The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: Railway Stations

First Great Western benches
      The guard waving his flag
      The noise of train doors being slammed

Comment

Most of the railway stations that had Victorian fireplaces etc. either were closed, demolished, or the building was boarded up and locked securely when I was growing up (1970s). any that remained were demolished by the 1980s.

I remember the Great Western benches. These were from the original Great Western Railway, not First Great Western. This company has nothing to do with the original.

Semaphore signals. Most of these have now been replaced by colour night signals. The crashing sound they made when they were changed.

Standing on the platform watching a coal train pass through.
        Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

The old Manchester Victoria was a gloomy but atmospheric station when I was using it as a student in the late 1980s. Quite a few locomotive-hauled trains and smoky 1st generation DMUs still around in those days, of course. I used it again a few weeks ago for the first time in 26 years and it is now completely without character. Progress?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalBall View Post
            The old Manchester Victoria was a gloomy but atmospheric station when I was using it as a student in the late 1980s. Quite a few locomotive-hauled trains and smoky 1st generation DMUs still around in those days, of course. I used it again a few weeks ago for the first time in 26 years and it is now completely without character. Progress?
            It needed a lot of work to fit the new tram lines in. At least they kept the Victorian fittings & map in the tiles.

Comment

I remember boys taking down numbers of trains

Comment

Manchester Piccadilly had some toilets that were little changed from Victorian times, with coin operated cubicle doors & such.

Sadly these went in some redevelopment a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  Manchester Piccadilly had some toilets that were little changed from Victorian times, with coin operated cubicle doors & such.

Sadly these went in some redevelopment a few years ago.
                  Were the toilets original and had pull chain cisterns

Comment

Railway stations like Oakworth as featured in the film 'The Railway Children
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Quickfare ticket machines that only took cash and had no facility for card payments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascom_B8050_Quickfare

APTIS ticket machines in ticket offices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APTIS

CRT displays for arrival and departure times of trains complete with burn in on the screen.

Mechanical displays for arrival and departure times of trains. Click click click click click when they changed information.

Comment

Does anybody remember the British Rail giant cookie sold at stations and on trains? They were a bit before my time but I might have eaten a few when I was very young. A victim of railway privatisation.

British Rail also had a reputation of producing dubious and unpleasant sandwiches which were once the butt of many jokes.

Comment

M,Y LOCAL STATION PORTADOWN FROM 1972.

ANOTHER PIC BELOW FROM AROUND THE EARLY 1900'S
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember Casey Jones Burgers were common at the London stations, & another snack food outlet called something like Travellers Fare at many other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              I remember Casey Jones Burgers were common at the London stations, & another snack food outlet called something like Travellers Fare at many other ones.
                              They were both owned by British Rail. Casey Jones burger bars were to be found in most major stations (Leeds had one) and Traveller's Fare was the station snack bars and brand name for BR drinks, sandwiches, snacks etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X