Another World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another World

Women donkey stoning their front doorsteps, rented black and white TV's with three channels, playing football/cricket in the middle of the road without fear of being knocked down by a car. mainly because most people didn't own one, and no one ever ever replaced an item of furniture or appliance unless it was literally falling apart, and then the replacement itself would most likely be second hand. nothing was throwaway mainly because everyone was **** poor at least in the area we lived in, strange thing is no one ever seemed to grumble about their lot in life and everyone worked hard for what they had. it seems almost like another world when I think back to how things were, even the nearest telephone was the box several streets away. and food shopping was done on a day to day basis using whatever ingredients were available at the corner shop, and I must say that there was an enormous amount of produce in an area the size of the average living room. but this was the early 70's so no frozen food or exotic dishes on offer and anything foreign was treated with great suspicion and if we ever did try something as exotic as curry it almost certainly came from a box marked Vesta. it would probably seem like a vision from hell to today's kids so dependent on their designer labels and technology, but the 70's was a great time to be a kid and I do sometimes feel a little bit cheated that the world that I knew had disappeared by the time I reached adulthood, and been replaced with one fuelled by greed and convenience.

Re: Another World

Exactly today it is a throw away society,from furniture to gagets if something is not in fashion then out it goes,I much prefer to keep things until they are broken your not wasting money that way.Just before xmas when the new models of Iphones,Ipads gaming machines etc come out just for the gulloble must haves to have one up one ship on their friends look what I have got bunch of sad acts

Comment

Back then there was a fear associated with being in debt and also a stigma to it. Consequently, most people saved up to buy large items such as TVs, furniture etc, rather than going into debt for them. Today, the fear of debt has been blunted, leading to more people racking up large debts, often to buy frivolous things like the latest phone, designer trainers, clothes, exotic holidays and such like. I, too, only buy something when it is needed, never simply because there is a newer model. The old attitude of if you can't afford it then don't buy it seems to be sneered at today.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
        Back then there was a fear associated with being in debt and also a stigma to it. Consequently, most people saved up to buy large items such as TVs, furniture etc, rather than going into debt for them. Today, the fear of debt has been blunted, leading to more people racking up large debts, often to buy frivolous things like the latest phone, designer trainers, clothes, exotic holidays and such like. I, too, only buy something when it is needed, never simply because there is a newer model. The old attitude of if you can't afford it then don't buy it seems to be sneered at today.
        Its the must have society would go into debt big time

Comment

When I started secondary school in 1973, one morning per week there was a bank inside the school where you could go and open a bank account and save money. It was sponsored by TSB, so you actually had a proper TSB bank account with a paying-in book. It was run by a couple of trusted prefects, but you could also go to a branch of TSB and conduct business there as well. I used to save maybe 10p per week and more when I started a paper round. Yes, small sums by today's standards, but it got me into the habit of saving, rather than just spending everything I was given, a habit that I think should be encouraged for today's children. On the inside cover of the paying-in book was a quote from The Pickwick Papers(from Mr Micawber): "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." Very wise words. I have no idea if this scheme was widespread at the time but surely anything that encourages saving rather than mindless spending should be applauded.

Something else that has changed from the 70s is the culture of compensation. Back then if you slipped over you would get up and continue on your way or seek medical treatment if you were injured enough. Today, many people's first thought is can I get money for this? Encouraged by endless media adverts for no win-no fee compensation firms, this has in my opinion led to a climate where no-one will take any risk due to fear of litigation. Years ago I would clear the walking gap between the houses near us of snow every winter, but I wouldn't do it now, and I am sure this is replicated millions of times in many different ways up and down the country to the detriment of society.

Comment

Suing and PPI compensations

Comment

Working...
            X