending was tagged on so that authorites did actually take notice and begin to gather for a response. I don't think The Invaders had the budget to show a major battle between aliens and alerted governments, so I would have wanted either for Vincent to convince the authorites as in Bodysnatchers and leave it at that or go for a downbeat ending in which Vincent fails and is killed or or ridiculed, though at the time the show was made, I doubt if a downbeat ending would have been acceptable to the networks.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          There was a TV movie in 1995...

I was REALLY hoping no-one would mention that one....

Comment

:d

Comment

The only thing I remember about this series is the stiff little fingers!!
                              http://www.thefawltytowersguide.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X