Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Numbered Diamond Stickers On Radio

Default Re: Numbered Diamond Stickers On Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Twocky61 View Post
    Talking of Radio who remembers the simul-casts where radio & television were run together, so you could watch & hear Top of the Pops simultaneously on a Saturday evening? (if IRC)
    It would have been Thursdays. It was a tie-in with Radio 1 starting broadcasting in FM, & ran for a few years.

I remember me & my brother putting the stereo on & turning the TV's volume down when watching TOTP.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    It would have been Thursdays. It was a tie-in with Radio 1 starting broadcasting in FM, & ran for a few years.

I remember me & my brother putting the stereo on & turning the TV's volume down when watching TOTP.

The good old days pre NICAM stereo TV's

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

The change in the frequencies for LW and MW radio stations was the result of the Geneva Frequency Plan of 1975 which was enacted on 23 November 1978.

The Geneva Frequency Plan was required in order to reduce mutual interference between different LW and MW radio stations which had resulted from an increase in the number of radio stations broadcasting across Europe after the Copenhagen Frequency Plan of 1948 was enacted in 1950. A secondary advantage of the Geneva Frequency Plan is that all LW and MW radio stations in Europe are broadcast on frequencies that are an exact multiple of 9 kHz which simplifies the design of 'digital' phase lock loop tuners.

If you encounter a radio with the names of the stations on the tuning dial that was manufactured between 1950 and 1978 then the frequencies of the stations will be those from the Copenhagen Frequency Plan. Radios manufactured before 1967 do not have Radio 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the tuning dial. Most Japanese radios just had the frequency on the tuning dial and not the names of any radio stations.

The Geneva Frequency Plan did not alter the frequencies of local BBC radio stations or apply to FM radio broadcasts at VHF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Frequency_Plan_of_1975

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tuningguide02.jpg  

Thanks for that, I remember one of my Aunts had a radio with some station names on the dial.

I'll have to see if my Dad still has his old radio around.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Something to take into account is that a much higher proportion of people listened to AM radio back in the 1970s than in more recent times and that radios with FM were semi-luxurious items. Most factory fitted car radios were AM only until the late 1980s.

Old Radio 4 frequencies 1960s to 22/11/1978

908 kHz MW London (Brookmans Park)
    1088 kHz MW Midland (Droitwich)
    692 kHz MW North (Moorside Edge)
    1151 kHz MW North (Stagshaw)
    1052 kHz MW West (Start Point)
    1457 kHz MW West (Clevedon)
    809 kHz MW Scottish (Burghead)
    809 kHz MW Scottish (Westerglen)
    881 kHz MW Welsh (Washford)
    1340 kHz MW Northern Ireland (Lisnagarvey)

New Radio 4 frequencies after 23/11/1978

200 kHz LW National service (Droitwich, Burghead, and Westerglen) 23/11/1978 to 31/01/1988
    227 kHz LW Allocated to Westerglen but never used
    198 kHz LW National service (Droitwich, Burghead, and Westerglen) 01/02/1988 to today
    603 kHz MW Newcastle upon Tyne
    720 kHz MW London, Belfast, Derry
    756 kHz MW Redruth
    774 kHz MW Plymouth, Enniskillen
    1449 kHz MW Aberdeen
    1485 kHz MW Carlisle

Radio 4 replaced the Home Service on 30/09/1967 which was broadcast on MW as it provided regional news and programmes for each group of transmitters. In the 1970s it had become a national radio station so in 1978 swapped with Radio 2 for the LW frequency supplemented with low power MW transmissions in areas where reception of the LW transmission was difficult.

Some cheap imported radios could not receive LW so users lost the facility to receive Radio 4 unless they lived in an area where Radio 4 was available on MW.

LW is not officially used in Northern Ireland as it is difficult to receive from transmitters on the mainland. Radio 4 is broadcast in Northern Ireland on MW.

Wow thatís given me a blast from the past! One mention of diamond stickers and the front of our old radio zoomed into view with its array of diamond number stickers arranged haphazardly across the dial. Iíve not though of that for about 35 years!
    1976 Vintage