Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Console and Computers. Any Collectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Console and Computers. Any Collectors?

Originally posted by darren View Post
    Na never liked handhelds myself

for one thing screen was too small found it hard to see.

I've never really understood people's attraction to Nintendo's old hand helds. I thought the Gameboy was terrible, monochrome screen that you have to sit under a light to see, then they brought out the Gameboy Advance which although in colour it had no back light. I have a Gameboy Advance SP which is the one that's like a DS in its shape but with the SP they finally added a much needed back light.

I remember when you could find LCD handheld games in shops for a couple of quid and that's really all they were worth. Nintendo's Game n Watch games were just slightly larger versions of those cheap-arsed LCD handhelds but because it has a Nintendo badge on it it's £30. Round about the time a mate of mine got a Donkey Kong Game n Watch I got a Grandstand BMX Flyer which cost about the same as the game n watch but my game had colour, a better screen, better sound, I could play it in the dark and I had a power pack for it so we wouldn't have to worry about batteries. LCD game batteries did last ages though. All LCD games, even Nintendo ones got really boring really quickly, but we had a good collection of Grandstand and Tomy LSI games. As well as BMX Flyer we had Firefox, Amidar, and Kingman. Those handhelds used to keep me and my sisters entertained for hours.

Nintendo always seemed to be quite ridiculous in their prices. When I had my Master System the games ranged from between £10 to £30. Fantasy Zone was a great arcade game and an awesome conversion came out on the Master System for only £10. In 1988 you'd have to pay £40 for a decent NES game. In the late 80s I thought that £40 for the original Zelda seemed nuts and eventually getting to play it I thought it was overrated to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post

I've never seen a Commodore 128 in the flesh, is that the one that sort of looks like a smaller Amiga? When the shops were all stocking 8 bit tapes like C64, Speckie and 464 I don't remember seeing any tape games for the 128.
      Yeah it was flatter than a bread bin C64, the C64C copied the design a bit. It was a bit like a smaller Amiga, they also made a C128D which was a desktop version. There weren't that many games for the C128 specifically, I had a couple but mainly used mine as a C64, as you could toggle between 3 modes, C128, C64, CP/M.

Comment

i just didnt like that handhelds neeeded batteries lithium i think.
        I had a gameboy advance at one point but didnt keep it long.

With a lot of consoles i waited till the price went down till i got it.

One reason maybe loz was 40 quid was perhaps cause it was a gold cartridge.

think the snes i bought back when it came out was a ton fifty which considering its amazing games was worth it.

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
        i've never really understood people's attraction to nintendo's old hand helds. I thought the gameboy was terrible, monochrome screen that you have to sit under a light to see, then they brought out the gameboy advance which although in colour it had no back light. I have a gameboy advance sp which is the one that's like a ds in its shape but with the sp they finally added a much needed back light.

I remember when you could find lcd handheld games in shops for a couple of quid and that's really all they were worth. Nintendo's game n watch games were just slightly larger versions of those cheap-arsed lcd handhelds but because it has a nintendo badge on it it's £30. Round about the time a mate of mine got a donkey kong game n watch i got a grandstand bmx flyer which cost about the same as the game n watch but my game had colour, a better screen, better sound, i could play it in the dark and i had a power pack for it so we wouldn't have to worry about batteries. Lcd game batteries did last ages though. All lcd games, even nintendo ones got really boring really quickly, but we had a good collection of grandstand and tomy lsi games. As well as bmx flyer we had firefox, amidar, and kingman. Those handhelds used to keep me and my sisters entertained for hours.

Nintendo always seemed to be quite ridiculous in their prices. When i had my master system the games ranged from between £10 to £30. Fantasy zone was a great arcade game and an awesome conversion came out on the master system for only £10. In 1988 you'd have to pay £40 for a decent nes game. In the late 80s i thought that £40 for the original zelda seemed nuts and eventually getting to play it i thought it was overrated to hell.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          i just didnt like that handhelds neeeded batteries lithium i think.
          I had a gameboy advance at one point but didnt keep it long.

With a lot of consoles i waited till the price went down till i got it.

One reason maybe loz was 40 quid was perhaps cause it was a gold cartridge.

think the snes i bought back when it came out was a ton fifty which considering its amazing games was worth it.
          I bought my PSOne when it was down to £60, & the PS2 had already been around a while.

My PS2 came from a friend who didn't want it anymore & let me have it for £50, but kept the games because a housemate had one.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i had ps1 for a short time but from memory it had disc problems.
            Not really a fan of disc type games even tho ive a gamecube and a wii.

Which have had there problems.

Far rather have consoles with cartridge games and ones with tapes such as the spectrum etc.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
            i bought my psone when it was down to £60, & the ps2 had already been around a while.

My ps2 came from a friend who didn't want it anymore & let me have it for £50, but kept the games because a housemate had one.

Comment

I remember being told the original Playstation had drive problems which had been sorted out by the time of the PSOne.

In the end cartridges cost too much to make compared to discs, at least that was Nintendo's excuse to stop using them after the N64.

I'm surprised you still like tapes considering the potential for load errors, especially from 20/30 year old tapes & decks.

Comment

yeahi had more problems with discs than cassettes.

Disc game consoles ive found to be more unreliable than cassette based ones.

