Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Text Adventures

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
    I have to be serious here; what are you playing that on? If it's a 360 you could be in for a nasty surprise. I traded my copy after I experienced the bug that corrupts the game save. The official line is to make multiple saves so if it comes up, you try another. Since this would have meant a restart for me after thirty hours, I just got rid of it.
    Quad core pc 3gb ram GeForce 8400 GTS or something!

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
      Quad core pc 3gb ram GeForce 8400 GTS or something!
      You should be okay then, it only seems to be an issue with the console versions.

Comment

You should be okay then, it only seems to be an issue with the console versions.
        I do have an occasional problem, when the flash screen comes up, sometimes it just reverts to desktop. Another prob was solved by updating graphic drivers.

Comment

On the consoles, the game loads up, but once you select a game to continue, if the bug has struck, the loading screen comes up and it freezes.

And Ubisoft won't fix it, as it isn't a big enough problem, apparently.

Comment

For your creamy text-adventure-nostalgia goodness - hop along to this website here for a slew of emulators and links to downloadable games - including some commercial games that have been set free into the wild. For anyone looking to play the games on their Windows Mobile / Pocket PC device - this is my favourite. A quick Google for 'Frotz' or 'Z-machine emulator' or 'z-machine interpreter' and the name of your system should return joyous results. Happy day.
            Last edited by Sculpher; 22-07-2009, 19:11.
            Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
            Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
            While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
            Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
            -Kingsley Amis

Comment

YOU ARE IN A ROOM. THERE IS A LOCKED DOOR AND A KEY ON THE FLOOR.
              WHAT NOW?

>GET KEY

SORRY, I DON'T UNDERSTAND. WHAT NOW?

>PICK UP KEY

>GET ALL

>GET F**KING KEY F**KING DOG MACHINE

>QUIT

Happy memories, indeed.

I remember one adventure game on the Spectrum where, right at the start, you had a puzzle involving getting through an airlock where there was no oxygen. I tried and tried to solve it and, after weeks, gave up. About a year after, I saw the answer in Crash; you had to type 'hyperventilate'. Ridiculous! I was 11, how the hell was I supposed to know that?
              The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
              Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker View Post
                YOU ARE IN A ROOM. THERE IS A LOCKED DOOR AND A KEY ON THE FLOOR.
                WHAT NOW?

LOL Break the key in half, put the two halfs together which gives you a whole, climb through it, the end rofl
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                  LOL Break the key in half, put the two halfs together which gives you a whole, climb through it, the end rofl
                  Oh wow. That's too much - be honest, did you ever work for Infocom or Level 9?

Remember reading a review of Leather Goddesses of Phobos - they mentioned finding a length of rubber hose, so they tried tying it. The response was along the lines of:
                  Congratulations. By tying the hose you have earned four thousand points and have beaten the game.
                  But seriously, folks, you cannot tie the rubber hose.

Really wish that someone would get these old games working on mobiles. Give me Infocom's back catalogue, the Lucasarts point and clicks and Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters on my BlackBerry and I'll be a happy lad indeed.

Comment

Really wish that someone would get these old games working on mobiles. Give me Infocom's back catalogue, the Lucasarts point and clicks and Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters on my BlackBerry and I'll be a happy lad indeed.
                    It really depends on what mobile you have...
                    -Kingsley Amis

Comment

I can only ever remember playing two on my spectrum. Both by the same software house (can't remember which one). One was called Invincible Island, never finished it, kept getting caught by a tribe of cannibals and ended up on the menu. The other was called urban upstart where you are a stranger in a place called Scarsdale and I either ended up in prison or a hospital bed after clashing with a local football hooligan.

These days I have a 360 but get grunts of displeasure from the Wife whenever I go near it.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Sculpher View Post
                        It really depends on what mobile you have...
                        If you have an iPod Touch/iPhone, then Frotz is available via the App Store; which is then open to download all manner of IF games. The touch keyboard is a bit cumbersome, but nothing beats a good text adventure when off for a 15 minute skine in the toilets at work.

Which I would never do, naturally. Ever. Purely hypothetical.
                        The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                        Marcel Proust

Comment

I just got my iPod Touch AND the Frotz app is FREE at the moment! Yaaaay!
                          -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Originally posted by Sculpher View Post
                            I just got my iPod Touch AND the Frotz app is FREE at the moment! Yaaaay!
                            You're in for a treat - I'm playing it a lot at work. Covertly, of course...

It'll keep me busy until they finally release a ZX Spectrum emulator for the iPod Touch.
                            Marcel Proust

Comment

It's a real winner - oh the hours of my youth that I will relive on my 'Touch. Hooooray for nostalgia!
                              -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Originally posted by Secret lemonade drinker View Post
                                ...until they finally release a ZX Spectrum emulator for the iPod Touch.
                                Well - the Commodore 64 emulator is out finally in the appstore - so a Speccy one can't be far behind.... anybody?
                                -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Working...
                                X