School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: School dinners

Overall I quite liked the school dinners. There seemed to be a lot of mince and scoops of mashed potato IIRC.

Favourite things included sausages, chicken casserole, all the lovely sponge puddings and harder puddings like bakewell tart, milkshake and biscuits.

My major dislikes were the custard (had no taste), lemon merangue pie, curry, semolina and fish in cheese sauce. I often had fresh fish at home but this fish was not fresh. It was horrible and I remember feeling sick after eating it. Nasty.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Funny! I love custard probably because it wasn't served at our school, or if it was it was a very rare occurrence.

Comment

It is odd but at my 2nd Secondary we had (or it seems) on reflection some good Dinners for School, Chips and Sausage etc or more healthy food if you wanted, some lovley Angel Delight type thing's too. I can not recall much about my first Secondary's Meal's - par loads of the other kids who thought they could run rings round the Teachers etc would put Crisp Packets in the Water Jugs that they placed on every table.

That is my main memory of Meals there, but I think from what i'd imagine (or am trying to) they were avergely ok-ish in general really, and quite a decent choice etc to pick from.

Comment

I remember when I was about six having fish for a school dinner, it still had the bones in it and I got one stuck in my throat .

I think school dinners improved later on years, during the early 80's I quite enjoyed them if I recall correctly.

Comment

yes at my schools there was always a lot of variety to choose from.

as far as i remember the potatoes we had was smash.
            nyone remember it.

there was also beans cabbage etc.[
            some things where not so good but in gerneral school dinners where of a good quality.

of course the quality of the food depended a bit on how well cooked the food was.

potatoes and beans was always a favouite of mine.

id say my secondary school had the worst tasting food of my 3 schools.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            UOTE=80sChav;163890]It is odd but at my 2nd Secondary we had (or it seems) on reflection some good Dinners for School, Chips and Sausage etc or more healthy food if you wanted, some lovley Angel Delight type thing's too. I can not recall much about my first Secondary's Meal's - par loads of the other kids who thought they could run rings round the Teachers etc would put Crisp Packets in the Water Jugs that they placed on every table.

That is my main memory of Meals there, but I think from what i'd imagine (or am trying to) they were avergely ok-ish in general really, and quite a decent choice etc to pick from.[/QUOTE]
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

School dinners at my high school were awesome. It was like a cafe - you queued up with a tray and ordered your food. My mainstay was either sausage and chips or fish fingers and chips, with steamed pudding and custard dessert. Miles better value than down the local chippy and much tastier too. It was brilliant when we were 5th years (final year) cos we got early entry into the dining room. We felt like gods cos we ate in relative silence before all the rabble were allowed in.

Happy days.

Cheers,
              Finnthedude.

Comment

well my last school had great food.
                they even had a top ched woking there which im sure is a big reason for such great food we had.

everything dinners deserts,where all superb
                went for seconds many a tme both dinners and deserts.

Originally posted by Finnthedude View Post
                School dinners at my high school were awesome. It was like a cafe - you queued up with a tray and ordered your food. My mainstay was either sausage and chips or fish fingers and chips, with steamed pudding and custard dessert. Miles better value than down the local chippy and much tastier too. It was brilliant when we were 5th years (final year) cos we got early entry into the dining room. We felt like gods cos we ate in relative silence before all the rabble were allowed in.

Happy days.

Cheers,
                Finnthedude.

Comment

Never had them in primary school, but in the 80's I remember they brought in a 3 colour food code thing, red orange and green. You could only have 1 red thing that was unhealthy, however many orange things it was, and unlimited green things. Not sure if all schools did it or not : )

Comment

I remember in 1986 getting a leaflet from school with the red orange & green colour coding.

It spent a time on our notice board but was chucked out years ago.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My school dinners were tasty in the 80's. Can't quite remember what the main meals were (except that they were generous with their portions). The pudding which always sticks in my mind is Manchester tart. When I used to ask people if they knew what it was, they looked at me as if I lost the plot! Imagine my delight when I visited Bridlington a few years ago and popped into a local bakery there it was.........A delight of thin shortcrust pasty (I think) topped with strawberry jam, custard, thick whipped cream, shaved chocolate pieces and on the bottom a banana. Oh I need to visit Bridlington again and the local curd cheese tarts weren't bad either!

Comment

good for you mate you had great school dinners.
                        mine where not that bad we got potatoes,chips and beans on all one plate.
                        that was my primary school fave.

im near sure my aunt was a dinner lady there i got a tad extra.hehe.

what was it mate the name of this mystery delight.
                        i want one get it for me please.

we had a top chef doing our dinners in my last school.
                        absolutely divine the dinners where.

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                        My school dinners were tasty in the 80's. Can't quite remember what the main meals were (except that they were generous with their portions). The pudding which always sticks in my mind is Manchester tart. When I used to ask people if they knew what it was, they looked at me as if I lost the plot! Imagine my delight when I visited Bridlington a few years ago and popped into a local bakery there it was.........A delight of thin shortcrust pasty (I think) topped with strawberry jam, custard, thick whipped cream, shaved chocolate pieces and on the bottom a banana. Oh I need to visit Bridlington again and the local curd cheese tarts weren't bad either!
                        Last edited by darren; 31-10-2012, 20:20.

Comment

There's much talk of Manchester tart and mint custard in this thread, two things we never had at school. Must say they sound nice.

Having serving trays sounds interesting. We had plates (plastic in various pastel shades) and multicoloured transparent plastic beakers that were always stacked next to a big jug of water on each table. Looking for floaty bits in the water before we started was always a big deal.

We had spoon wars as some were new and shiny but others were ancient gold coloured things full of scratches and nobody ever wanted them. If you has a shiny one common practice was to breathe on it so nobody else would nick it!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Darren the "mystery" delight is Manchester Tart find it in all good bakery's in Bridlington, and Southport and most probably Manchester. Beach Life (aka Teresa). I could just eat one know! I have such a sweet tooth!

Comment

sounds great mate.

our dinners where geat inmy last school.
                              some great stuff well when u have a top chef working at your school you expect good stuff.

the custard was great as was the apple tarts.

Originally posted by Beach Life View Post
                              Darren the "mystery" delight is Manchester Tart find it in all good bakery's in Bridlington, and Southport and most probably Manchester. Beach Life (aka Teresa). I could just eat one know! I have such a sweet tooth!

Comment

i work in a school and dinners today aren't a patch on yesteryear's lunches.......food is brought in by lorries, much of it already prepared.......our cook i have to say is brill, she does her utmost to enhance a dish if it looks like its going to be quite bland........although good nutrition is essential i do think school dinners will never be as good as they once were

Comment

Working...
                                X