Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember 'CAMPAIGN' (80's BBC advertising drama)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember 'CAMPAIGN' (80's BBC advertising drama)

Recently found an episode of this on an old VHS tape and wondered if anyone else remembered it (or, even better, has any episodes).

Late 80s advertising agency drama full of yuppiness (red Porsches, shoulder pads, brick mobile phones) but a good cast (including Penny Downie, John Fortune, Jeremy Clyde and (fresh from Brush Strokes) Gary Waldhorn.

Anyone remember (or have any episodes)?

Re: Anyone remember 'CAMPAIGN' (80's BBC advertising drama)

yes yes and yes!
    i remember seeing it on BBC back in 1988.
    and the uk gold showings in the '90s - which i shoulda recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by agfagaevart View Post
      yes yes and yes!
      i remember seeing it on BBC back in 1988.
      and the uk gold showings in the '90s - which i shoulda recorded.

Great to hear that someone else not only remembers it but enjoyed it too!

The episode I have is 4 (of, I assume, 6). It obviously didn't have the budget (the office sets are a bit wobbly and hollow-sounding) of 'Capital City' but is a nice snapshot of the yuppie 80s.

Agfagaevart, can you remember how it ends? If I remember rightly the government (who the agency are working for) wins the election but the new break-away agency doesn't get off the ground because Stephen (the flashiest, most yuppie character) has used leaked info/insider traded, and a lot of the personal relationships break up because of the stress of the campaign

It was one of those shows (bit like Howard's Way) where you can't quite believe the cliché high-flying business dialogue is being delivered with straight faces.

At least I know now that at least one other person remembers it fondly!

Comment

I don't remember the ending. But I do recall the ad agency using a picture of a nurse as an iconic figure for the campaign in the title. But, when the lady boss of the agency (Penny Downie) found her broke and demoralised living in a bedsit, it made her think twice about going ahead with the promotion, and her own priviledged but unfulfilled life.

All I could find on the net:

Comment

Working...
        X