Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was this 1970s British childrens tv show set in Greece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was this 1970s British childrens tv show set in Greece?

Okay this is going to be vague I know! But in the 1980s I was in school in the UK. Back then when you got home from school, most kids "chilled out" for an hour or so watching afternoon TV. (The internet was far in the future remember!) Often you might not have cared much about what was on. it was just something you did.

There was this series that was shown in about 1986 or 1987. But it was definitely a re-run, probably originally made in the mid or late 1970s. I can't remember much at all about what it was about, but it was set in Greece, likely the Greek islands, and the characters were British. It was definitely a kids show though. The main characters were kids. That's all I can remember. Sorry!

I don't remember being that enthralled with it at the time, as I said watching TV was just a chilling out process. But as you get older nostalgia often sets in, and you try to remember things you did or saw a kid.

Re: What was this 1970s British childrens tv show set in Greece?

The adventures of Kythera ?
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
      The adventures of Kythera ?
      Close, but the chronology doesn't fit as historians might say I definitely saw it on TV in the late 80s, and Kythera premiered in 1991. I remember because I lived in that particular house from 1986-1988. I used to walk home from school and watch TV for an hour or so, and that's when saw it.

I might say however that it's possible that it may have been early 80s, but I'm pretty sure it was made in the mid to late 70s. There's just something about film quality, hairstyles, car styles and production that is distinctive of certain time periods, and this show certainly had a 70s look.

Comment

Possibly this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aphrodite_Inheritance

Comment

The lost islands, could be it.

Comment

I remember 'The Lost Islands'. It was made in 1976 and was an Australian production. It was shown in the UK around late 70s and may have been repeated, but it wasn't set in the Greek islands, rather, it was 5 children getting shipwrecked on a Pacific island where descendants of a previous shipwreck live under a tyrannical ruler. The children were from all over the world, including a Chinese girl.

Comment

"this series that was shown in about 1986 or 1987."

My Family and Other Animals was about the childhood adventures of naturalist Gerald Durrell, on the Greek island of Corfu and was shown in 1987.

Comment

Appreciate the replies but frankly none of those seem to fit what I remember. I might say that I can't be certain it was Greece, but definitely Mediterranean. That is blue oceans, sunshine, rocky coastlines. (If it was set in the South Pacific there would be sandy beaches.) So I'd say that-

100% certain it was a series, or mini series, Not a movie
                99% certain it was Mediterranean, very probably Greece.
                98% certain it was a kids show. No adult themes, and certainly no nudity!
                97% certain it was made in the mid to late 1970s

I'll scout around on th internet some more. Aw heck always like a good mytery anyway!

Comment

A friend asks what was the name of an animated history programme for kids shown in the mornings back in the late 1980s about the Greeks and Romans. He thinks there were also episodes about medieval Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    A friend asks what was the name of an animated history programme for kids shown in the mornings back in the late 1980s about the Greeks and Romans. He thinks there were also episodes about medieval Europe.
                    Sounds like Once Upon A Time...Man.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      Sounds like Once Upon A Time...Man.
                      Yes, it was.

There are episodes on YouTube. Strangely, I have never watched it until now and nobody from my home education circles has ever mentioned it. It appears to present history from a French perspective covering certain events connected with France or of interest to French people whilst not going into depth with certain topics relating to Britain that are usually covered in detail by most British historians.

I have wondered how different school history courses in foreign countries are from those in British schools or countries where history (I)GCSE exams are popular.

Comment

I only watched them at the holidays, I remember one covered Sir Francis Drake quite well.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                        X