Favourite smells as a child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favourite smells as a child

Used to love the smell of fire lighters.

Comment

The smell of wild roses as you walked down Plough lane in Wokingham, nr Reading, Berks. Long gone now with a housing estate on it now.

As someone said Steam trains/stations.

The smell of cigarettes in the cinema

Old boys smoking pipes.

Comment

Tarmac has been mentioned previously, but I remember being told to breathe in deeply when passing newly laid Tarmac as it was good for your lungs.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          Tarmac has been mentioned previously, but I remember being told to breathe in deeply when passing newly laid Tarmac as it was good for your lungs.
          I remember one of my teachers mentioning that.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I will be surprised if breathing in Tarmac fumes is still advice teachers give out.

The smell of chlorine that hit you as soon as you went into the swimming baths on school swimming trips.

Comment

As we are near Christmas, cinnamon always reminds me of Christmas time.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The sort of popcorn and floor wax smell of Woolworth's

Comment

Yes thats one smell i like as well as shoe polish.

Teachers really said it was a good thing to sniff.
                  Why was it considered a good thing to breathe in.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                  i will be surprised if breathing in tarmac fumes is still advice teachers give out.

The smell of chlorine that hit you as soon as you went into the swimming baths on school swimming trips.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tetrachloride

As found in dry cleaning machines in your local laundrette
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

One of my cousins used to think the exhaust of my Uncle's car smelt like sweets, which I thought was weird.

I've heard leaded petrol fumes used to had a sweetish smell.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        One of my cousins used to think the exhaust of my Uncle's car smelt like sweets, which I thought was weird.

I've heard leaded petrol fumes used to had a sweetish smell.
                        Probably why I thought leaded petrol smelled like cream cakes when I was young!

Other smells, while not necessarily favourites, certainly take me back to childhood if I catch a whiff of them now. Old linoleum reminds me of so many old buildings, that strong PVC smell reminds me of my Wendy house, garden fires, the print of catalogue pages, and a mix of freshly chopped raw vegetables remind me of my mam preparing meals.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Another would be oil based paints as well as non oil based paint.

smell of a room after its been painted for a few days its lovely.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The dust on the valves on my mum's radiogram when it was warming up - that one still gets me!
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                              The dust on the valves on my mum's radiogram when it was warming up - that one still gets me!

Yes, but in my case it was the valves in our old telly. I don't think we had a fully transistorised one until about 1980.

Comment

Back in the 1970s, a man living near my grandmother's house had a sporty type of motorcycle. It may have been a Norton. when he rode it past us, there seemed to be a nice smell from the exhaust. Years later c.1996, I was at Brooklands Relived. The same smell hung in the air has motorcycles were ridden up the old test hill. I found out it was Castrol R oil mixed in with the petrol.
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X