Playground Rumours and Myths.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playground Rumours and Myths.

Does anyone remember any daft rumours or myths from the school playground?

Being in a Catholic primary school I remember one about if you say the Our Father backwards in front of a mirror the devil will appear. At the time I hadn't though that this has quite a lot of variables. Would it mean like this:

Rou Rehtaf ohw tra ni neveah. Or:

Amen evil from us deliver but. Or:

Nema live morf su reviled tub.

There was one about if you ate your apple seeds a tree would grow in your belly and if you ate your bubble gum it sticks to your insides or takes 5 years to digest.

Oh yeah, almost forgot this one: People putting razor blades on the swimming pool's flume.

Re: Playground Rumours and Myths.

Spies reporting back to our parents. We were always told by our parents, and grandparents, that they had spies watching us while we were in the school yard.
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Washing down aspirins with coke will do odd things to you.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
        Does anyone remember any daft rumours or myths from the school playground?

There was one about if you ate your apple seeds a tree would grow in your belly
        Probably made up to prevent kids eating them because apple seeds do contain an enzyme which contains cyanide and sugar, once in the human body the sugar is dissolved leaving the cyanide. But you'd need to eat a whole heap of them at once to do any damage.

There were some odd ones at our school. One was that a house down the road was lived in by a which, she had one of those chumney things that moved with the wind, people said it was her periscope.
        Another that the graveyard in the church near the school was haunted by the lady in the oldest grave in there, next to a spot in the woods called "Devil's elbow". Man I used to love hanging out in graveyards as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          Washing down aspirins with coke will do odd things to you.

I think that was supposed to make your stomach explode.

Another was if you stuff alca seltzers into bread and then feed it to pigeons the pigeons would explode.

Comment

I think that was supposed to make your stomach explode.

Another was if you stuff alca seltzers into bread and then feed it to pigeons the pigeons would explode.
            Mixing popping candy like Space Dust with fizzy drinks was supposed to make your stomach explode.

Comment

There was a rumour that our elementary school, and most of the neighbourhood for that matter, was sitting on the site of an ancient burial ground.

Comment

I remember the one about apple pips plus don't swallow chewing gum as it would get stuck in your appendix.

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                  Spies reporting back to our parents. We were always told by our parents, and grandparents, that they had spies watching us while we were in the school yard.
                  A few months after the Dunblane Massacre my primary school installed external CCTV cameras which overlooked the playground. A rumour then circulated that the cameras were monitored by the police and they, not the head teacher, would inform parents if their kids misbehaved or got into fights and provide CCTV footage as proof and evidence. It was a remarkably effective deterrent.

Another rumour emerged shortly after the computers were networked that the LEA / police / MI5 could access the fileserver remotely and look at kid's work. If any kids produced anything that was insulting or offensive then they would make a copy of it for their records and parents, secondary schools, or even employers could be informed about it.

Comment

Don't pick up sweets - even those still wrapped - as they might be poisoned!
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                      Don't pick up sweets - even those still wrapped - as they might be poisoned!
                      Wasn't there a scare with some putting rat poison in Mars Bars in the 1980s?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        Wasn't there a scare with some putting rat poison in Mars Bars in the 1980s?
                        That's the first time I have heard of rat poison in Mars bars but was it anything to do with this:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...nery-poisoning

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                          That's the first time I have heard of rat poison in Mars bars but was it anything to do with this:

Thanks for finding that, it sounds right & the timing fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

I remember that. My mum would always take the health scares seriously. I can remember her avoiding Mars bars and then eggs when Edwina said they would give us all salmonella. Now she doesn't eat beef because of possible CJD.

I rarely eat beef now because my dad used to work as a care worker and he worked with a guy who died from CJD. He said that watching the guy's rapid deterioration was the worst thing he's ever witnessed.

Comment

I remember that. My mum would always take the health scares seriously. I can remember her avoiding Mars bars and then eggs when Edwina said they would give us all salmonella. Now she doesn't eat beef because of possible CJD.

I rarely eat beef now because my dad used to work as a care worker and he worked with a guy who died from CJD. He said that watching the guy's rapid deterioration was the worst thing he's ever witnessed.
                              I remember my school stopped serving cooked Scotch Eggs during the salmonella scare, & my Mum stopped buying potted beef & corn beef when BSE was in the news.

Comment

Working...
                              X