• Show
Clear All

Re: Computer game magazine scans.

Online scans of two of my favourite Computer Game mags are available here:

Zzap!64

Crash!

Comment

Wow i never knew nms which ive put scans up of was actually at one time a different magazine.
      You learn something new everyday.

24 issues isnt much about 2 yrs worth.

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
      yeah, i still have about 20 of the original 24 mean machines magazines and in issue 24 in jazza's editorial he mentions "something wonderful is about to happen" which was lies. Nothing wonderful about a great magazine splitting into 2 inferior magazines. It split into mean machines sega and nintendo magazine system. This was a bit annoying for me because i owned both sega and nintendo systems and nms lost its impartiality by becoming "the uk's only official nintendo magazine". How can you possibly trust a magazine to fairly review a nintendo made game when they are officially endorsed by nintendo.

A couple of years ago i dug out my old mean machines issues to read on my night shift. They were hilarious and contain a lot of wording they would not be allowed to use any more.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Comment

Comment

AUGUST 91

Comment

Remember how in Super Mario 1 if you had fire power and got hit by an enemy you would instantly shrink down to little Mario? In the Japanese Mario 3 the same thing happens when you have any of the suits on or the fire power. The Japanese felt this would make the game too difficult for western gamers so in our Mario 3 you would only lose the power up and still stay big.

That bugged me when I found that out because all the Mario games are easy, they throw extra lifes at you constantly. In Mario 2 it was easy to time the fruit machine so you would get at least one cherry per coin and in Mario 3 it was easy to suss the timing so you'd get a star at the end of every level.

Strangely Sega did the reverse, my Japanese Strider is easier than my European version.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Wow i never knew nms which ive put scans up of was actually at one time a different magazine.
                You learn something new everyday.

24 issues isnt much about 2 yrs worth.

Some of the Mean Machines reviewers like Jaz and Rad ended up writing reviews for both Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System. Terrible name for a Nintendo Mag. They ended up doubling their workload by producing two different magazines. I ended up moving onto Super Play because my SNES was the system I used most and I wanted some impartiality. Super Play's reviewers weren't very good though. I wasted £45 on Bart's Nightmare because Super Play rated it 92%. I recon Mean Machines would have given it about 78%. The Mean Machines reviewers ware rarely wrong about a game. A week later I took Bart's Nightmare to one of the game exchange shops in Glasgow that would swap you a game for a £5 fee. Here's a link to an NMS review written by Jaz. Mean Machines had reviewed the Japanese version whilst they were still Mean Machines:

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/zelda3snesnms.pdf

Comment

what a great review of what i still believe is the best in the loz series.
                  Pretty sure i had that very mag that did the review in your link.

And yes i still have lttp for the snes.

I never go by reviewers on when getting a game.
                  Some reviewers are over critical i think.

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                  some of the mean machines reviewers like jaz and rad ended up writing reviews for both mean machines sega and nintendo magazine system. Terrible name for a nintendo mag. They ended up doubling their workload by producing two different magazines. I ended up moving onto super play because my snes was the system i used most and i wanted some impartiality. Super play's reviewers weren't very good though. I wasted £45 on bart's nightmare because super play rated it 92%. I recon mean machines would have given it about 78%. The mean machines reviewers ware rarely wrong about a game. A week later i took bart's nightmare to one of the game exchange shops in glasgow that would swap you a game for a £5 fee. Here's a link to an nms review written by jaz. Mean machines had reviewed the japanese version whilst they were still mean machines:

http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/pdf/zelda3snesnms.pdf

Comment

Last edited by darren; 06-09-2016, 21:47.

Comment

Comment

GREAT REVIEW.
                        STILL PLAYING IT OVER 20 YRS LATER.

Last edited by darren; 06-09-2016, 22:04.

Comment

Comment

OCTOBER 96

Comment

OCTOBER 96

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                                what a great review of what i still believe is the best in the loz series.
                                Pretty sure i had that very mag that did the review in your link.

And yes i still have lttp for the snes.

I never go by reviewers on when getting a game.
                                Some reviewers are over critical i think.

It is always a good idea to try before you buy but I honestly expected a 92% rated game to be decent, Bart's Nightmare was a huge disappointment. Took me a month to save for it as well because I was only making £12.50 a week from my paper run. Was enough to satisfy my gaming addiction though, spending a couple of quid every weekend on SF2 in the arcade.

The Super Play reviewers were idiots though. Someone wrote in to point out that they were wrong when they said Mario World has 96 levels when it really has 74. They responded: "No it doesn't it has 96". They can't even admit they are wrong, 2 exits in one level does not equal 2 levels.

I always felt the the original Zelda on the NES was over rated. It was nigh on impossible to get through without a player's guide. Way too much trial and error in finding things like bombable walls and the right bushes to burn. Zelda 3 at least indicated a bombable wall with a crack on it, although not all cracks would bomb open.

If the company from Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind was a real thing I'd ask them to erase my knowledge on Zelda 3 and all the 2D Mario platformers. I'm glad I was around to experience the 16 bit era when it was new and get to experience arcades when they were at their best. Personally I don't think there's much post 16 bit that's worth playing. I really enjoy my arcade classics compilations on the PS2. I've got all the Midway compos, Taito Classics and Capcom Classics Volume 1. Volume 1 has the 3 SF2s on it. The Street Fighter collection on PS1 was a bit **** because of its load times but the PS2 has a decent bit of RAM in it so it can hold more of the game and has better load times.

As much as I love the Mega Drive anyone who says it's better than the SNES is wrong. The SNES was the first to bring true arcade quality to the home. Arcade games like SF2 and Smash TV were fantastic on the SNES. I always felt that the SNES was more of a proper gamers' system than the MD. In high school most of the MD owners had huge collections of EA's boring sports sims and every year EA would bring out the same old sport games (and still do this to this day): A FIFA an NHLPA and an NBA Jam, yawn. For my MD I have the only EA stuff worth having: Road Rash and Robocod. SF2 on the MD was pretty unplayable because of its terrible directional pad.

Comment

Working...
                                X