RIP Andrew Sachs (1930-2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Andrew Sachs (1930-2016)

Actor Andrew Sachs, best known as Manuel the hapless Spanish waiter on Fawlty Towers died on November 23. He was 86

Re: RIP Andrew Sachs (1930-2016)

So sad to hear that Andrew Sachs has passed away. A much-loved and respected actor, best known for playing Manuel, but with a much wider and distinguished body of work. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      So sad to hear that Andrew Sachs has passed away. A much-loved and respected actor, best known for playing Manuel, but with a much wider and distinguished body of work. RIP.
      Indeed I can only echo this.

It is just so sad that all the people in Entertainment seem to be passing away so near time-wise (in particular in 16) , it just feels like a part of my life seems a Million Zillion Years a-go and especially being "introduced" to Fawlty Towers in the Mid 80s seems more like 60 years since than 30-odd

What can I say though about Andrew's acting - Andrew as Manuel was top drawer and every episode and scene and did more than a convincing job of the Spanish Waiter than could ever be imagined! Sadly though Fawlty Towers for as brilliant and as far fetched as it was in equal measures was/is classic comedy at the top of it's game before we inherited Politcal Corrcetness and people taking fun out of others was not rascist etc

I always - just once wanted Manuel to come out the winner v Basil - which never happened but I think Manuel's closest was either with the Mouse/German Episode when Basil said good work Manuel or it could've been the Builders Episode. Either way Andrew was a class act at his impersonating/taking off of a Spanish Waiter (which never dawned on me Andrew was not Spanish until years laster) which shows the awesome job Andrew did. Fawlty Towers to me will always, always be a timeless Classic of 12 Episodes with an awesome cast - that I am sure continued off-screen in it's own way! One legacy Andrew and John and the rest of the cast is how brilliant the Programme was/always will be!!

Rip Andrew Sachs

Comment

He was so funny as Manuel from Barcelona

Comment

Sad indeed.

so maybe thats why theyre showing fawlty towers on bbc 1 the other night.

Rip andrew.

didnt hear anything about it on the news.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember Fawlty Towers from its original transmissions and at school impressions of Manuel were very common and popular. That was a time when comedy was actually funny and makers of comedy didn't have to lever social messages into their scripts or worry that someone was going to be offended by a Spaniard being played by a non-Spaniard, for no offence was ever intended, nor did people scour TV looking for things to be offended about. I don't think Fawlty Towers could be made today, and certainly not by the BBC with their obsession with PC.

Comment

Working...
            X