Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone order Sea Monkeys through comic book adverts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone order Sea Monkeys through comic book adverts?

The Sea Monkeys were featured prominently in comic books throughout the 1970s (and 1960s apparently) The ad was this

Pretty cool looking! Imagine owning a happy swimming family of cute little critters in a bowl!

This is what you got, if they ever managed to hatch....

Brine shrimp. The tings you feed aquarium fish.

Is it any wonder that The Sea Monkey Generation grew up to more cynical?

I've heard that some people also fell for the X Ray specs, but I must have been a smart 9 year old because I figured they must be too good to be true!

Re: Dis anyone order Sea Monkeys through comic book adverts?

Yes.. They grew (tiny), but its very easy to kill them accidently

Comment

The sea monkeys ad usually had a page to itself, whereas those for X-ray specs shared a page with lots of other small ads for similar items--50 tricks of self defence was one I remember, plus a pen-sized telescope that was shown spying on a girl.

I have a vague recollection that sea monkeys were given away with a UK magazine in the early 70s.

Comment

I found the concept a bit disturbing to be honest. Made me feel like some malevolent deity who could bring these tiny animals to life when I chose and dispose of them when I wanted. Think I left it too long, as only some of mine hatched and I decided to release them in the local brook at the bottom of my road.

Comment

Re: Did anyone order Sea Monkeys through comic book adverts?

Always read the fine print: "Sea-Monkeys not exactly as shown."
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I like the heading"So eager to please, they can even be trained" yeah to float around a bit then die

Comment

I was one of the poor suckers who fell for the X-Ray Specs. That said, they did provide a reasonably good illusion of bones as seen through your fingers, but that was about it.

Comment

Working...
              X