Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bus Stations (Depots)

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post

And the most grotty bus station award goes to...Eldon Square, Newcastle! This is where I caught the bus home throughout my childhood. Conveniently located below the shopping centre with no ventilation, you could practically cut the diesel fumes with a knife. Thankfully my buses moved out of there around the late 90's and the whole thing was redeveloped in 2007. It's now forms the lower floor of the shopping centre.
    Very evocative photo. I can practically smell the diesel fumes just looking at it!

Comment

Here in Bournemouth they demolished the bus station early eighties. Now they want to build a new one. Why didn't they just update the existing bus station for nowadays?

Since it closed their has been a carpark.
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        That bus station had gone by 2007, but the National Express coaches never went there. They used to go to the old bus station up in Gallogate. That too has gone and they go to another elsewhere in the city - the latter I think was already in operation in 2007.
        It must have been the Gallogate one then. I stayed in Jesmond for a few days back then and upon leaving the hotel, I basically asked the taxi driver to take me to the National Express coach station in the city.

I even remember Birmingham had a grotty bus station like that as well, in the mid to late 1990s.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have a very vague memory of buses in the station under the old Bull Ring in Birmingham. That would have been in 1997(ish). When I went again in 99/2000 it seemed to have been replaced by an indoor market with lots of record and clothes stalls. I think it's now TK Maxx.

Comment

Ormskirk Bus Station has not changed much since it opened in 1981. They did pull down the brick shelters on about 2005ish and replace them with glass shelters. The Bus Station bogs still stink so not much change there then.

Comment

My dad was a bus driver in the 60s-70s, as a kid i would walk past and enjoy the smell of the diesel and oily rags. He worked at Weaste depot in manchester
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
              X