Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuclear War in the 80s - how would history have remembered Samantha Smith?

Default Re: Nuclear War in the 80s - how would history have remembered Samantha Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
    Able Archer, wasn't it.

We are also lucky that Lt. Petrov didn't listen to his computers.
    Yes I've heard that was like "War Games" in real life for the Soviets.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Default Re: Nuclear War in the 80s - how would history have remembered Samantha Smith?

In the book 'The Third World War' by General Sir John Hackett, there is a limited nuclear exchange between Nato and Warsaw Pact. Birmingham and an Eastern Bloc city--can't remember which--are destroyed.

War planners also worked scenarios where nuclear exchanges were limited to a theatre of war, usually Europe, in which significant amounts of nuclear strikes by weapons like cruise missiles, Pershing and SS20 occur but the two, as then, superpowers escape unscathed (in the sense that no detonations occur on US and Russian territory), retaining their strategic arsenals intact to ensure MAD. I don't know if it is true but I read years ago that those war games where limited or theatre nuclear exchanges were envisaged always ended in strategic exchanges.

That Eastern Bloc city may have been Kiev, part of the then Soviet Union but not Russian territory.

In the book 'The Third World War' by General Sir John Hackett, there is a limited nuclear exchange between Nato and Warsaw Pact. Birmingham and an Eastern Bloc city--can't remember which--are destroyed.

I read this book, soon after it was published. There is a nuclear exchange destroying two cities. A cease fire is called afterwards. Both cities are never rebuilt. They are known afterwards has The Cities of Peace.

There is an alternative ending to this book where the Soviets win. The British economy is then restructured an then run very similar to the communist way.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Hi Mark...was the alternate ending where the WP wins included as an appendix? There was a later book by Hackett called 'The Third World War: the Untold Story'.

Staffslad, Hi, I'm not sure. TBH, I'd forgotten about this book until it was mentioned here. I lost the book many years ago. It was left where my father was then working, he had borrowed it. He was taken sick, but never returned. The building has long been demolished.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

I also mislaid my copy decades ago. It made headlines on its publication and I remember various interviews that Hackett gave to promote it.

Can you imagine that I've never heard about Samantha? Thank you so much for sharing this post and making my knowledge bigger.
    To want to, is to be able to.