Have a gamecube which has had so many problems playing games.

Oh so that was nintendo's reason for not using cartridges anymore.

i remember being told the original playstation had drive problems which had been sorted out by the time of the psone.

In the end cartridges cost too much to make compared to discs, at least that was nintendo's excuse to stop using them after the n64.

I'm surprised you still like tapes considering the potential for load errors, especially from 20/30 year old tapes & decks.

Comment

A circuit board with chips on in a plastic enclosure is a lot harder to make than an off the shelf disc I guess.

Comment

Out of curiosity I just looked up boxed NESs on Ebay. Some people are wanting over £250 for the Mario 3 pack. The one for £250 is the Challenge Set but mine is the Control Deck which seems to be less expensive. I don't really know what the difference is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I remember being told the original Playstation had drive problems which had been sorted out by the time of the PSOne.

In the end cartridges cost too much to make compared to discs, at least that was Nintendo's excuse to stop using them after the N64.

I think that within the next 10 to 15 years disc based (and maybe even any console) console gaming will be completely dead. The Xbox One and the PS4 are already pretty much obsolete and have been superseded by the PS4 Pro and Xbox 1 S. Consoles that are barely 2 years old being pushed out. The 32 Bits like the PS1 and Saturn had been out for several years but you still had new games coming out for the Mega drive and SNES. Both 16 bits were still being supported up til 1998. That's a 10 year life span for the MD and 8 years for the SNES. With cartridge based systems you could enhance the technology by adding new custom chips to the game's chip board (late in life SNES games like Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 3 are amazing looking even to this day).

Nowadays a console is pretty much obsolete as soon as you get it home and £400 for a new system every couple of years is a lot of money. Within the next decade I think every one will turn to the PC for all their gaming. Modern TVs offer a socket to hook up your PC to and many PCs now have the HDMI output as well. With PCs being so easily upgradeable and the consoles being so short in their lifespans before a more powerful option becomes available I think console gaming is on its last legs. Remember the bad old days when a PC was about a grand and you only had one usable fire button on its joystick? You could get an Amiga or ST for less than half the price and thousands of cheap pirate games were readily available.

Comment

It'll be all cloud based gaming with subscriptions instead of purchases. That seems to be the way everything else is going.

Gone are the days of hunting that elusive record/game/movie, nowadays kids just pay a sub and they have access to everything.

Still it'll make moving out easy for them, my records weigh a tonne, as does all my gaming stuff!

Comment

To be honest i dont/havent had many problems with tapes.
                          The gamecube was very bad when it ca
                          me to discs think my bro had 2 replace his gc twice but not 100 per cent certain but once for certain.

i remember being told the original playstation had drive problems which had been sorted out by the time of the psone.

In the end cartridges cost too much to make compared to discs, at least that was nintendo's excuse to stop using them after the n64.

Comment

I still have a Dragon 32 & NES Nintendo 8 bit & Super Nintendo
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                              I still have a Dragon 32 & NES Nintendo 8 bit & Super Nintendo

Of all my old systems that I have hooked up just now my NES has the smallest game collection. I only have 16 games for it. But they are all good games that I like to play over and over again. That new NES mini is a massive let down. You can fit an entire NES ROMset on one CD but the NES mini only has 30 games built in. A fair amount are the games that are lowest on the list for collectors like me when they buy the cartridges. Built in games like the original Donkey Kong, Mario Bros (the one before Super Mario bros) Galaga and Techmo Bowl are ones that will hardly be played. The Mario games I have for my GBA come with Mario Bros as a bonus but it's a very limited and basic game that when I do play it I never play it for more than a few minutes. I think Nintendo could have done a bit better. It has Konami and Capcom games on it so I don't see why they couldn't have put all 5 Mega Men on it as well as the likes of all three Castlevanias, the two Turtles games and others by those big Japanese game makers. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Konami games on the NES but Konami were always bringing out fantastic games on the NES and SNES. The Mini does have Contra/Probotector on it.

Since it's emulation they could have added a micro SD slot so you could add games or they could have had it wifi ready like the Wii so you could buy additional games. I don't understand the NES owners who have went out and bought the Mini. If you have the original console you would have been better off buying the NES Everdrive, that way you can put your ROMset on to a micro SD card and you'll also be running your games on the original hardware. With stock of the Mini being quite limited I read some stories about fights in American Toys R Us shops where there's no purchase limit so the guy at the front of the queue says "give me 5 Minis" that kills of the remaining stock so next in the queue misses out. You can pretty much guarantee that at this time of year at least 4 of the Minis that greedy scumbag bought ended up on Ebay.

Comment

I don't know if it counts as a collection but I have....

Sinclair ZX81 (possibly world's oldest working example, original klutzed ROM dated March 1981)
                                Sinclair ZX81 (dated 1982)
                                Sinclair Spectrum 48K issue 2
                                Commodore 64
                                Atari 520STFM
                                Mac Color Classic

The older ZX81 and the Speccy are still in regular use, with modern SD card adaptors in place of cassette loading. The C64 was last fired up August 2018 for a fun bank holiday with friends...every single floppy disc still worked. The ST hasn't been run in around 20 years, the Mac a decade.

Comment

Working...
                                X