Pick 'n' Mix at the Cinema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick 'n' Mix at the Cinema?

The good old days of Woolworth's pick 'n' mix; especially ideal for going to the cinema avoiding the rip-off prices in the cinema foyer

Surprisingly there are still a few little shops selling pick 'n' mix down the road from some cinema's
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Pick 'n' Mix at the Cinema?

About the only place I seem to find Pick N Mix is at Wilko.

Some Poundshops have ready picked P&M but it isn't the same!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      About the only place I seem to find Pick N Mix is at Wilko.

Some Poundshops have ready picked P&M but it isn't the same!
      Morrisons & Tesco have them

Comment

I seem to associate Dolly Mixtures with the cinema, they must have sold them in the foyer.

No pick'n'mix for me, always popcorn. Except for the time when they had no popcorn when I went to see Lord of the Rings in Guildford and I had to resort to PnM, but my Mrs saw me queuing with the biggest bag of sweets ever and yelled "NO!" across the room. So embarassing, but fair enough, would have cost a bomb. Wasn't my fault, i'd get at least two of each, so we could share, then if it was something i really liked I needed a couple of extras etc.
        I did manage to spend 30 quid on a munchie fuelled pick n mix stop on the way to a paintball tournament in birmingham once.

Comment

All I seem to remember at the cinema apart from pop corn in tubs was pre packed sweets like poppets being sold in the foyer or being brought around and sold during the intermission. If I remember right the only drink I got was in those little plastic containers with a straw. I don't have memories of pick and mix being sold in any of our cinemas.But then I have not been to a cinema since the early 80's.

Comment

I remember seeing the usual assortment of chocolate bars, plus ice-creams/lollies and popcorn at the foyer in our local cinema. We rarely bought anything due to the inflated prices. During the intermission a girl would stand by the screen under a little light, holding a tray with a selection of goodies to buy--it never worked with us, apart from a very occasional tub of ice-cream. Oh, and I always associate going to the cinema with Kia-Ora orange in those small plastic containers with a straw. It was the only place I saw it for sale in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              Oh, and I always associate going to the cinema with Kia-Ora orange in those small plastic containers with a straw. It was the only place I saw it for sale in the 70s.

Kia Orange are one of the advertisers who used subliminal advertising in their cinema ads. It amounted to a Kia Orange drink flashing across the cinema screen, so fast it was not noticed during the film but it was picked up subconciously. It was a psychological trick played on us by the advertiser so that when we went to the foyer in the intermission we would clock our eyes on the display of Kia Orange drinks and think we needed one & thus buy one

This underhand advertising tactic has since been banned
              sigpic
              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Glad you remember the little clear plastic tubs of drink. Had a funny tangy taste to it. Our local paper shop used to sell them at 5p a tub or less. Much cheaper then the cinema.
                When you mentioned the other sweets it brought back many more memories of the foyer sweet and snack shop. When I went to see Watership Down at the cinema a few of my mates brought some hard mint imperials and ended up launching them at people watching the film. Those things used to explode if thrown hard enough against solid objects. Must of hurt being pelted with one. Lucky for me they were far to the side of where I was sitting.
                Didn't the Foyer shops also sell tobacco products. I have memories of smoke drifting up in front of me when watching films and cigarette burns in the upholstery of the chairs.

According to my sister Pick and mix seems to be the common thing in some cinemas today. She occasionally takes her kids to see a film on special occasions. But she won't buy any simply due to the high price of a tub of sweets.

Comment

My local cinema when I was young used to sell those boxes of Smarties, Fruit Pastilles etc, you would almost never see in the shops.

Normally we would get an ice cream or a lolly during the interval.

The seats had ashtrays on the arms like you used to get on planes.

Comment

Albatross! Albatross!
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

i cant think of it but id be certain our local woolies did them.

Such a great pic.

We have a sweet shop called mackles which im sure does them.
                      Shop has been there since before i was born.

Originally posted by twocky61 View Post

the good old days of woolworth's pick 'n' mix; especially ideal for going to the cinema avoiding the rip-off prices in the cinema foyer

surprisingly there are still a few little shops selling pick 'n' mix down the road from some cinema's
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember there was a shop in Melton Mowbray that just sold just Pick & Mix, even though there was a Woolworths a few minutes away.

Unsurprisingly it didn't last too long, about 4 years.

Comment

I loved um bongo the fruit drink with the dodgy advert
                          i liked the Herbert space ship sweets and the exploding space rocks.

Comment

My Local Cinema's used to have as does 1 in a large Shopping Centre near where I live!

At one point (until say 1998) at my Local Cinema - if you took your own Food in you'd be evicted from watching the Film - but thankfully they dropped the policy, as they knew that them "cornering the market" at inflated prices was doing them less favour's!

80sChav

Comment

I heard Woolworths are making a comeback, has anyone heard the same? God how I miss those pick n mixes, I would fill a large cup well over the brim and have to cradle it to the checkout. They were never particularly impressed behind the counter!

Comment

Working...
                              X