Memories Buying Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memories Buying Shoes

Old working boots used to have hobnails in them for extra grip, many police forces used to have them as standard footwear for officers on the beat.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Blakeys were kinda like little Horse Shoes for people!

Comment

wow theyre still going thats incredible.

not heard of them.

They do both metal and rubber too.

Thats one of the problems when ive bought shoes in the past once they wear out have to get new ones hard to find places that do re soling etc.

have you ever used any of there products.

Originally posted by dscoman View Post
        blakeys segs !!!!- brilliant - they were a big craze back in the day
        metal protector for heels and sole......
        Company still going today, since 1902 !!
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
          Blakeys were kinda like little Horse Shoes for people!
          Awwww....!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I couldn't find a thread about this, which surprised me.

There are a few things I remember from buying shoes when I was younger.

Brands like Start Rite & K Shoes, as well as the omnipresent Clarks.

One shop I used to go to would get busy in the school holidays, so they had one of those ticket machines fitted so they would know which order to serve people in.

Those measuring machines with steel blocks that moved each side of your foot, I was always worried it would squash my foot!

A smaller shop I used to go had only a simple device with a sliding gauge & a tape measure.

Assistants spraying talc into shoes before & after trying them on.

You & your parents liking different pairs of shoes.

Having to buy some new polish to go with your new shoes, "Skufcote" was one I remember.

Wearing your new shoes home with the old ones in the box.

Your Mum insisting you kept the box for storage, I think she still has some as old as me around!

Oddly I don't remember shoes taking much to wear them in when I was young, but as an adult they always seem to slide the backs of my heels!
            I recall a fair few of these things you mention here, Richard - though at the age of say 7 to 12 I had no interest in Shoes and though we had at least two good Shoe shop's for Boys and Men (which now stands at 1) in my Home Town - I found the said shop's "boring old men's shop's".

In-particular too as I think I've said elsewhere on here my late Grandad had an obsession with Greenwoods in-particular and trying to "bargain" with the Manager/Deputy for years, though of course he'd cotton on different as to not loose face like many of his generation would. So I guess if he thought he could barter for reasonable Shirts - even after retiring from his Job as a Driver that he had to look extremely smart for- that you can apply the same to Shoes, as one of his many Wardobes would also testify (not as all came from Greenwoods either I'm sure), but he had just begun this knack at this stage of his life after retiring in the mid 80s to buy many Clothing and Footwear items whatever reasonable price and look etc they where!

80sChav

Comment

My Dad occasionally bought clothes from Greenwoods, but I don't feel old enough to shop there yet!

I'm not sure where the nearest one to me is now, as the one in Stockport became a salon a few years ago.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Comment

There used to be two shoe shops in one street where we used to shop sometimes. Olivers & Timpsons and Stead & Simpson, I think that's what they were called. We went to either one. I always wanted a pair of shoes that would light up when you'd step.

Comment

As a forty something now, I also used to get childhood shoes at Clarkes and had the ticket machine and foot compactor measuring device.

I took my 8yr old for school shoes the other week and dropped into Clarkes again and was amazed they still use the measuring device, but it's now done using an ipad.

The foot compactor thing was more exciting.

Comment

The compass in the heel!

Yes, I was bought a pair of those a long time ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
                        The compass in the heel!

Yes, I was bought a pair of those a long time ago!

Comment

Jinx!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                            X