Memories Buying Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories Buying Shoes

I couldn't find a thread about this, which surprised me.

There are a few things I remember from buying shoes when I was younger.

Brands like Start Rite & K Shoes, as well as the omnipresent Clarks.

One shop I used to go to would get busy in the school holidays, so they had one of those ticket machines fitted so they would know which order to serve people in.

Those measuring machines with steel blocks that moved each side of your foot, I was always worried it would squash my foot!

A smaller shop I used to go had only a simple device with a sliding gauge & a tape measure.

Assistants spraying talc into shoes before & after trying them on.

You & your parents liking different pairs of shoes.

Having to buy some new polish to go with your new shoes, "Skufcote" was one I remember.

Wearing your new shoes home with the old ones in the box.

Your Mum insisting you kept the box for storage, I think she still has some as old as me around!

Oddly I don't remember shoes taking much to wear them in when I was young, but as an adult they always seem to slide the backs of my heels!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Memories Buying Shoes

Wayfinder shoes with compasses in!

Attached Files
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

i loved the smell of new shoes getting ur feet put in that metal thing which measures your feet.
      Always thought it felt funny.

I always worried my feet might smell a bit.

Yes wore shoes home with old ones in the box yep i did that.

WAS ALWAYS CLARKS SHOES I GOT.
      SHOP STILL EXISTS IN MY TOWN.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
      i couldn't find a thread about this, which surprised me.

There are a few things i remember from buying shoes when i was younger.

Brands like start rite & k shoes, as well as the omnipresent clarks.

One shop i used to go to would get busy in the school holidays, so they had one of those ticket machines fitted so they would know which order to serve people in.

Those measuring machines with steel blocks that moved each side of your foot, i was always worried it would squash my foot!

A smaller shop i used to go had only a simple device with a sliding gauge & a tape measure.

Assistants spraying talc into shoes before & after trying them on.

You & your parents liking different pairs of shoes.

Having to buy some new polish to go with your new shoes, "skufcote" was one i remember.

Wearing your new shoes home with the old ones in the box.

Your mum insisting you kept the box for storage, i think she still has some as old as me around!

Oddly i don't remember shoes taking much to wear them in when i was young, but as an adult they always seem to slide the backs of my heels!
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I forgot to mention the smell of new shoes, leather mixed in with a few other scents.

One shop I used to go to moved in the same town recently.

I'll have to see if one of the other is still in the same place, it used to have shelves up to the ceiling filled with boxes of shoes. My Mum didn't like the fact it didn't accept credit cards into the 1990s, & had to pay by cash or cheque.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember when shoe shops had their displays,in the window and more often or not the ones you fancied didnt have your size

Comment

Still the case for me! :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              Still the case for me! :cry:
              Oh dear

Comment

Fat feet lol!

Comment

I remember the annual, mid-late August trip to buy a new pair of shoes for school. Yes, I remember the foot measuring machines in some shops--did adults ever use those things or was it just kids? Also, buying segs to put on heels to save wear. I agree about the smell of new shoes--there's nothing quite like the smell when walking into a shoe shop.

Comment

I believe the foot measuring machine, had a lot to do with Clarks. Every shop that I visited when I was being bought shoes, especially in the 1970s, had these machines if they sold Clarks shoes. Does anybody still use these machines?
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                      I believe the foot measuring machine, had a lot to do with Clarks. Every shop that I visited when I was being bought shoes, especially in the 1970s, had these machines if they sold Clarks shoes. Does anybody still use these machines?
                      I think so too

I havent seen those machines in shoe shops

Comment

So only clarks used them measuring mac. Nowhines.

Not been in my local clarks in like 20 yrs so not sure if they use them.i remember well in the eighties using these machines they always felt funny to me always hoped my feet didnt smell bad when getting feet measured.

Originally posted by marc View Post
                        i believe the foot measuring machine, had a lot to do with clarks. Every shop that i visited when i was being bought shoes, especially in the 1970s, had these machines if they sold clarks shoes. Does anybody still use these machines?

Comment

Yeah my parents always got us Clarks shoes so we had that width measuring machine, my (Daffy Duck) feet are a bit wide so the width mattered.

I remember hating getting new shoes for the school term as the hard leather ones would rub on your heels and hurt. My favourite school shoes (once broken in) we my Brogue Royals, complete with Quarter Tip heels to prevent them wearing, which made an awesome sound as you walked and could make sparks when it was dry.

In those days we always had shoes re-soled or re-healed, or would fit those rubber soles and heels so that when those wore we could replace them instead of the shoe wearing. But nowadays most of my shoes fall apart before the soles become an issue. I do have a new pair of Brogues I bought when back in the UK the other year, perhaps I should fit some blakeys on them to make them last longer.

Comment

that was a nightmare with new shoes as the backs of the shoes would cut into the heels of my feet even worse when i wore school socks which where thin.

But the smell of the new shoes was lovely.

Dont remember being allowed to wear brogues to school.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                            yeah my parents always got us clarks shoes so we had that width measuring machine, my (daffy duck) feet are a bit wide so the width mattered.

I remember hating getting new shoes for the school term as the hard leather ones would rub on your heels and hurt. My favourite school shoes (once broken in) we my brogue royals, complete with quarter tip heels to prevent them wearing, which made an awesome sound as you walked and could make sparks when it was dry.

In those days we always had shoes re-soled or re-healed, or would fit those rubber soles and heels so that when those wore we could replace them instead of the shoe wearing. But nowadays most of my shoes fall apart before the soles become an issue. I do have a new pair of brogues i bought when back in the uk the other year, perhaps i should fit some blakeys on them to make them last longer.

Comment

Blakeys Segs !!!!- brilliant - they were a BIG craze back in the day
                              Metal protector for heels and sole......
                              Company STILL going today, since 1902 !!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X