Your childhood home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home

I grew up in a two bedroomed house with 3 other brothers.
    it was a terraced house.
    the house is the middle house in the row.

at the top of the street there is a swimming pool.
    just quarter of a mile away i had what seemed like acres and and acres of fields for miles around.
    most of is still there.
    Last edited by darren; 25-07-2011, 00:22.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: Home

Grew up in a 2 bed semi-detached house. There was me, my parents and my sister. We had a front and back garden. Progressed to a 3 bed semi-detached house with gardens and a garage as my parents climbed the property ladder! There were loads of fields and greenery within a few minutes walking distance. It was a nice area and I had some great mates.
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Re: Your childhood home

I lived in a 3bed Victorian terraced house with my parents and 3 brothers. It was right beside a huge park and back then kids could play in it all day without their parents worrying... It was close to my primary school and all my friends lived nearby so memories of school holidays are very pleasant. The house had a massive attic which was great for playing in on rainy days (i even found the secret-christmas-present-stashing-place up there). The house was sold to friends of my parents so I did go back a few times after we moved but thats 25+ years ago now.
        Because in a split second, it's gone
        Ayrton Senna WDC 1988,1990 & 1991 sigpic

Comment

I grew up Harlow, one of the infamous new towns that were built to house the overspill from London after the war. We moved once within the town, when I was 5 in '69, to a new house in a new area in the town and it was great place to grow up. Lots of fields and places to go with loads of mates and the local school on your doorstep. I moved away from Harlow in '92 and we had to sell the house after my parents passed away in 2004. I still have friends in the town and I think we'll eventually move back closer to there. I don't know who lives in my old house now but it looks (as the whole town does) a little shabbier than it did then (or at least it does to my adult eyes). I'm not sure if I really want to look inside but I guess I wouldn't be able to resist if I had the chance. My whole childhood is wrapped up in that house.

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
            As someone who was born behind Kings Cross railway station in a flat .
            Stanley Buildings?
            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

In the early '80s, I lived in a new medium-sized 3 bedroom bungalow in the suburbs of the Medway Towns. I still go back to the area every now-and-then. A few years ago, the new owners of my old house converted it into a much larger two-storey house, extending it out the side my old bedroom was on, and upwards. Up to that point, I'd always wanted to go back into the house to see what it looked like inside compared to how it looked when I lived there. Now I have no desire to do that. It would completely ruin my memories.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                In the early '80s, I lived in a new medium-sized 3 bedroom bungalow in the suburbs of the Medway Towns. I still go back to the area every now-and-then. A few years ago, the new owners of my old house converted it into a much larger two-storey house, extending it out the side my old bedroom was on, and upwards. Up to that point, I'd always wanted to go back into the house to see what it looked like inside compared to how it looked when I lived there. Now I have no desire to do that. It would completely ruin my memories.
                it seems now its been converted its really not the house you grew up in mate.

i really feel if you where to see it now it would ruin memories u had of living there as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  it seems now its been converted its really not the house you grew up in mate.

i really feel if you where to see it now it would ruin memories u had of living there as a kid.
                  Darren you are just repeating what Austin Maxi has already said about not wanting to go back to his old house!
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

My parents still live in the flat I grew up in and it hasn't changed much. They are 1930's built, in a block of four flats (two upstairs, two downstairs), with gardens at the front and back.

At the time of building they must have been very modern in design and are quite spacious for flats, with a very large living room and two big double bedrooms. Unfortunately they fall down, space-wise in other areas. The kitchens are tiny - so small that my parents keep the washing machine and dryer outside in the coal house (now not needed for coal!) and the bathrooms are also small. Conversely there is a huge square passage way that is like another room but is really dead space.

All of the doors swing open as the flats a couple of blocks up the street got bombed in the war and all the frames in my parent's flat are wonky as a result! All of the flats in the street are also very slightly different in design. The estate was only half-built when war broke out and got abandoned then they used what they could to finish it off when the war was over.
                    Last edited by Trickyvee; 23-08-2011, 06:45.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I have vague memories of a place I lived in until I was four. It was the ground floor of a big Victorian house converted into flats, in the suburbs of London. The house was pulled down shortly after we moved out (in the late 1960s) and a block of flats built in its place.

When I was eleven my dad and I went to see the new flats and take a walk around the area. A few years later the whole family went up there for a Sunday afternoon's outing, and over the next few years I made a few trips up there on my own, so these visits have become memories in their own right. So I'm now sentimental about a place I never lived in, just because it occupies the site of the place I did live in.

The place we moved to (a block of flats in another part of London) was my home for the rest of my childhood and most of my teenage years, after which we moved away. Unlike a lot of the other contributors to this thread, I would like to see inside that flat and see what it looks like now. But that's not going to happen.

Especially since I read recently that the area is due to be redeveloped, and the place will probably be pulled down. Lucky I now live over a hundred miles away, so I won't have to see this destructive act.
                      The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Sort of still live at home, hubby 6 doors away, (he has sorted his place , lecky, plumbing etc.) I am still trying to bring my place into the 21st century! Has to be done sympathetically though, I dont like, and can't accept change very easily!

Comment

Live next door to my childhood home,long story.Buts it's now owned by a private firm that can't be bothered.So many previous tenants just wrecked the place,changed this knocked that through.Now its all borded up deralict with smashed windows etc.Such a pity,was such a great house.Dispite living next door,there is really not a lot that can be done about it apart from calling out health officials due to rats appearing around the overspilling bins and overgrown dump of a garden.Yep it's become the fly tip site of the estate because nobody lives there,and nobody keeps a check on it.I can remember dads garden well dug and trimmed brimming with veggies.

Comment

Just moved back to the estate I grew up on 1977-1987.
                            Has changed.. mostly private now after council sell off, and hardly any kids anymore (yay!!)

Feels good to be back, oddly

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                              Live next door to my childhood home,long story.Buts it's now owned by a private firm that can't be bothered.So many previous tenants just wrecked the place,changed this knocked that through.Now its all borded up deralict with smashed windows etc.Such a pity,was such a great house.Dispite living next door,there is really not a lot that can be done about it apart from calling out health officials due to rats appearing around the overspilling bins and overgrown dump of a garden.Yep it's become the fly tip site of the estate because nobody lives there,and nobody keeps a check on it.I can remember dads garden well dug and trimmed brimming with veggies.
                              i guess its nice to live next to your childhood home.
                              it brings back happy memories.

bit it must be sad to see it in such a bad way.

im sure if u had the money you would buy it do it up and live in it.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                                Just moved back to the estate I grew up on 1977-1987.
                                Has changed.. mostly private now after council sell off, and hardly any kids anymore (yay!!)

Feels good to be back, oddly
                                so what is like compared to when u where there as a kid.

us it as friendly as it was back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X