• pam ayres
    • tommy boyd
    • doc cox (1982–1992)
    • simon fawnshawe
    • cyril fletcher (1973–1981)
    • john gould
    • joanna monroe (1982–1984)
    • mollie sugden(1986)
    Last edited by darren; 03-06-2016, 12:58.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: Thats life.

Victoria Wood used to perform topical songs for a time.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Throughout the show's life, there was criticism of the format of the typical edition moving abruptly from a deeply serious issue to a comical one (such as the rudely shaped vegetables) and back again. This was always defended by Rantzen and the crew, who said that the aim was to represent the full spectrum of life, from the sad to the funny, and always tried to end editions on an uplifting, light-hearted or humorous item.

Over time the programme increasingly concentrated on sentimental, light and humorous items - particularly after being taken to court by a doctor it tried to discredit and landing the BBC with huge litigation costs (estimated at £1.2 million in a guardian article[ - and featured and appealed to senior citizens. The public hence became increasingly polarised between those who loved the programme, and those who loathed both it and its presenter esther rantzen. The latter camp included victor lewis smith, who in addition to sketches and spoof songs featured on his radio 1 show show, made some hoax phone calls to the programme, sometimes referring to Rantzen as 'Teeth' after her most prominent feature.

MUSICAL GUESTS

• CATHERINE HOWE
        • LYNSEY DE PAUL
        • RICHARD STILLGOE
        • JAKE THACKRAY
        • VICTORIA WOOD (1976–1979)
        Last edited by darren; 03-06-2016, 13:39.

Comment

Doc Cox aka Ivor Biggun!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            Doc Cox aka Ivor Biggun!
            That's another story altogether .....

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              It was a staple of 70s/80s viewing on sunday nights. I used to like when they would do those street interviews of members of the public and for some reason that same old lady was interviewed nearly every week. There was also a short-lived feature where people would send letters with only the briefest or vaguest of addresses. One week the That's Life office had received a letter with just a drawing of big teeth on the envelope.

In one of my Victor Lewis-Smith books he mentions sending Esther a letter addressed as just Teeth c/o BBC and it got delivered. I wonder if that's the same one.

Comment

Hi Trip2themoon, Not sure. My recollection is that the envelope had just a drawing of a pair of big teeth on it and no writing, but it's been 30+ years since I saw it so I could be wrong about no writing, but it was definitely a drawing of teeth.

Comment

That's Life! felt so better on Sunday evenings than it did on Saturdays like it was in the first few and final few series - I always associate it with Sunday night TV along with other shows like Spitting Image; Hale and Pace; Clive James/Floyd/Tarrant on TV; The South Bank Show; Mastermind; and Prisoner: Cell Block H. Always that "weekend is over - school in the morning" feel to things - I am certain that it was even talked about in the Monday morning playground.

I used to think that the show was like a TV programme equivalent of Private Eye magazine - one had the Cyril Flectcher / Doc Cox / Sugden / Fanshawe "Odd Odes" just like the misprints and Colemanballs, and one also had the serious stuff such as consumer journalism and human interest stories just like the In the Back Column. I don't think that there was any controversy by featuring road accidents next to rude vegetables - I think that just like the programme suggests, it explores all spectrums of modern life.

Some of the highlights for me were:

1) Grant Baynham having a bucket of water tipped over his head because he wouldn't stop smoking.

2) Esther with the stuffed cat.

3) Esther again dropping a plate on a concrete block that then smashed, to prove the dangerousness of children's playgrounds, and the introduction of woodchips (which allowed kids to put them down other kids' backs).

4) The foundation of Childline and the charity singles premiered on the show.

5) Doc Cox in garden centres or DIY stores doing sing songs with the public.

6) Esther being arrested for blocking the pavement - the arresting officer made an appearance on That's Life All Over in 1994 by which time he had retired.

7) Adrian Mills being unable to do a Spanish or Mexican accent.

8) Annie Mitzen (the elderly lady interviewed by Esther when she was sampling alcohol): "no, that's whisky and that's brandy".

9) Vox Pop - Esther: "do you wear socks in bed?" Elderly man: "condoms".

10) Another Vox Pop - Esther singing the Neighbours theme tune and a man thought it was the EastEnders tune.

11) Esther and her crew having to flee this building when some Rottweiler dogs or Alsatians were let loose - "we're leaving, we're leaving".

12) Talking Yorkshire terrier dog saying "I want one".

Bring That's Life! back and put it back on 10.00 pm on Sunday evenings - I have a good idea of which presenters could fit the roles if it was.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=esth...obile&ie=UTF-8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I remember there was a mix of funny & shocking items, overseas products with odd names seemed to be a regular feature.

Comment

Savile never worked on That's Life! or had any direct connection with the programme apart from the link with Esther Rantzen.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I remember there was a mix of funny & shocking items, overseas products with odd names seemed to be a regular feature.
                          Doc Cox revealed Bimbo Bread and Sor-Bits chewing gum to the British public in his part of the programme.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

https://youtu.be/k9N3sZDq4Qs

IT WAS REGULAR VIEWING FOR ME EVERY SUNDAY AFTER L O T S W.

A MIX OF FUNNY AND SERIOUS TOPICS.

I SUPPOSE WATCHDOG IS THE MODERN VERSION OF THATS LIFE.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              https://youtu.be/k9N3sZDq4Qs

IT WAS REGULAR VIEWING FOR ME EVERY SUNDAY AFTER L O T S W.

A MIX OF FUNNY AND SERIOUS TOPICS.

I SUPPOSE WATCHDOG IS THE MODERN VERSION OF THATS LIFE.

I remember my Dad saying it started a lot more serious like Watchdog, but became more & more self parodying as time went on.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                For some reason, only half the programme is on there - this seems to be the case with a few 1980s editions where I believe the whole episode wasn't originally recorded. That one features Cyril Fletcher's final series before he went into semi-retirement and did Gardening Time for Central, and went completely retired and moved to Guernsey.

The following series was moved to the autumn because of Rantzen's pregnancy (and also the main reason why she dropped out of joining TV-am as well). Gavin Campbell joined as well and was there for more than half its run - he was an actor previously and had previously appeared in the Chessington Zoo episode of Grange Hill as a teacher from another school.
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X