Your childhood home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your childhood home

I lived here until I was 7, dark blue door on the right of number 58.

Albany St, London, Greater London, NW1, UK - Google Maps

It was beautiful. There was a council estate behind it that was actually pretty nice, and an old Victorian square at the end of the street with a playground in it. Swivel the Street View left and that's my primary school at the end of the road.

Then my dad fell ill, and we had to move to a one level flat.

Agar Grove, London, Greater London, NW1, UK - Google Maps

I was in that ground floor flat in the center until I was 16. Talk about moving up in the world. You can't throw a stick on that estate now without hitting someone in a shellsuit.
    Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I moved a few times,but there is one house,if I had the money I would buy.Loved this place,it was a bungalow,flat roofed,or used to be.An old school teacher of mine lives there now,I think,but I didn't like her,so im not about to go ask,but I would love to see round it.Don't think it will have the 70's marble fire surround and plinth any more,I used to dance on it!!!Yup,very safe,dancing on marble in my socks!

tulip

Comment

I'm loving everyones stories.

I was bought up in Aldershot. The sign on entering the town proudly proclaims it be the "Home of The British Army" The majority of the Army moved to Colchester YEARS ago and the town is now mainly comprised of closed down shops. At one point the boarding on the closed down shops was painted with PICTURES trying to look like shops! Most people from Aldershot are a bit daft - and I include myself among them!! - and they probably stand beside the boardings waiting for the painted on shops to open!! LOL!! I go and look at the old house whenever I go to visit family, it's still much the same - still has the porch Dad and Grandad built and the driveway that I busted my backside helping to gravel!!

I moved away from Aldershot at 19 and headed for the bright lights of London - Old Kent Road to be exact (the bright lights turned out to be mainly blue and flashing (accompanied by wailing sirens) with the occasional warm glow of a burnt-out car or two!!) London wore me down after a fair few years so I upped sticks and hoofed it to the green and pleasant land which is Kent - The Garden Of England!! It was a bit of a culture shock at first - too quiet, but I'm still here after 4 years and very happily married, so I guess I'm sticking around!
        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
          I'm loving everyones stories.

I was bought up in Aldershot. The sign on entering the town proudly proclaims it be the "Home of The British Army" The majority of the Army moved to Colchester YEARS ago..................
          Just down the road from Frimley! ...where I lived from 1967 to 1983. I worked in a school on one of the army camps during 1995/96. I liked Aldershot. I appreciated its history and its rawness, in comparison to some of the other towns in North Hants and North West Surrey.

Comment

I can't really remember the first house I lived in because I was only 18 months old when we moved out.

It's in Heaton Mersey, & every now & again my parents have driven past it to see how it's changed over the year. Not much did for years, but in the last few years a new porch & bay window was added.

My parents were the first people in it, & was a typical 1970s 3 bed starter home, a bit like Bob's in What Ever Happened To The Likely Lads.

We then all moved to Marple a few miles away. Originally it was a 4 bed house also very 1970s, but over the years we extended the back & replaced the large front window & white PVC slatting with a bay window & tiles.

I had been planning to move out for several years, & finally managed to find a place for myself late last year.

My parents still live there & have no plans to leave.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

c'mon folks get google-earthing...find your childhood home (if its still there)
              and simply right click to 'save as' then upload it here (i use Photobucket..dead easy!)
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

A 3 bed, link detached semi in Middlesbrough.

Not wholly dissimilar to Bob Ferris' very own slice of suburban utopia (almost the same except our front door/garage were on the left of the house and not the right) in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.
                Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Originally posted by glam_racket View Post

Not wholly dissimilar to Bob Ferris' very own slice of suburban utopia (almost the same except our front door/garage were on the left of the house and not the right) in Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.
                  If you've not read my posting I also thought of Bob's house when I've seen pictures of my parents first house. I was only 18 months old when we moved out so can't remember it first hand.

A lot of 1970s starter homes seemed to be built from a limited number of designs it seems.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think the Barratt's have a lot to answer to.
                    Paper thin walls. Built on wonky shale foundations.
                    Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Originally posted by glam_racket View Post

ditto except mine was Acklam
                      To have an idea is ideal, to have an ideal is idiocy

Comment

Marton (Dene Park: to give the estate its proper Sunday name) meets Acklam!

Comment

We could start a whole new forum on things like Centrefolds, Blaises and the like lol
                          To have an idea is ideal, to have an ideal is idiocy

Comment

I lived in nine houses from when I was born to being 16. That goes to demonstrate what an unstable childhood I had. Funnily enough I 'hovered' over them on Google Earth about six months ago and they are all still there.
                            Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Been back to the house I grew up in but never went in. Was not happy as the new owners had cut the down the big trees in the garden which where as tall as the house plus the tore down the side gate I had helped built. One point we had no wall paper on our bedroom wall so my brother and me got hold of some permanent markers and wrote all over them and a nice big chad saying "Wot no wallpaer?" Be interesting to know if it`s still on the wall lol

Comment

Home

What sort of house and street did you grow up in. for me it was the end house of a Victorian terrace with not a tree or blade of grass to be seen but i cant imagine growing up anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X