Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer game magazine scans.

Default Re: Computer game magazine scans.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Looking at those reviews of the old Playstation games I can't help thinking that the system has aged terribly. Sometimes it's like going back to an Atari when you compare it to what we have today. When I fire up my SNES I'm still blown away by the graphics and sound on games like Contra 3, Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Axelay.

The Playstation didn't really have the capabilities to run good 3D polygon type games, games like Tomb Raider and Ridge Racer look really primitive now. When the N64 came along it had some great looking 3D games like Mario 64 and Wave Race. I had hoped to see the big arcade companies bring out their back catalogues for it. When Konami and Capcom brought their arcade games to it they brought out their ancient, early 80s stuff. Circus Charlie gets boring real quick. Loved the Smart Cartridge on the Playstation, the one you would attach to the back of the system. With that I was able to run a NES and Master System emulator on it.

Quote Originally Posted by trip2themoon View Post
    Looking at those reviews of the old Playstation games I can't help thinking that the system has aged terribly. .
    Well it was 20 years ago! The problem is that you're comparing it to now, at the time I remember it being jaw dropping. Playing Formula One I thought there was no way graphics could get more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    Well it was 20 years ago! The problem is that you're comparing it to now, at the time I remember it being jaw dropping. Playing Formula One I thought there was no way graphics could get more realistic.

Age doesn't matter because the 16bits still hold up today. The Playstation looks terrible because it had 3D graphics forced upon it that it wasn't really capable of running. It wasn't until the N64 came along 3D games started to look decent and the N64 still holds up well. The Playstation should have had more arcade conversions, it's Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Strider were wonderful.
    Last edited by trip2themoon; 13-10-2016 at 15:42.

But at the time, it did look amazing. As I said, playing Formula One, I thought it was almost TV like at the time. (But looking back at it now it was far from it).

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post

Looking at this catalogue page and the Super 16 Bit. Get a wee chuckle at the useless stuff for consoles people used to make (and probably still do) that is pretty much useless. I really can't see the advantage of owning the Super 16 Bit. I have 2 CD racks beside my CRT telly and on top of those I have my Mega Drive, my NES and my Game Cube sitting on top of the NES. The consoles are hardly space hogs. It's my PS2 and my PS3 that are the space hogs. My PS3 is the second generation one which although is smaller than the original (that thing is a beast) it's still pretty huge.

I would love a Mega Drive joystick. There was a similar joystick for the Master System but it was quite hard to use because the stick was on the right and the buttons were on the left.

Something I would like to ask anyone who is left handed: I'm right handed but most arcade games had the stick on the left and the buttons on the right. I'm happy to use my weaker hand for control. Does it feel strange for a left handed person to control a game with their strong hand? Some old games would have the stick in the middle and fire buttons on either side so you could control with your best hand. The arcade in Largs had Wonderboy with buttons on either side of the stick. The fire buttons on the right didn't work properly so I used to cross my arms so I could control the game with my left hand. Even though I'm right handed controlling the stick with my right felt weird.