Ta ra Hilda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ta ra Hilda

Jean Alexander who played the busy body nagging Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street has died today aged 90. I bet Stan's in for some more nagging now https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...lda-ogden-dies
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: Ta ra Hilda

I was so sorry to hear of the death of Jean Alexander. She played the role of Hilda to perfection, and she and Bernard Youens (who played husband Stan) created two of the best loved characters in Coronation Street, at a time when the programme was top quality drama with a generous sprinkling of humour. Anyone who watched the serial in its hayday, the 60s through 80s imo, would be familiar with just how wide Jean's acting ability was during her depiction of Hilda; a prime example being Hilda's breakdown after receiving Stan's spectacles from the hospital where he had just died, which was marvellously portrayed and genuinely affecting. Hilda was a strong female character in the Street at a time when the serial abounded with them: Hilda Ogden, Ena Sharples, Elsie Tanner, Bet Lynch, Annie Walker and many others. The series today is so much the worse for having lost such characters. She was, of course, also Auntie Wainwright in Last of the Summer Wine for many years, where her comic acting ability was to the fore.

Thank you, Jean, and RIP.

Comment

R.I.P sad news indeed.
      Heather

Comment

Legend!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

SAD INDEED A VERY RECOGNISABLE FACE INDEED.

SHE WAS ALSO IN HEARTBEAT AND Z CARS

HILDA WAS A LEGENDARY CAST MEMBER ALONG WITH Ena Sharples, Elsie Tanner, Bet Lynch, Annie Walker.

R I P HILDA.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It was funny when Eddie Yeates the bin man was lodging with Hilda & Stan,they were always up to mischief but Hilda always sussed them out,do you remember she always wore curlers and a scarf

Comment

This was very sad news indeed about Jeans passing. I was only just 10 when Hilda left Corrie so wasn't really into the Programme then and have no re-collection of Jean as Hilda par old Footage. Ironically I have been watching loads and loads of the repeats of Last Of The Summer Wine since probably Sept and even then (as before) I was amazed by Jean's talents in playing Auntie Wainwright and always selling items to people (regardless of it they wanted them).

I know Hilda and Stan where brilliant on Corrie - nearly everybody say's that Hilda and Stan was the best couple ever - probably closely followed by Jack and Vera and sally and Kev (in their various maspells as man and wife) and even today Sally and Tim, but for me Jean will always be Auntie Wainwright - though of course I can not dispute Jean's acting as Hilda. Just as Auntie Wainwright seemed to take Jean's career into another stratosphere - though both roles Jean had was equally as good in differing ways

RIP Jean Alexandar

Comment

Working...
              X