Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cup Cakes with red and green glace cherries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cup Cakes with red and green glace cherries.

Back in the day (late 70's early 80's) I remember my mum making cupcakes that had red and green glace cherry bits in them.This was from one of those "instant" boxes that had all the ingredients in. I used to love them as a kid. Does anyone know if they're still produced anywhere? I know I could get a cake mix and just put some chopped up glace cherries in but it's not the same.

Finnthedude.

Re: Cup Cakes with red and green glace cherries.

I remember these they were made by a long gone company called Viola (I think) and I don't think it was glacé cherries but jelly pieces.
    I had forgotten all about these until I saw your post.

Comment

Yes...I remember the cakes, out of a packet (can't recall who)...and the Jelly pieces were GORGEOUS !!!

...and they were FAIRY CAKES - not this american/politically correct cupcake nonsense ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
        Yes...I remember the cakes, out of a packet (can't recall who)...and the Jelly pieces were GORGEOUS !!!

...and they were FAIRY CAKES - not this american/politically correct cupcake nonsense ;-)
        Any words or sayings always ends up in good old blighty.I hate it to

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
          Any words or sayings always ends up in good old blighty.I hate it to
          I had thought they were different, a cupcake being larger & denser sponge compared to a fairy cake.

It was in common use in the 1950s, when Cupcake was one of the characters in The Army Game.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah cupcakes are much bigger than fairy cakes.
            Heather

Comment

stands corrected x

Comment

Originally posted by gryzor View Post
                I remember these they were made by a long gone company called Viola (I think) and I don't think it was glacé cherries but jelly pieces.
                I had forgotten all about these until I saw your post.
                I have just been corrected by my mother that the company was called Viota and not Viola as I had stated and that the jelly pieces while being jelly were called Chellies.

And I am in agreement with them being fairy cakes and not cupcakes.

Comment

This is THEM !!! Viota Afternoon Tea Cake' ...............oops, now we will have Fairy, Cup, and Tea cakes discussion ;-)
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's definitely them! Viota Afternoon Tea Cakes. So the red and green bits were called chellies? Does anyone know if there is anything similar available now?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Finnthedude.

Comment

I always thought cup cakes were just what Americans call any fairy cake type thing. I don't remember coming across cup cakes as we know them now or hearing the name when I was young. For some reason even the name makes my skin crawl. Too American and twee, and I don't actually like them. Way too much icing!
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                        I always thought cup cakes were just what Americans call any fairy cake type thing. I don't remember coming across cup cakes as we know them now or hearing the name when I was young. For some reason even the name makes my skin crawl. Too American and twee, and I don't actually like them. Way too much icing!
                        Just looking at them makes me feel sick knowing all that sugary icing topping

Comment

I remember there was a little packet of glace cherries (maybe 1 red, 1 green and 1 yellow) and you used to have to cut them up really small to make them go round. Don't think you can get now.

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post

Got to agree the name cup cakes really grates me no end, where im from they are either Fairy Cakes or Buns.

Comment

Viota. Now I remember. Used to try pinching the cherry pieces before they got into the mix, and always ended up getting the wooden spoon on the back of the hands whilst attempting it.

When the cakes were ready I used to pick out the cherry pieces to eat them, then eat the rest of the sponge after . The cherry pieces were fairly hard as well, more like jelly. red and green, but I can also remember yellow pieces as somebody else mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X