Favourite Cowboys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Cowboys

Mine would have to be Clint Eastwood-A fist full or dollars,A few Dollars More

Re: Favourite Cowboys

I have so many but a few are:

William Holden in The Wild Bunch
    Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in Ride the High Country
    Randolph Scott in Comanche Station
    Burt Lancaster in Ulzana's Raid
    John Wayne in The Searchers
    John Wayne in The Shootist
    Alan Ladd in Shane
    Gregory Peck in The Gunfighter

Comment

As a kid in the '60s cowboy series ruled the airwaves, just 2 channels bbc and itv and you could always find a western show in the evenings, no daytime tv back then.Family favorites were Wells fargo starring Dale Robertson, Bronco lane starring Ty hardin, of course the lone ranger on Saturday tea times, in the cinema John Wayne wore the crown as king of the western and we all played with toy guns and cap pistols "cowboys and indians"
      A look thru the tv schedules and you'll find old westerns airing today.

Comment

I remember better the TV westerns of the mid60s onward. Bonanza with Lorne Greene, The High Chaparral with Leif Erickson and the lovely Linda Cristal, Branded with Chuck Connors. Even into the 70s there were western series on TV and later repeats.

Comment

My dad's memories of TV in the 1950s & 60s was a western almost every night in TV.

Even when they looked like they would go out of fashion there was a boost after True Grit, Butch Cassidy & The Sunshine Kid along with the Spaghetti Westerns.

Alias Smith & Jones being a good example.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Id choose them 2 along with pale rider the good the bad and the ugly joe kidd.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            mine would have to be clint eastwood-a fist full or dollars,a few dollars more
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              Id choose them 2 along with pale rider the good the bad and the ugly joe kidd.
              Any film with Clint in

Alias Smith & Jones I liked with Pete Duel & Ben Murphy

Comment

The thing I hate about Westerns is the cowboys always win. They should all be shot and the Native Indians win. The cowboys stole the Indian's land so I want to see all the cowboys dead at the end of the movie and the Indians sat around the bonfire celebrating their victory with a lovely BBQ
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Think the turning points were Soldier blue and the spaghetti westerns.
                  Regarding tv back in the '60s remember broadcasts were 4.30 in the afternoon till closedown before midnight and there was a limit on the screening of U.S. imports , so to settle down and watch a cowboy was a fairly big family event.We would watch Laramie and all the others and the one thing they all had in common was a fantastic opening and closing themes and credits. Rawhide, Lone ranger, Bonanza, surprisingly the longest running series Gunsmoke had, in my opinion a rather limp opening intro.

Comment

Does this count as a favourite cowboy?

Comment

Hank!

My parents still have the leather Pouf with a picture of him on that myself and my siblings used to love sitting on as kids.

Comment

Rawhide
                        The Virginian

Comment

The Custer and Hondo TV series, both from 1967.

Comment

Loved westerns as a kid, still do.

Think all my favourites have been mentioned from the comedy-drama of the brilliant Alias Smith and Jones (both series) to the classic Italian movies of the 60's and early 70's. It's funny I'm still on a voyage of discovery of the latter genre and still coming across films I should have seen but never have.

Don't think anyone's mentioned the hilarious F Troop an American comedy about the antics of a US Cavalry outfit.

I grew up with Rawhide, Wagon Train, The High Chapparal (bet no-one else knows how to spell it either) and Custer (anyone collect those Custer cards in chewing gum ?) I actually used to go and play in the woods with my cap gun to shoot Indians I was so obsessed.

Ah what fun.

But the thread topic is actually your favourite cowboys, so I'd have to say either Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid or the brilliant Lee Van Cleef who played Douglas Mortimer in the Clint Eastwood 'man-with-no-name' films.

Comment

Yes pussywillow, i echo your words exactly, F Troop with Forest Tucker,the long running Wagon Train, and you might want to look for a docu' on youtube called PIONEERS OF TELEVISION which not only covered westerns but also other genres, i caught this on PBS and really enjoyed it.Fascinating insight in to the cowboy series thru to the '70s interviews with many of the old stars.

Comment

Working...
                              X